How to remove decal?

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok , this isn't about a Mopar but. I have a 2011 Work and Play Toy Hauler. I store it under a 41' carport but the morning sun hits the front of it and the decals are shrinking and discoloring and I figured I'd just remove them and leave them off.
That is if I can find a way to remove decals and the residue left behind. This is on smooth fiberglass gel finish.
Can anyone help me, "GET-R-DONE"?

hair dryer and very flexible plastic putty knife heat up the glue on the decal and slowly work the decal off of the body.

If the decal is on glass use a razor blade.

I used these methods on decals that were on my truck when i bought it.

being very careful not to get it to hot I have dun this in the past (10 years ago) using a heat gun, holding it at lest a food away and starting at one side , I heat the area with a sweeping motion until it is about to hot to touch and lay the heat gun down and they seem to peel off using a bondo spreader or even just your fingers pulling evenly and slow, and as it cools stop and reheat the next few inches... Worked for me on an old XLT Ford truck and then I wiped what glue that did not come off with a medium acid tone (mild reducer)

hair dryer and very flexible plastic putty knife heat up the glue on the decal and slowly work the decal off of the body.

If the decal is on glass use a razor blade.

I used these methods on decals that were on my truck when i bought it.

Short and sweet dodgedifferent2 :cheers: X2 and thank you 8)

Thanks guys. What I'm worried about is the gray looking , I guess its the glue off the decal still left on the camper. I mean the decal has physically shrank 3-4 inches in length and you can see this gray stuff where the decal use to cover.
So Memike, you say Acetone will get this off?

Thanks guys. What I'm worried about is the gray looking , I guess its the glue off the decal still left on the camper. I mean the decal has physically shrank 3-4 inches in length and you can see this gray stuff where the decal use to cover.
So Memike, you say Acetone will get this off?

acetone (stinks to high heaven and flammable as all get out)or "goof off" will work. sometimes acetone will etch the gelcoat depending on how much and how long it's been scrubbed down with it. go lightly and you'll be ok.

Be careful with that acetone, you'll need very good ventilation...the fumes are extremely flammable!!! Also wear rubber gloves, not the safest stuff to use...
You might be able to buy a vinyl eraser for your drill that will help remove it..http://www.eastwood.com/vinyl-eraser-and-arbor.html

First thought was burning the gel coat. I read the reviews and that is what happened to one user on a RV. I can see where these would work well on something your going to repaint. thanks

I seen my son use that vinyl eraser before and it was incredible watching him remove old glue of a 4 wheeler at the shop varmintjcl :cheers: and it did not burn threw the plastic body 8)
I forgot all about that :eek:ops: Yep that would be the tool for this job it sounds like, cool new tool this old fart did not have 15 years ago 8)

Harbor freight sells a decal remover. It like a rubber buffing wheel you put on your drill. It doesn't hurt the paint and takes the decal and the glue right off. I have a friend who owns a car lot and they use this rubber eraser all the time on cars he buys and sells.

treblig

Heat is your friend but be careful being that it's on fiberglass.

I own a vehicle graphics business. The adhesive remover you want to use to clean it up really fast and really good without hurting the paint is called Rapid Remover, after you get the decals off. \
Here's a link. It is worth every single penny, trust me, especially if you are removing and cleaning up quite a bit.
Spray it on, wait a minute or two then use a plastic scraper or firm squeegee to scrape off the glue followed by paper towels. Then wash it off right afterwards with soapy water.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/130537813605?lpid=82"]Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover for Vinyl 32oz Sprayer | eBay[/ame]

Use mineral spirits , wd-40 , goo gone and a plastic scraper

At work we use auto solv, its used to get tar, glue etc of vehicles

wow!! looks at all this advice :cheers: I had a brain fart on acid tone, mineral spirits is what I was trying to think of :eek:ops: my bad, again.:banghead:... SGBARRACUDA (Roy) looks like some great tech help here :cheers:

fabo members are the best :-D

Man I'm overwhelmed with the replies. I have a heat gun so I'll use it to get the decals off. Then start with mineral spirits and WD-40. At least I know these won;t hurt the finish. I did use Goo-Gone on another camper I had but it did remove the paint. Thanks for all the replies.

If you take them off and leave them off, the surrounding paint will have oxidized, so in reality, you would still see a big difference in the paint

Also be careful not to get the area too hot, for one it will make a mess of the adhesive. And it could possibly mess the fiberglass up.

If you take them off and leave them off, the surrounding paint will have oxidized, so in reality, you would still see a big difference in the paint

If thats the case of the color difference, just use a buffer and some compound to get the oxidation off.

I thought of that. I keep the toy hauler waxed so maybe it won't be to noticeable. If so I'll have the decals remade. It really sucks that the quality of the decals went bad so quickly. Right in the middle of these decal is another that says "Forest River Work And Play." These decals look great .I guess they were made out of better material.

The glue on most decals will get soft around 150° F. Then you can peel if off.

A hair dryer may not overheat the decal as easily as a hot air gun.

I had a 2008 Cedar Creek 5th wheel by Forest River and wrote to them and they sent me a whole side stripe that had shrunk and cracked for nothing. This was in 2010...don't know if they are still that generous .

I had a 2008 Cedar Creek 5th wheel by Forest River and wrote to them and they sent me a whole side stripe that had shrunk and cracked for nothing. This was in 2010...don't know if they are still that generous .

I'll give that a try. Thanks

By the way I used a hair dryer and was very careful with a single edge razor blade on the edges and pulled it off in small pieces...took a while then used Goo Gone for the glue.

-
Back