How to remove door check strap on 62 Valiant?

-

Lee Robinson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does one have to remove retaining rivet on the body to remove door check strap on a 62 Valiant? Or is there a way to remove it internally in the door. Is the check strap re-installed with a special rivet? Lee

Yea, you have to remove the rivet. I use a screw thing that you can get at an office supply company to replace it. It is a thing they use to assemble documents in a binder. It is a low profile screw and a little threaded part. They come in different lengths so you need the short ones. I can post a picture if you can't picture what am describing.

Yea, you have to remove the rivet. I use a screw thing that you can get at an office supply company to replace it. It is a thing they use to assemble documents in a binder. It is a low profile screw and a little threaded part. They come in different lengths so you need the short ones. I can post a picture if you can't picture what am describing.
Thanks for the reply. I did remove one the rear doors by removing the rivet. I didn't see any other way to do it.
I'm parting the car so they won't be getting put back on.

Lee, I figured you wouldn't mind if I hijacked your thread at this point because, after all, us '62 Valiant guys gotta stick together (it's a "one-year-only" model in many respects)!

Per our telephone discussion, I did try to contact several 3D plastic printing companies in the area to see if they would be willing to replicate some '62 Valiant and Lancer knobs, but none of them even took the trouble to return my call.

Would anybody know of a 3D printing place that might be willing to print some simple brown plastic Valiant knobs?

Though tedious, after grinding off the bottom side of the rivet for removal I've had success drilling and tapping the rivet body with 10-24 threads and using a pan head screw/washer to reattach preserving the original "look" when viewed from above. After reading Hyperpaks solution I think I'll try that next time.

@Bill Crowell - I have a few spare knobs for '62 Valiant and '62 Lancer I'd sell but your inbox was full so I could not PM. PM me if interested.

-
Back