How to remove heater control bezel?

-

wes beem

Reaction score
Looking to repaint my dash, I'd like to remove the heater control bezel to make things a bit easier, but i wanna be careful not to break it since its going back in.

315742347_172620518720811_2153632698549431159_n.jpg

If I remember correctly, there are two 3/8” or 7/16” nuts on the the back of it. You need to remove the control lever knobs with the set screws on the bottom of them

The bezel has 2 studs sticking out the back toward the firewall

If it mounts like the full face 67 dart.

There are two small screws that are accessable under the dash and run through the heater control bracket.

Notice the melted damaged area below the lower slot ( image is upside down from the way it's mounted in the car)

20180501_155057.jpg

20180501_155106.jpg

Also taking out the radio and ash tray will give you a good deal more room to get to the nuts. From the picture you have already removed the instrument cluster, should be easy access to the left side.

do they attach through the heater control bracketry?
studs go through the dash frame, through the heater controls and then the nut.

I hate this set up as it might have been easy at the factory but it sucks thereafter. I cut the studs and plastic posts off and bolt the controls to the dash with a flat head screw and nut. the 70 Dart bezel has two screws through the top edge anyway, plus the nuts for the radio controls. That way you can remove the bezel without any issues and without disturbing the heater controls. Once the bezel is off the heater controls are a lot easier to remove using the flat head screws while you hold the nut in place with your fingers.

The 67 bezel photo I posted was my attempt when I was 16 to remove it, not knowing about the 2 tiny screws from behind. The screws go into holes on the plastic posts (missing on the photo above) on the bezel in probably the same location. I thought there might have been some type of press on retainer so I pulled harder. My dad was not happy :(

I ended up putting 3 screws in from the front, 2 along the top and one to the left of the radio, sort of like the 68-69 had.

-
Back