How To Remove/Install Clutch Pedal Spring With Pictures

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
67valiant 100 submitted a new Article:

How To Remove/Install Clutch Pedal Spring With Pictures

Here's a new and easier way to remove/install the spring on the clutch pedal. ......Note this only works with the pedal assembly out of the car...... This method requires only three tools: a hammer, flat head screw driver, and a 7/16 socket.

View attachment 1714983278

View attachment 1714983279

View attachment 1714983280

The next step is to remove the clutch starter switch.

View attachment 1714983281

View attachment 1714983282

View attachment 1714983283

The next step is to remove the C-clip on the opposite side of the spring side.

View attachment 1714983284

View attachment 1714983285

View attachment 1714983286

View attachment 1714983287

Ok now take the hammer to knock the end over. The goal here is to move the pedal over enough to clear the pedal bracket. This will allow the pedal to swing up thus releasing spring tension to remove the spring.

View attachment 1714983290

View attachment 1714983291

View attachment 1714983292

View attachment 1714983293

View attachment 1714983294

View attachment 1714983295

Now if your leaving the spring off, make sure to swing the pedal down, and re-install the c-clip & the clutch starter switch. If you are re-installing the spring just reverse the steps.
This method you don't have to mess around with washers. I hope this helped and feel free to comment.
Charles

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not press the pedal down in the car and throw spacers in the extended spring coils. Then release the pedal and pull it out.

Wasn't being a smart ***. Posted so others with pedals in the car wouldn't pull the assembly before releasing the spring.DD

If there's one thing I've learned in my semi-advanced age is that are many ways to accomplish the same goal. I appreciate that members here share their methodology to help others.

Thanks for sharing
Grant

This needs to be a Sticky in this section. Great job!

49T&C

A great tech article in Mopar Muscle this month. Push down the pedal and stuff washers between the open wraps of the springs. Also great info about modifying the linkage stroke for better disengagement at higher rpm's. toolman

I read your original post and saw your photos. Sorry, I didn't realize you were re-posting photos and instructions. Those springs are a pain to remove for sure.
toolman

Thx 67valiant, & toolmanmike (a good read )

Funny anecdote...

Quote from a long time friend.

"the third thing that will still be functional after a nuclear holocaust is those
(expletive deleted ) Mopar clutch pedal return springs".

FYI, the other two are,
1)door dingers
2) cockroaches

lmao.

Thx again gents, always a pleasure!!!

SO............How do you install the spring back on? LOL

I'm having trouble with a HD unit with the side bracket which bolts to the dog house.

Just do the steps in reverse! But I'm not really sure this method is aplicable to the HD clutch pedal setup.

This way works best. Pedal in the car too

Clutch Pedal Spring 25-1.jpg

This way works best. Pedal in the car too.

To all,
The only way I was able to remove the ^+&%@# spring, was to cut it off with a Dremel tool, while the pedal assembly is still in the car. I tried washers, pry bars, large screw drivers, cussing cursing, just about everything except "Holy Water", NOTHING WORKED, there was almost no room to work in. My car is a 69 Dodge Dart. MAKE SURE you have a water soaked towel stuffed up behind the assembly, so the spark won't burn the carpeting.
Bob Matose

To all,
The only way I was able to remove the ^+&%@# spring, was to cut it off with a Dremel tool, while the pedal assembly is still in the car. I tried washers, pry bars, large screw drivers, cussing cursing, just about everything except "Holy Water", NOTHING WORKED, there was almost no room to work in. My car is a 69 Dodge Dart. MAKE SURE you have a water soaked towel stuffed up behind the assembly, so the spark won't burn the carpeting.
Bob Matose
Years ago my dad came up with the washer idea when the clutch pedal broke and I didn't know how I was going to get the spring back in since it goes in expanded. He said expand it with a come along put 2"x1/8" thick washers between some of the coils at the bottom, drop it in and slide the washers out. Worked like a champ. Later experience I found only need 4 of these washers. To take it out shove 4 in the bottom of the spring have someone push on the pedal and just lift it out. As you put them in the bottom of the coil it puts an arc in the spring which helps you take it out. I keep 4 of those washers in the tool box.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere where someone used a floor jack to expand the spring to insert washers for reinstalling it. You hook one end around the front axle of the jack then remove the jack saddle and hook the other end of the saddle hole and pump.

Re:72 demon
PO left washers in. Even though they were thin fender washers I had to drive them part through with a screwdriver and hammer. Then grasp with vise grips, turn ,pull, twist and cuss to get them out. Pushing clutch to the floor would not release any of them , just make them somewhat easier to pull.
Yote

-
Back