How to remove windshield?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
I think I have a good lead on a windshield at the Junk yard on a 66 dart, like mine. How do I remove it? And is it possible to remove it along with the seal intact?

-- I think I have a good lead on a windshield at the Junk yard on a 66 dart, like mine. How do I remove it? And is it possible to remove it along with the seal intact? --
-- There's a locking, rubber strip on the outside of the seal. It should be split in the center at the outside bottom of the windshield. Pull it out at one end with a pair of needle nose pliers, and then pull it out all around the windshield gasket. At this point you should be able to pull the windshield out - pushing it out from the windshield helps. This is a 2 man operation. - The seal will remain attached to the car, but now it can easily be removed. Depending on the condition of the seal, it may or may not be reused. - Good luck.

-- There's a locking, rubber strip on the outside of the seal. It should be split in the center at the outside bottom of the windshield. Pull it out at one end with a pair of needle nose pliers, and then pull it out all around the windshield gasket. At this point you should be able to pull the windshield out - pushing it out from the windshield helps. This is a 2 man operation. - The seal will remain attached to the car, but now it can easily be removed. Depending on the condition of the seal, it may or may not be reused. - Good luck.
Thanks great info. Now tell me, am I supposed to have trim piece around the windshield? Because I do not.

-- Thanks great info. Now tell me, am I supposed to have trim piece around the windshield? Because I do not. --
-- Not sure - My car is a 65 Valiant 100, and it does not have a trim piece. - Google a picture of a 66 Dart, same model as yours, and find out.

On a 66 dart, there is only the seal, lockstrip and glass. No trim.

Do yourself a favor and just cut through the seal after you get the locking strip out. The windshield will come right out then use a new seal..you will have less chance of breaking the windshield and the old dried out seal leaking if you use it.New one is only $100 + $20 for a locking strip.

Do yourself a favor and just cut through the seal after you get the locking strip out. The windshield will come right out then use a new seal..you will have less chance of breaking the windshield and the old dried out seal leaking if you use it.New one is only $100 + $20 for a locking strip.

Agree to cut the seal and get a new one. It will break easy if they used a sealer and you did not cut it.

I agree with cuttin the old seal! You're going to find out that these old windows delaminated and fog at the bottom from the old adhesives used to bond them together! Any excess horsing around to try to get it out of the old seal could hasten the delaminatuin process and render the window no better than the one you need to replace! If you must try to save the old gasket, you may find that it is bonded to the window, so you better take along a spray bottle of soapy water, and a guitar string or plastic putty knife to help unbond the runner from the glass!!

You may also find that there is a plastic piece of trim inside the window where it meets the dash! Usually in tough shave from years of sunlight, this trim was color coded to match the interior color of the dash frame! Save it if it's in good shape, they're hard to find in any color!!

also take a butter knife or frosting spreader and break the bond of the rubber to glass on the inside at least the top and sides. It will pop out like butter,.

These are great tips guys, thanks. My current windshield suffers from the white fog along the bottom, a section a scratches and 2 little rock hits. Tell me, if I forget trying to keep the seal on the donor car, is this a 1 man job to remove at the junkyard? Can 1 person safely carry it maybe wrapped in a blanket?

I remove them all the time by myself, and have set many a glass by myself also!! I have safely removed a dozen or so early A body Cuda rear windows, and carry them up the stairs to storage by myself!! You can carry it with just a pair of gloves!!

Once you do what has been explained,sit in the seat with your feet square on the glass at 11 and 1 and apply slight steady pressure and see if it moves. If it does then apply a little more until you feel it give more but you will also want to remove that pressure as it starts to push out. Also make sure there are no rocks on the bottom of your shoes or put rags on the glass side.

You should see if if you could get a new one installed locally. I thought the cost to get a new one installed was rather reasonable but things change. You 'll be into the 50 year old one for at least $100 for a new gasket plus time & cost of retrieving the old one .

You should see if if you could get a new one installed locally. I thought the cost to get a new one installed was rather reasonable but things change. You 'll be into the 50 year old one for at least $100 for a new gasket plus time & cost of retrieving the old one .
You might want call around your local auto glass place, I got a new replacement glass for $100 a couple years ago.

-
Back