How to remove?

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got almost everything taken apart except for this intake manifold. This sucker is what feels like its glued in. Any advice for getting it off without hurting it. I used my pry bar a little to get the front to start lifting but I dont want to break anything.

Thanks!

20200322_161453.jpg

Doubble check you have ALL the bolts out.

Then go slow. Use plastic wedges (homedepot) or wood wedges (make your own) to keep lifting it. Think block and tackle

Couldnt wait for someone to give you advice, had to take it upon yourself to figure it out? no fair!

Then go slow. Use plastic wedges (homedepot) or wood wedges (make your own) to keep lifting it. Think block and tackle
Playin feetball??

All the bolts were out, they are dirty! Everything is dirty...

I was able to get it to lift up though.

Couldnt wait for someone to give you advice, had to take it upon yourself to figure it out? no fair!

Well I "figured it out" all right

Here I was telling my wife I wasnt buying anymore parts...

Anyone got black mopar performance valve covers laying around they dont want? :rofl:

All i got is aluminnium M/T’s
And my edelbrock ones are on the engine i assembled 2 years ago and still havent fired.

if you can not break the seal on the intake ...take a flat tip screwdriver between the intake and the top of the timing chain cover...and tap it in to break the seal...

That's how I'm going to take the valve covers off :thumbsup:
Chain and a pickup truck?

had an old garage door i was removing. One piece. Took out all the bolts and it wad ready to go. Buddy’s truck was just outside. I went out to move it out of the way. Oh, look a chain laying in the grass!
Quietly hook chain to door and other end to truck. Hopped in and drove away...
This is something i typically never do. It was priceless!

That'll buff right out...

Having this engine open is so cool!!! I've seen this stuff before but now that I know a little more of what I'm looking at its exciting. This is the only marking I can see on my current camshaft. The rods have little swirls around them, looks interesting.

On the block where the distributor is, is this normal from the factory? It looks lazy to me if so.

Also my air intake is dirty! What's the best way to clean it out? And how do I take off this fitting for the heater/ac hose, it's all rounded at the bottom and I dont want to mess it up worse.

20200322_170739.jpg

20200322_170133.jpg

20200322_170207.jpg

20200322_170216.jpg

20200322_171246.jpg

20200322_171253.jpg

Oh here is the only marking on the camshaft that I can see (currently) it's just a "C"

20200322_170023.jpg

Do you know what camshaft is in the car?.....lol

marking are usually on the front or rear of the cam....engraged

Well I "figured it out" all right

Here I was telling my wife I wasnt buying anymore parts...

Anyone got black mopar performance valve covers laying around they dont want? :rofl:

Never, EVER, tell your wife you aren't buying anymore car parts! Between buying sprees you simply say "I haven't bought any parts in a long time". That will soften the blow of all those large heavy boxes that show up when you're at work!

That'll buff right out...

Having this engine open is so cool!!! I've seen this stuff before but now that I know a little more of what I'm looking at its exciting. This is the only marking I can see on my current camshaft. The rods have little swirls around them, looks interesting.

On the block where the distributor is, is this normal from the factory? It looks lazy to me if so.

Also my air intake is dirty! What's the best way to clean it out? And how do I take off this fitting for the heater/ac hose, it's all rounded at the bottom and I dont want to mess it up worse.

View attachment 1715491947

View attachment 1715491949

View attachment 1715491950

View attachment 1715491951

View attachment 1715491954

View attachment 1715491957
Heat and a pipe wrench. failing that, a hacksaw blade and a vise grip,sawing a little at a time until you just see the points of the threads showing. Should relieve enough pressure to get it moving. Done it successfully a few times. Now i grind the sawzall blades to fit inside the fittings. Blades get flimsy though.

Never, EVER, tell your wife you aren't buying anymore car parts! Between buying sprees you simply say "I haven't bought any parts in a long time". That will soften the blow of all those large heavy boxes that show up when you're at work!

Yea well I'm in the doghouse with car parts haha. Last she said was you better not buy anymore damn parts. My reply was "I didnt buy any today." :poke::D

rabbit hole time - have the urge to clean anything there doc LOL

if you haven't taken the pushrods and lifters out you should mark where they come from, it will be good info, mark then "cylinder 1 exhaust, cylinder 1, intake and so on.

-
Back