How to tell what a 360 originally came from ?

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :hello2: I have a new member asking me how to figure out something and is new here :happy1:
He has a 1973 dart swinger and a motor that he know's is not an original.
It was a 318 car but he got a 360 with it :-k
His question to me by pm is how does he go about figuring out all the details on the motor and what it came out of :-k He has the casting numbers and all :cheers:
He said my help would be much appreciated.
I would like to answer this question for this new member with zero post's
Is there a tread here some one can pull up and send to him by pm ?
Or can a good tec jump in here and help :happy1:
I get this often and I some times can quickly answer some of them, but Can a member send me in the right direction :happy1:

Thank you all for your time :happy1:

He can check the block for a vin #. Otherwise he will likely only be able to find what year the motor is which will be cast on the block.

He can check the block for a vin #. Otherwise he will likely only be able to find what year the motor is which will be cast on the block.

yep, the first four of the VIN stamped on the passenger side pan rail pad will tell all. he can run the vin # through a decoder

Thank you adamR, I will send this info to him at least he will know what year model it is :-k that should be all he needs to cary on :cheers:

yep, the first four of the VIN stamped on the passenger side pan rail pad will tell all. he can run the vin # through a decoder
And thank you very much 73AbodEE, I quess I or he needs to find a Vun # decoder :D Thank you :cheers:

Didn't full vin's stop in 1969?

It may have a partial vin and you may be able to narrow it down based on cars produced at certain factories.

What I did when I got my 340 was it had the last 8 digits of the vin which is probably what the 360 has(I don't know when they stopped putting the vin on the blocks).Anyways I got the year(first digit,then the factory(second digit) went to the internet and looked up what was built that year in that factory.It narrowed it down to two cars.Hope this helps.

Didn't full vin's stop in 1969?

It may have a partial vin and you may be able to narrow it down based on cars produced at certain factories.

Im not sure when they stopped full vins.

It really isnt going to matter what it came from originally anyway. The year it was built and the casting # of the heads and intake will tell you everything about it.

Hi it was my question everywhere i go everything jus pops up for the car vin but cant find anything on what the numbers on the block mean i have decoded the date i know its a 1973 block but i found a number down on the back of the motor and it looked like 3m360R4471 the casting # 3418496-4-360 and another question on the crank the #3418640-2 what is the (2) mean

im not positive when the cut-off year was, but i figured there would be enough of a stamp to tell the application

Hi it was my question everywhere i go everything jus pops up for the car vin but cant find anything on what the numbers on the block mean i have decoded the date i know its a 1973 block but i found a number down on the back of the motor and it looked like 3m360R4471 the casting # 3418496-4-360 and another question on the crank the #3418640-2 what is the (2) mean

What info are you looking for exactly ? All 360s had cast cranks and the same rods. They were all 8-8.5 compression. All had 1.88 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves.

If it was a 4bbl motor (73 casting could be from a 74 Duster or Barracuda) It would have the 340 cam, and a windage tray I believe.

I have the same question... my cast number is the exact same. Not sure of year but im told it came from a motor home. Do they have a different cam? And id like to figure out the year too.

-
Back