How would you bend this frame back?

-

Duggie

Reaction score
To start with, you guys that can rebuild a convertible top out of nothing are so far ahead of me, I can hardly relate. Hopefully this fix isn't too far over my head.:D

Somewhere in this car's life, a heavy politician must have sat on the top frame while doing the parade wave. The frame bow closest to the rear window looks bent.
IMG_8955.JPG

I'm wondering if the fix is to remove the rear bow and lay it on my bench top. Trace the drivers side, flip the frame over, and try to strong arm the bent - passenger side back to match the tracing of the driver's side. Assuming the driver's side is the proper shape...

Yes/No?

To start with, you guys that can rebuild a convertible top out of nothing are so far ahead of me, I can hardly relate. Hopefully this fix isn't too far over my head.:D

Somewhere in this car's life, a heavy politician must have sat on the top frame while doing the parade wave. The frame bow closest to the rear window looks bent.
View attachment 1715653227

I'm wondering if the fix is to remove the rear bow and lay it on my bench top. Trace the drivers side, flip the frame over, and try to strong arm the bent - passenger side back to match the tracing of the driver's side. Assuming the driver's side is the proper shape...

Yes/No?

Sounds like a good idea.

I don’t know what the frame bow looks like but you could use a ratchet strap to bend it back

Last edited:
A little heat on the bow, the ratchet strap idea, and a gentle approach would probably do the job.

Well it can't only just be bent down. It's moved toward the left (driver side) too. That means the left side of the bow is tweaked too. It would be best to analyze the assembly and determine exactly what is out of place and how to correct it.

I think I'd rent or borrow a porta-power and anchor it at the junction of the left floor and inner quarter panel wall. The business end could then be placed at the elbow of the bow opposite of the force that caused the damage. Hydraulic power could easily bend it back. (Or rip it off the car)

Or maybe take it around to a few friendly body shops and see if one will adjust it for you. I'd hope they would only charge you an hour's labor.

Last edited:
You need to work on your story. I would tell people that it was from a naked red-head during a photo shoot.

You need to work on your story. I would tell people that it was from a naked red-head during a photo shoot.
I'd say those hydro lines are magnetized and the roof rails bent towards them and .....caused that car to float in the background. Lol
In all seriousness, I'd take it to a convertible top shop and see what they say. Bets on they've fixed one before and you don't risk ruining it. If the cost is too high for them to fix, they'll probably tell you how'd they do it so you can DIY.

So I came back to my car from a walk on the beach and found this naked red head sitting... oh wait - too late.

The pic is one of the pre delivery photos from near the seller's Rhode Island warehouse. The auto freight company did a great job with photo and written documentation.

The squish on the passenger side pushing over the driver's side radius is a great point. The idea of putting pressure on the frame pivot points while the frame is in the car gives me the heebie jeebies.

Having never tried to shape metal with any more finesse than an anvil vise and hammer, what if I pull the bent frame part off the car and try this;
  • Lay the frame on the bench and ensure the the distance between the attach / pivot points is correct (and maybe fix the pivot points to bench?)
  • Mark the center - mid point of the frame.
  • Bend using whatever heat and force technique I don't know about until both sides match from the center point and the frame lays flat.

I'd say those hydro lines are magnetized and the roof rails bent towards them and .....caused that car to float in the background. Lol
In all seriousness, I'd take it to a convertible top shop and see what they say. Bets on they've fixed one before and you don't risk ruining it. If the cost is too high for them to fix, they'll probably tell you how'd they do it so you can DIY.

HA! And I thought the car was nicely waxed. Come to find out it glows in the dark.

I didn't have any luck finding a shop that would adjust my windows to seal up with the convertible top. I'm still about 1/4" short on one side. Maybe there is a top shop around here that is hip to bending the frame. It's interesting how many shops don't want to touch this old stuff. That little itch in the back of my mind is telling me this could be a personal growth experience if I don't get ham handed with it.

Whoa; lookitall those high voltage power lines. I feel for you man.
You know that ringing in your ears? what causes that? lol.

That's far from the only thing IF that has any cause at all.

Before you bend anything make sure the right side is not more forward more then the left. That alone could account for the shape I see. The factory service manual has detailed adjustment procedures.

Before you bend anything make sure the right side is not more forward more then the left. That alone could account for the shape I see. The factory service manual has detailed adjustment procedures.
Thanks, I'll dig into my FSM. Maybe I can find a reference point or two to measure from before I take it apart too.

There's a virgin section of my FSM. I almost went snow blind from the reflection off those pure white pages. The clutch, transmission, electrical and suspension sections are so grime stained and dog eared from the last six months, I've had to use packing tape to repair the book's binding in multiple places. Lots of good top frame adjustment info in there. Including some information on fixing that air gap between the top side rails and windows. I may be a month getting deep enough into this to report back, but I'll report back to at least acknowledge all the help you guys have given.
:thankyou:

• Lay the frame on the bench and ensure the the distance between the attach / pivot points is correct (and maybe fix the pivot points to bench?)
  • Mark the center - mid point of the frame.
  • Bend using whatever heat and force technique I don't know about until both sides match from the center point and e untwekedethe frame lays flat.

I guess my point is that it was tweaked while cold so it may be able to be untweaked with the correct application of force in the opposite direction. You know like, bending a deck lid over a 2x4 to adjust the fit.
Look for a smudge of sun block or tanning oil on the top. That will show you EXACTLY where her fat butt was sitting when she bent it.

If you don't like the naked red-head story, then I would suggest something about aliens from outer space.

IF you decide to replace the frame, send me a PM. I do have a spare.
PM on the way, Kern Dog. I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about reshaping this part. Here are pics of the left and right sides. Also an overlay of the two sides traced out.

The "normal" looking side:
Radius.JPG

The "funky side". Nice crimp!
Radius Kink.JPG

The two sides traced and overlaying each other...
Radius Comp.JPG

Ooof!

Looks like time to get a template from a known good part. Once you have the correct shape you could sister some flat stock cut to the correct shape, to put it back to normal.

Wish I knew more about metal work. I'm such a babe in the woods, I don't know what "sister" means. This bow attaches to the top fabric. I'm guessing there is wood inside the (maybe) channel shaped bow to nail the top fabric to. I'd put a come-along to the sharp pinch point and pull it down a bit for a partial temp fix, but with my luck I'd bend something else that isn't bent now! :BangHead:

-
Back