How'd I do?

-

vntned

Reaction score
So I just scored a '68 cast 340 out of a '69 dart for $700.

It's disassembled, but mostly complete and completely unmolested! The only things missing was the intake, cam, and valve covers. All of which I would be replacing any ways.

There is no ring ridge in the cylinders and it's stock bore still. The x heads need to be freshened up, but are complete. The steel crank looks mint! Still has the windage tray bolted in. Rods look mint, pistons are perfect, oil pan and pickup are nice, etc..

I also scored a drivers side 340HP exhaust manifold from the same guy for an extra $100.

So, how do you think I did?

You stole it if the motor turns out to be OK. The manifold is worth $200-$250 by itself.

treblig

I think you did ok if your goal is to build an OEM iron headed 340. If was going to be an Eddie headed stroker ... then iffy. Re: the exh manifold. Sounds fair as long as its a 68-70. I can't remember if the drv or pass side was the harder to come by. You might want to look into the costs of aftermarket parts vs refurbing stock pieces. The costs can be almost the same (ex. con rods, cyl head assemblies). GL with your build.

Good find! I paid that for a complete short block. A solid start for sure.

Sounds like a great deal. What are your plans? Stock with stock intake and exhausts, or modified?

Well I've got a bad history with 340s...

My first 340 I bought as a 16yr old, from my high schools auto tech teacher. My buddy in the class, I didn't take auto tech, said he spotted a SBM in the shop under a table with a 4bbl intake. I asked the shop teacher and he said it was a 318 an that it could be mine for $150. I bought it, looked at the block good enough to see it was a 340 and was tickled to death! A few months go by, the motor sits untouched, and I needed money. So I sold it to some local kook for $400. A few weeks later I went by his place and he had the motor stripped down on a stand. Being ignorant I asked why the heads looked different than the 318 heads in my duster. He said, "cuz they're TA heads". Still ignorant, I asked what that meant, to which he replied, "it's a 340 6pak out of a challenger TA". I wanted to die!!!

Fast forward 10yrs, and a friend is selling off all his mopar stuff, including a complete '73 340 for $400. I bought it, took it to a friends shop to brag, and he ended up talking me out of it in trade for some 4spd stuff. I tried to buy it back several times but he wouldn't sell it. Then one day, it was gone. Some customer saw it and had to have it. The guy gave my friend $1200 cash for it!

So long story short, I'm holding onto this 340! I wanna build it up as a warmed up street engine to eventually replace the 360 that I'm about to put in my DD dart.

-
Back