Hows this for a 408 Drag Engine

-

MRL Performance

Reaction score
Well we are at it again. MRL Performance Voodoo Krate Killer 408. This thing is a real pump gas Killer

The skinny

1996 360 block 1/2 filled
4.030" bore 4.00" stroke = 408ci
10.4 to 1 compressiom
Aluminum heads(NOT RPM!)
Special Chamber mods
PRW roller rockers
Victor 340 intake
Lunati Voodoo solid flat tappet cam
Forged crank/rods/pistons
Kevko oil pan
950 carb
Custom 3/8 pushrods, made in house
Run on Shell 93 octane
Mechanical water pump
NO Spacers
170* water temp
Valvoline VR1 20w50 oil
Nothing tricky
Super simple combo or is it?

A/F was 12.3-12.6 to 1 BSFC was .390-.460

Cam is 259/267 @ .050"

Heads flow 300+cfm

Intake was gasket matched and nothing else

Engine coatings throughout

So, How much will it make? I know you guys like to take stabs at this so let er rip!

A little more than the blue engine cause it has more cam and the heads are probably R2 judging from the flow. I guess about 35 more HP at a little higher RPM.

Not RPM's as in Indy's, Brodix or RPM copies like Airwolf?

Shbhhhiiiiiit, sounds like my next engine I have on the drawing table!
I wanna run a M1 tunnel ram on it though.

I tried a lot of tuning options. Timing changes, different timing curves, spacers, running at different temps, different lash settings, a little rich, a little lean, it didnt care. It made the same power, within 5hp on every run after we got the tune. That means one thing, MONEY AT THE TRACK. This engine is no finicky and will run strong no matter what the conditions are. The last 12 pulls were almost identical, now matter what I did.

The best tune was no spacer, 86 jets front/rear w/o power valves, 35* total timing, .016" lash

I tried a lot of tuning options. Timing changes, different timing curves, spacers, running at different temps, different lash settings, a little rich, a little lean, it didnt care. It made the same power, within 5hp on every run after we got the tune. That means one thing, MONEY AT THE TRACK. This engine is no finicky and will run strong no matter what the conditions are. The last 12 pulls were almost identical, now matter what I did.

The best tune was no spacer, 86 jets front/rear w/o power valves, 35* total timing, .016" lash

And the #s were? My curiosity is getting the best of me. LOL!!! Just going to make me want to spend my $ quicker. HAHA!!

540 hp at 6400. 530 torque at 4800.???

Some were VERY close.

It made 596HP and 515TQ. The only thing I didnt like about this combo was the torque, and that due to the Victor Intake. We would have done better with a M1, Super Victor or Street Dominator. These were not an option as the customer has a very tight hood clearance issue and the Victor is the only thing that would fit.

Plus its a light car, around >2700# and taking a bit of bite out of the bottom end will help it hook a little better without blowing the tires off.

All in all, damn near 600HP, flat tappet, pump gas with PROCOMP heads, Im happy.

Attachments

• BIGS 408 Dyno Sheet.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 735
  • BIGS 408 Dyno Graph.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 743
Mike, you're like the stripper chick who gets everybody all worked up with these builds. Watching us all drooling & eyes popping out!(kinda- not literally- I mean about the stripper part) Lol!
Great build as always! Someone is getting a nice bracket motor!

I wonder how much faster the car would be with this engine vs the blue 418 you put up this time last year. Both would run on 93 pump gas. The 418 didn't need to spin much over 6000. I think that 418 would probably be faster because it would pull harder. But it also cost more $$. I can't wait to try my stroker with that Voodoo cam.

Beware of the ebay heads, they have the cheapest of the cheap valves and springs.

-
Back