Hp limit?

-

WRB426

Insane 4 Mopars
Reaction score
What would the HP limit on a 383/400 with stock rods and a cast crank? I would say 400-450 max. Anyone have an opinion or experience?

500 or more depending. But there's better choices for rods out there now if you're planning to make big power.

The HP limit is where you end up with motor guts on the ground.

Rod bolts will determine the HP level But 600 with a cast big block crank is probably the max limit.

So subtract 1 horsepower before it blows? Sounds about right.lol No one has ever died from falling. It's the sudden stop that gets them!

Unless it is a long fall.....heart might give out before impact.....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......................splat.....

I know a guy with a Super Stock GT Camaro that runs a cast crank in his 402 BB because its lighter and the car is faster with it????? If you dont have enough money to build it with good rods and crank then you probably dont have enough to make a ton of power either.

Two good points, though IDK if a cast crank will spin faster or is lighter than the forged unit, but lighter is translated into faster rev's. Vale control is another aspect. Valve springs are a big deal with RPM.

of course, your other point,MONEY, controls everything going into the build. Ya can't go faster than your wallet allows.

Two good points, though IDK if a cast crank will spin faster or is lighter than the forged unit, but lighter is translated into faster rev's. Vale control is another aspect. Valve springs are a big deal with RPM.

of course, your other point,MONEY, controls everything going into the build. Ya can't go faster than your wallet allows.

Yes this is soooo true. $$$ = speed. I'm just don't want to screw myself by going to cheap. I'm on a budget but I do want an engine to last at the 450hp level. A stroker motor would be nice but my wallet told me no. I guess I need a new wallet!

I would say go for it and do what you want. If you do some digging it wouldn't be hard at all to find a decent 383 crank. In my younger days a few of those ended up as scrap!!! Stupid I know......

I believe Chrysler used to claim the cast 440 cranks were good for 600 Hp, the forged to 900. I would think the shorter strokes of the 383/400 would be easier on parts, so... I agree a forged 383 crank should be easy to find for cheap.

I used to run a stock tired 400 with a 275 shot of spray before I built my 440. It held up very well with all of the stock cast pieces yet. The pistons finally gave out after 3 years of that abuse.

Yes this is soooo true. $$$ = speed. I'm just don't want to screw myself by going to cheap. I'm on a budget but I do want an engine to last at the 450hp level. A stroker motor would be nice but my wallet told me no. I guess I need a new wallet!

how big or small is your wallet? if we know this we might be able to make a few recommendations that fit it.

My wallet is small. Just starting to gather parts for my 68 Dart. Doing a b motor 4 speed. Would like 450hp for a street/strip car. I have orig. manifolds but I know I'm giving up hp with these. Headers and the 4 speed is a tight fit. So is there a combo that will get me to the 450 range with the manifolds and iron heads or should I bite the bullet and go alum. heads with headers? I'm trying to keep cost down. Have the rest of the car to build. ( body,interior and so on). I have a 69 383hp but it has a 400 cast crank that hasn't been cut yet. Any help on this would be great. Thanks!

I don't know what will hurt your power output more, the stock heads, or the manifolds. 450 HP from 400 cubes with either will be pretty hard to get. Check the current 400 build in the big block section. You can see even with good compression, decent heads, and headers, 450 HP takes a bit of work. Where in MA are you?

I don't know what will hurt your power output more, the stock heads, or the manifolds. 450 HP from 400 cubes with either will be pretty hard to get. Check the current 400 build in the big block section. You can see even with good compression, decent heads, and headers, 450 HP takes a bit of work. Where in Ma are you?

x2 on everything... Specially that "bit or work" part.

Where in MA are you?[/QUOTE]
I'm in Wrentham. Org. from Ashland.

If you dont have enough money to build it with good rods and crank then you probably dont have enough to make a ton of power either.

That's not entirely true.
You can still go quick with inferior cheap parts.
It just doesn't last long.

Sort of backs up the old saying.

1.Cheap
2.Fast
3.Reliable
You can only pick two!!!

-
Back