HP seem right to you???

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
OK so the Dart wasn't running so great so I took it to a local speed shop to put on the dyno. They ran a few runs, adjusted the timing along with a few other things, and in the end had her running pristine!!!! I look over at the monitor and low and behold, 158 HP!!!!! WTF?????? Granted its a stock motor minus a Holley carb and Weiand intake but still 158 HP with 213 Torque?

Does this seem right to anyone? Because, I almost cried.

and what is it a 318, /6 etc need more info and the dyno model too.

well..you don't say what engine you got...so for a /6..it is running great..

the most important thing on a chassis dyno is to tune the car which they did...

what engine/combo is your car

318?

all 3 posted at the same time....crazy

also where did you take it to?

That would be about 185 HP at the crank. Probably about right, especially if it's got some miles on it.

Man, that just doest seem right but like we've both said, its got some miles on her. Probably time for a rebuild

Not that it's terribly accurate at all, but I have one of those windshield mount accelerometers I've run on my 67 Dart 318. Came up with around 200 and change horsepower I think. I'm sure all the settings aren't quite tweaked right on it, but it seems reasonable for what I have. As far as I know mine is stock aside from a 4 bbl intake and carb off of a 340.

I'd say it's about right. You gotta remember the factory ratings were at the crank, not the rear wheels. That engine is only about 185 hp at the crank when new so 158 hp at the wheels is about as good as it gets. Smog era engines were pretty down on power.

I guess I should mention that the 200 number my accelerometer puts out was engine corrected. I think it was set for a 18-20% drivetrain loss when I made the run, so that would put it at around 160 rear wheel or so.

After mulling it over, I think im just gonna have to save up and get everything rebuilt. At least I don't feel like my car was all that different from others. Oh well, it drives great (for now) so screw it. Drive it till it blows up I guess.

158hp ????....at the treads ?????....doesn't sound right.
I have 205hp at the treads in a 4.0 lt 6 cyl....5sp manual, std CR (8.8:1), std cam (at std timing) & v/springs, std ECU mated to a Moristech piggyback ECU, IC&E 7amp ignition, std s/plugs, Pacemaker Comp extractors ( P#4480 ), homemade Cat, homemade side by side 2&1/4" exhaust & muffler, run it on 98 RON petrol, 3" K&N pod filter, std injectors (MPFI), std intake manifold, std throttle body........but I did do a port & polish job on the cyl head, with back-cut intake valves ( std size valves ).
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJTh9F3Vgg0"]YouTube - ED 4.0 dyno run 20-06-10[/ame]

If your running the stock cam id think those numbers are good. Aren't the 318s rated at like 170 hp stock to the crank with no accessories? then you factor in accessories and drive-line loss. The intake and carb probably helped a little but id think that 318 cam is holding it back. Even worse if its a high miles motor that cam could be wore out a bit too turning a wimpy cam even wimpier.

yea im thinking the high mileage plus stock everything is why its 158. No big deal now, its running great. I was thinking of having it rebuilt later just gonna depend on if I get this job or not.
If i get the stock heads done, anyone guess how much HP I'll gain?

Take a weak 318 to make that low of power with a 4bbl.

Yeah, I have no idea what is really in it, it was that way when I bought it. I'm also almost certain it was just pulled out of an F body (along with the rest of the driveline it seems) and had a 4 bbl thrown on top with no rebuild. It runs great, fires right up all the time and purrs like a kitten, just a basic little engine.

Yeah, I have no idea what is really in it, it was that way when I bought it. I'm also almost certain it was just pulled out of an F body (along with the rest of the driveline it seems) and had a 4 bbl thrown on top with no rebuild. It runs great, fires right up all the time and purrs like a kitten, just a basic little engine.
love my mopar ...just remember if you want to go fast for cheap buy a chevy

My buddies 74 AMC Javelin was 164 hp at the rear wheels with an all stock amc 360. I'd say the numbers on that teen are bang on for what it is.

-
Back