Hughes Engine Tech SBM Intake Comparison Write up

-

A56

MoPar Affliction
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not long but interesting:
Making big-time horsepower with small-time cubic inches requires the utmost in technology, research, and know-how. All components need to work in precise harmony, especially the induction system since it has such a huge effect on air velocity, fuel mixture, and power curves.

Intake opinions are easy to find, but spinning the dynamometer speaks louder than any words. The Hughes Engines Tech Center put a trio of small block intakes to the test and the numbers are hard to argue:

smallblockresults-650x344.jpg

These tests were designed to show the power potential of each manifold and each porting level. This was NOT a stock small block engine. It had very good heads, a mechanical roller cam, and needed race gas. Yes, you could run it on the street, ¼ mile at a time. As you can see, the engine had the potential of 700hp due to the cam, compression, and cylinder heads. Later tuning brought the engine up to the 750hp range.

Don’t expect to see the same horsepower increases on your stock 318 with a hydraulic cam and pump gas. If the engine is good enough and needs additional air flow, this is what these manifolds and our porting can provide, and the numbers are relative as they were all tested on the same engine.

We also tested 1” and 2” 4 hole tapered spacers which we have found to make the most power differences. Our part numbers are (1” – HUG SS4150-1AL, 2” – HUG SS4150-2AL). We tested the 340 Victor, Super Victor, and Indy 360-1 intake manifolds. We tested each stock with and without both spacers, and ported, with and without both spacers. 3 tests were averaged.

Maybe one day instead of dyno comparisons or tv shows with whimsical or quirky hosts acting for the camera adnauseam some entity will head to the strip with a rack of intakes (or any other component for that natter) and spend the weekend testing and tuning the various intakes showing the results. Never happen but one can hope :rolleyes:

Nicks Garage dyno'd an M1 and an Edelbrock on a 383 iirc and the M1 sucked. He'll put on a iron intake and dyno it head to head with an aftermarket if he has them on hand. I like that channel, he seems honest and doesn't push any products. Always liked the Holley Strip Dominators on LA's and B's

makes me wonder how much time they spent with each intake re-jetting and playing with the timing

I went from popular Airgap which is praised by most to a Victor 340 intake and felt an instant power increase! Of coarse 3.91's out back and the 292 mopar cam are more of a match for a single plane it seems. Bottom end seems better and throttle response is more crisp and instantaneous.

A lot of what intake to use is application dependent. Anytime it is a actual street car, I’ll say use a dual plane/rpm. If the engine gets a bit rowdy or it is a stroker, I can be a 50/50. More racing than cruising? Single plenum!

And the figures are subjective, it all depends on a lot of variables i.e., bore, stroke, compression ratio, heads milled, block decked, head gasket thickness, & everything else imaginable.

Slammed that “Agreed” button. There is no Information on what those intakes are on or how there built.

Hughes always had a generous dyno. lol

-
Back