Hughes Girdle ! Opinions Appreciated

-

SS Lancer

Reaction score
Pondering the idea of using the Hughes girdle for my 340 build but would enjoy forums comments etc .
Building a pretty healthy 340
11.5 compression
Factory steel crank
Scat H beam rods
JE pistons
Big solid flat tappet
Tunnel Ram with two 450 units
New Alum Rpm heads ported and professional valve job performed .
Ok what would be the max power hp one would put on stock main caps and stock main cap bolts ???

IMO the girdles don't work. There are a couple I've used for BB MoPars that helped, but they were expensive and required some machining to make fit.

I had rules of thumb to work with.

If it's over 550 HP it needs an aftermarket block.

If it spins over 7800 RPM's it needs an aftermarket block.

I've done that much power on Pcar blocks but it just wasn't worth it.

Also, I see you want to use a tunnel ram and a big carb with two 450 Holleys. That's a recipie for a pig. Skip the 450's as IMHO they are junk. Spend your money on a pair of double pumper carbs in the 1.375-1.400 Venturi range that have been set up by a competent carb guy. Well worth the money AND it will save you time and money in the long run.

Also, you'll need a cam that is ground for the tunnel ram. Call a cam grinder and get a cam ground for what you are doing. You'll be much happier in the long run, with less frustration.

Just my .02 that you didn't pay anything for.

I could run new mainstuds I will just need a little more machine work but migbt be worth it over factory grade 8 maincap bolts.

Aluminum main caps and studs go along way for longevity and durability. Kim
Who has them for a Small block?

(Edit; wrong word, who instead of how)

Last edited:
Pondering the idea of using the Hughes girdle for my 340 build but would enjoy forums comments etc .
Building a pretty healthy 340
11.5 compression
Factory steel crank
Scat H beam rods
JE pistons
Big solid flat tappet
Tunnel Ram with two 450 units
New Alum Rpm heads ported and professional valve job performed .
Ok what would be the max power hp one would put on stock main caps and stock main cap bolts ???
I’m not personally sold on the Hughes girdle.
Specs of big solid cam are????
Stud and align bore the mains.
Street tunnel ram set up?
What intake?
I have a M1 that is good for racing big cubes and rpm power.
I also have a Edelbrock STR W/a YY1 top. (Smaller plenum & runner) That is good for the street.

If, IF your good with carbs, then I suggest a pair of double pumpers. If your not so great with carbs, I suggest a pair of AFB’s.
If you just want to (almost) bolt on a set and go, seek pro help for this.

@yellowrose, who is that fella in Florida that does some great carb work? 1Badcolt is in Georgia. So it’s not that far from him.

I'll 2nd the girdle is a waste of money and time. Run a lighter rod and you're fine with stock caps with studs. If you want to retain the H beams, you can replace the #1-4 mains with billet and studs. Lighter parts are the ticket to making any of the factory blocks live. Studs address the caps moving in the block. Billet addresses the caps deforming.

I’m not personally sold on the Hughes girdle.
Specs of big solid cam are????
Stud and align bore the mains.
Street tunnel ram set up?
What intake?
I have a M1 that is good for racing big cubes and rpm power.
I also have a Edelbrock STR W/a YY1 top. (Smaller plenum & runner) That is good for the street.

If, IF your good with carbs, then I suggest a pair of double pumpers. If your not so great with carbs, I suggest a pair of AFB’s.
If you just want to (almost) bolt on a set and go, seek pro help for this.

@yellowrose, who is that fella in Florida that does some great carb work? 1Badcolt is in Georgia. So it’s not that far from him.

BLP carbs is in Florida.

Educate me how is the alum

Crower solid lift
544/558
304/310
Edelbrock TR5 intake tunnel ram
Club rules ( No sideway mounted carbs ) must be inline
11.5.1 compression
Rpm heads professionally ported along with intake also .
I was asking the below poster on the aluminum caps.
What top do you have for the tunnel ram.
My YY1 is a Holley sideways top.
@oldkimmer
Aluminum main caps and studs go along way for longevity and durability. Kim
Who has aluminum caps for a small block Chrysler?
Who has them for a Small block?
(Edit; wrong word, who instead of how)

Last edited:

Sending a photo what top u running ?

20180623_120740.jpg

Forgive me still learning how to navigate on site . Im building a Gasser to compete with the Southeastern Gassers Association so club rules are strict on how the cars are built etc and appearance and intakes must have inline carbs so I found this vintage tr5 Edelbrock and its pretty nice piece and has never been bolted down to an engine I will blast it and clean it up soon .

Sorry, clogged brain cell issue.

TR1Y Not yet installed.

image.jpg
image.jpg

-
Back