hughes rockers

-

dart9ss

Reaction score
Has anyone used the rocker kit from hughes engines. They look like they are well thought out acording to there web page. It comes with shaft shims as well . anyone?

My machinist talked me I to it and some on the adjusting nuts are har to get a wrench on.He said he's built a few bbf motors that run low 5' in the eighth and they did good.It could be me but I'm having problems with my health

FB_IMG_1666572336914.jpg

Those nuts can be a problem without the right wrench some times! Did the geometry work out and the cam lift checked out to be correct. I ran a b3 kit with my old H S rockers the new H S are too long. thanks for the photo. feel better BIG!!

Those nuts can be a problem without the right wrench some times! Did the geometry work out and the cam lift checked out to be correct. I ran a b3 kit with my old H S rockers the new H S are too long. thanks for the photo. feel better BIG!!
It better be right.I didn't put them on but my machinist has retired but has built some pretty neat stuff and a few for me in the past.

I bought a set their rockers a few years ago. Put them on my stroker motor with a hydraulic roller cam. so Far so good.

i didn’t get that kit, just the rockers. They are nice. No stupid needle bearings. Those Chinese rockers with the needle bearings are scary.

I have a set on my SS 383 Dart. One of the roll pins slid out and beat up the keepers and retainer a bit on its way to flying out... this happened with only a couple, maybe three hours on them and the brand new engine.... I replaced the one rocker, a spring and some other small parts just in case. All has been happily racing for many many hours since without a hiccup. I'd recommend them, but I'd like to solve my own mystery as well, if you know what I mean. Maybe a quick test of the pins before use to make sure there's some tension on the pin spline??

Forgot to add... we threw out their shims and set the heads up with a B3 Racing custom shim set and custom length pushrods by Smith Brothers. Excellent way to go, IMO.

Last edited:
Yes that should never happen. I hope they cleared up any issues with that. Not to healthy for a new motor

They did nothing, but I didn't ask.... I never found a cause, but I never feel like you can warrantee a race motor either....just my own opinion.

I'm currently running Hughes rockers. No problems so far. Bought the complete kit from them a number of years ago.

I bought the small block set many years ago and the geometry was spot on and no shims. Just side to side shims.. drag race Street cruising no problems...

I have the small block Indy-Brock heads on my Dart, Which were set up with Indy's big block rockers (shafts are moved up and back). The cam that was installed at the time is a Bullet roller with .668 lift In/Ex with springs set at 195# on the seat and 580# over the nose, the Indy rockers lasted just over a season and a half before they started snapping off under the spring side of the rockers.
I bought a set of Hughes big block rockers in 2010 and put stiffer springs on the heads 250# on the seat and 625# over the nose, no problems with them for 12 years now. So I will give Hughes rockers an A+ for strength and durability, and I have also gone as long as 3 seasons without having to relash the valves with them.

I bought the small block set many years ago and the geometry was spot on and no shims. Just side to side shims.. drag race Street cruising no problems...

I bought the set for my 340. Been on there since 2010. No problems at all. I would recommend them.

What heads and cam?

I have the small block Indy-Brock heads on my Dart, Which were set up with Indy's big block rockers (shafts are moved up and back). The cam that was installed at the time is a Bullet roller with .668 lift In/Ex with springs set at 195# on the seat and 580# over the nose, the Indy rockers lasted just over a season and a half before they started snapping off under the spring side of the rockers.
I bought a set of Hughes big block rockers in 2010 and put stiffer springs on the heads 250# on the seat and 625# over the nose, no problems with them for 12 years now. So I will give Hughes rockers an A+ for strength and durability, and I have also gone as long as 3 seasons without having to relash the valves with them.

Did you notice any difference with increased spring pressure or was that just precaution to keep the roller from skidding?

simalar set up 660/660 the H S rockers i had shims from B 3 they worked fine just had minor interference after i a little dremil work as well. springs about the same 285/680 the geometry is bad with the new H S, Hughes will clear a larger spring and they come with a shim kit. they look like the real deal comparred to jesel or t & D for double the money ! Im sure they will suite my needs. Thanks or the imput!!

My Dart is a stick car, so the the decision was made when I put the beefier Hughes rockers on to up the spring pressure for better valve control on the RPM flare on the shifts. I kick the clutch on each shift, not the quickest way down the track but saves driveline parts. If I remember right , but don't quote me the Indy rockers were only rated for 600# of pressure( of course it was one story before they broke an another after) and Hughes told me 600 to 700# was absolutely no problem with there's.

Another vote for Hughes here. I've used his rockers on both big and small block engines with zero issues. You just need to spend time on checking the geometry. Won't matter what brand rockers you have, if the geometry is wrong, you'll have issues.

Another vote for Hughes here. I've used his rockers on both big and small block engines with zero issues. You just need to spend time on checking the geometry. Won't matter what brand rockers you have, if the geometry is wrong, you'll have issues.

hughs here on my 505 r/b , no problems , dont have to adjust but about once a year , then most are good...

IMG_0474 (1).JPG

For what my opinion is worth I plan to buy Hughes rockers over H&S for my next engine. If I was really going to push the rpm or spring pressure I would skip the rest and use T&D or Jesel.

Tom

-
Back