hughes rockers

-
I have two on the way. get to mock up things. The Sales guy was good, I asked for the measurment to the end of the roller .053 shorter, Much better then were the H S Sits.

Has anyone used the rocker kit from hughes engines. They look like they are well thought out acording to there web page. It comes with shaft shims as well . anyone?
Be sure to torque and loosen the adjuster nut half a dozen times when they are new to ensure that the nuts are fully seated. If you don't do this, one of the nuts could back off resulting in a dropped pushrod while racing an AMG Mercedes resulting in a long tow home from Monterrey.

Cuda38.jpg

Last edited:
Talked to Randy at Harlan Sharp their hands down the best rocker arms for what you're doing Dave Hughes is a I won't say it on this post because it's not very nice you talk to that guy enough you'll never call back there again that's all I can say without getting upset I've been in Mopar guy for 40 years at a high level everything he says he knows is shooting from the hip

TD makes a very good rocker arm but not really necessary unless you're All out racing with for example a 440-1 in the head or something at a high level otherwise Harlan Sharp talk to Randy while I'm on this note anybody running solid lifter cam big block application as we all know lifters suggestions can be all over the place I can tell you from many testing sessions do not run pushrod oiling lifters unless you have pushed oiling you will lose oil pressure and lose pressure from the rod bearings my suggestion for Street application is still the Comp cams 829 - 16 I would not hammer on this lifter too hard keep an eye on it if you want to step up get the 96- 829- 16 this lifter has a very thin oil band that does not lose oil pressure in the lifter galley on a stock block it does not have oil holes in the side of the body like advertised there are two oil holes in this lifter right down inside the pushrod cup area there is a small hole drilled in each side of the pushrod cup area to allow oil to flow down to the axle it's a good design I've used it a few times Comp cams if you call them they won't know anything unfortunately since they're part of Edelbrock and other things now they've lost the ability to go to the shelf and actually pull apart and look at it unlike other lifter manufacturers like bam lifters Brad Miller makes a good lifter bam lifters but you better have a bushed block or you will lose oil pressure if you use a stock big block 383 400 440 application that also goes with some of the other aftermarket solid roller lifters by Esky and other companies that have a real wide oil band and EDM holes drilled in the side of the body of the lifter especially with pushrod oiling if you don't have pushrod oiling which most big block mopars do not do not run a pushrod oiling lifter a lot of people will be argue this subject I test these motors on a regular basis

I ran there rockers on my Indy EZ headed motor. I also had to do some grinding on there rockers to clear my springs

I bought a set their rockers a few years ago. Put them on my stroker motor with a hydraulic roller cam. so Far so good.

i didn’t get that kit, just the rockers. They are nice. No stupid needle bearings. Those Chinese rockers with the needle bearings are scary.
The Chinese stuff is all scary. I do not trust what is in the dye used in underwear. Don't need some nasty chemical in there rubbing off on the privates.
Regarding the Chinese QC, it depends on which company partnered or contracted with them. I know Rosemount who supply industrial instrumentation manufactures in China. Their products are expected to meet rigid industry QC standards. Some facilites I worked on required Mil spec on everything. Swageloc tube, tube fittings, pipe and pipe fittings. This carries into instrumentaion devices. This also carries into the 9002, 9007 etc standards which involves manufacturing practices and procedures.

Talked to Randy at Harlan Sharp their hands down the best rocker arms for what you're doing Dave Hughes is a I won't say it on this post because it's not very nice you talk to that guy enough you'll never call back there again that's all I can say without getting upset I've been in Mopar guy for 40 years at a high level everything he says he knows is shooting from the hip
I don't really go waving the Hughes flag but I did buy the rockers and they worked really well. Got some bad technical support. I know they don't make their cams as much as people want to believe. And I know they sell a lot of hype...
But the rockers at least for my situation were spot on on geometry and have worked great...
That's at least one thing I know for my experience they seem to have right... Now as far as all their other high-dollar options I'm clueless,.

have a set of 1.6 offset on my 426 stroker no problems in the 3 years and 10.000 miles of use once set up properly , a pain in the *** they worked well , no complaints

I ran the Harland sharps with the B 3 kit to correct the scrub. Worked fine for 6 years about 200 plus passes. There was some interference with a 1.550 spring retainer . sold them. reorded the H S. !! with the checking spring and adjustable pushrod and no shims the were scrubing .118 thou. towards the edge of the valve. Hughes sent me 2 rockers to check had them in 2 days . they are .058 shorter then the H S. roller tip to inside shaft putting them in better postion, the scrub with .030 shim puts the scrub at .049 on the center of the valve. Im happy got the kit cryo treated for about $250 more. spoke to Mike at B 3 the H S shafts needed .100 offset holes drilled plus the shim kit to correct that issue. I'm very happy with the decision and service . only made 2 phone calls. the instructions very much spell out the proper setup and Geometry you should have. Ball and cup no oiling thru the rods. I run the milodon dual line, have 70 lbs going thru the traps S R indy style oiling. These rockers say clear a 1.650 spring. I'm not a pro racer, not needing Jessel or T D.

I ran there rockers on my Indy EZ headed motor. I also had to do some grinding on there rockers to clear my springs
I don't know why you would have had to do any grinding is this a big block they make shims and spacers that go between the rocker arms and the rocker arm shaft assemblies in order to have your roller tip lined up perfectly over the top of the valves remember your push right alignment

I don't know why you would have had to do any grinding is this a big block they make shims and spacers that go between the rocker arms and the rocker arm shaft assemblies in order to have your roller tip lined up perfectly over the top of the valves remember your push right alignment
Yes big block. During inspection in the off season discovered they were rubbing on the spring.

I'm trying to picture your rocker arm rubbing on the spring the tip of the rocker arm roller only comes in contact with the tip of the valve unless the side of the rocker arm was hitting do you have any pictures of that I'm interested in seeing that

Mike it,s all good thanks for your imput. I got it , been doing this for a long time. did you ever read the geometry pages from B 3 engines? if not take a look great explanation on rocker arm mopar geometry.

Bob B.

I'm trying to picture your rocker arm rubbing on the spring the tip of the rocker arm roller only comes in contact with the tip of the valve unless the side of the rocker arm was hitting do you have any pictures of that I'm interested in seeing that
No I sold the car 5 yrs ago. To buy the car in my avatar

My machinist talked me I to it and some on the adjusting nuts are har to get a wrench on.He said he's built a few bbf motors that run low 5' in the eighth and they did good.It could be me but I'm having problems with my health

View attachment 1716035044
My machinist talked me I to it and some on the adjusting nuts are har to get a wrench on.He said he's built a few bbf motors that run low 5' in the eighth and they did good.It could be me but I'm having problems with my health

View attachment 1716035044
Get Well!

I use a piece of.030 welding wire to slip in-between the rocker and spring retainer to check the clearance...

-
Back