hughes rockers

-
I've used a bunch of them over the years. No failures.

I think the Hughes rocker setup will serve you well.

I have an early set of BB 1.7's that has and will make 950+ hp with a 4150 1050AN, Jones street roller and a 175 shot @511".

Our recently completed 511" had steel Comp Magnum rocker setup and they definitely would benefit from longer than stock valves when it comes to geometry. Comp rates them up to 850lbs which is more than adequate for most people, the only drawback to the Comp stuff is lack of rocker ratio options.

Skip the 1.6 stuff and give us 1.7's if anybody is listening.

If I were going beyond the 850lbs mark I'd be calling Jesel. Sonce I can't afford that I perused the classifieds until I found a used, rebuilt paired shaft rocker setup. My 2c on the current rocker offerings.

If it was me I would call B3 for a spacer kit and be done with it. ATI is to dampers B3 is to correcting messed up geometry on shaft rocker systems.

Last edited:
I ran the B 3 kit on my older H S rockers .Michael makes his own kit now from T&D ! it,s not a crazy motor 785 hp at best . going to dyno in march. I had a tighter scrub with a .030 shim under the shaft not as centered as I would like the .045 shim made it worse. Still a work in progress, thanks everyone for the imput.

I ran the B 3 kit on my older H S rockers .Michael makes his own kit now from T&D ! it,s not a crazy motor 785 hp at best . going to dyno in march. I had a tighter scrub with a .030 shim under the shaft not as centered as I would like the .045 shim made it worse. Still a work in progress, thanks everyone for the imput.

785hp is no joke. Looking forward to seeing your project make some noise.

so I finally finish push rod length , Highest lift was .005 over the cam spec. .715 lift. cam is .710 adjusting the checking push rod either way a few thosands has lots to do with proper geometry.I spent several hours deviating from different set screw positions and pushrod lenghths. Hughes instructions are quite easy to understand. They give you a starting point as well, takes guess work out of it! Smith bros. will be shortening my existing push rods!

took awhile finally got Manton pushrods. I'm happy with the Hughes rocker arm set up! primed to 55lbs off the drill. Lots of flow to the rockers. Indy's set up works well. new cam bit more lift and duration, heads max wedge ported by Dwayne . enough flow hoping for 785 hp when I finally get in on a dyno.

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2582.jpg

Another vote for Hughes here. I've used his rockers on both big and small block engines with zero issues. You just need to spend time on checking the geometry. Won't matter what brand rockers you have, if the geometry is wrong, you'll have issues.
Did you use their supplied shims for geometry adjustment?

Good to know, do you remember how many you used per pedestal?
It has always varied from head to head. I have used none at all, to stacking a couple per pedestal. Each head has to be checked.

It has always varied from head to head. I have used none at all, to stacking a couple per pedestal. Each head has to be checked.
Yeah that’s where I’m at ordered an extra shim pack from Hughes so I have enough. I’m running the speedmaster heads essentially Edelbrock rpm heads

My Hughes rockers have been trouble free since I installed them on my 440. I did use the B3R geometry kit to get them centered up. Cam is a Hughes STL3842. Stealth heads.
20180610_141103.jpg

20180610_134327.jpg

20180625_141052.jpg

20180625_202902.jpg

-
Back