Hurst Industries Fiberglass Fenders and Hood

-

Jet

Reaction score
My 68 Barracuda has the Fenders and hood from an original BO29 car. The owner opted to go with Race weight glass and sold them
20180120_144728.jpg
to me. I found this tag inside the drivers side in front of the wheel.

Is that an IL after the ST?

Edit - I played with the image some, definitely not Hurst.

hurst.jpg

Last edited:
I saw that too. That’s very cool. I’d be for taking those off and putting them away.

Can you take a picture of the front top of the fender where it mounts to the inner fender. I am looking for detail on how the original fenders were made versus repro fenders.
TIA

The thread title says HURST, but the faded text looks more like MARSTIL to me. I couldn't find anything on that. No doubt rare and valuable.

It does look like Marstil or Harstil? I'll take a couple more pictures next weekend. The Hood also has a 3/4 or 1" thick outer edge. I unbolted them from the car myself back in the early eighties. It was one of Eddie Smith's "West Virginia Hemi" cars that my brother and I bought. I don't know if Eddie ever raced this particular car or not because it had been sitting for sometime.
They are pretty straight and I would hate to have to mount another nose to this car.

It does look more like "M" or "N" prefix but I found this:

Harstil Industries Inc
Boatbuilding and Repairing Companies
17150 15 Mile Rd
Fraser, Michigan 48026-3442

Founded in 1956, Harstil Industries Inc is a small organization in the boatbuilding and repairing companie

It does look more like "M" or "N" prefix but I found this:

Harstil Industries Inc
Boatbuilding and Repairing Companies
17150 15 Mile Rd
Fraser, Michigan 48026-3442

Founded in 1956, Harstil Industries Inc is a small organization in the boatbuilding and repairing companie
Nice find Ground pounder. It's an H
A Internet search shows it was owned by Harold H Stilson Jr. Also connected to Stilson tool which manufactured pieces for the big 3.

Can you take a picture of the front top of the fender where it mounts to the inner fender. I am looking for detail on how the original fenders were made versus repro fenders.
TIA

20180127_130647.jpg

I must say this is somewhat tardy...
You know, you just can´t tell us, I mean not on this Forum, you have an original SS Barracuda Hood and a set of fenders, and not showing any pictures. That´s not kind... :)
It would be interesting to know if the fenders look something like on this picture. Picture is of the Mule Car, and we know there were some problems initially with these fenders.
As for the hood, it would be interesting to see if the aluminium sheet plate is in place under the scoop...
Yes, I know one can be busy at times, but give it a try, will you... I know I´m not the only one who would appreciate it...
Thank you, Stefan
mule fender.jpg

There was no metal plate on the hood when I got it in the early 80s. I filled in the hood pin holes so I can re-drill them. A member here had PMed me saying the originals were made in Ohio or Canada. I do find it curious that a Detroit boat builder would make these.

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

There was no metal plate on the hood when I got it in the early 80s. I filled in the hood pin holes so I can re-drill them. A member here had PMed me saying the originals were made in Ohio or Canada. I do find it curious that a Detroit boat builder would make these.

View attachment 1715143306

View attachment 1715143307

Well I on the other hand, find it peculiar this boat builder starts making these parts... at some point Chrysler apparently swapped vendor for these parts... you never know.
Is there a like 2-3" wide strip of the hood around inside of scoop, where this alu plate was to be screwed?
A photo of the backside of the hood would be interesting to see if possible.
If you know the guy you got these parts from, maybe you can squeeze out some more info.
Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time, and btw nice build...

There is a 2" strip around the inside of the scoop. The hood has the 1" or so lip on the outer edge all the way around. It isn't that thick all the way through. Not sure on the weight, but I'd guess 30lbs ? I'm using them on my car.

-
Back