HVH Super Sucker on the way

-

ProStreetDuster

Reaction score
I just ordered a 1" HVH Super Sucker that's made to work with the Air Gap RPM I picked up awhile ago.
I'm tossing this along with the Air Gap and a Holley 700 DP(because it's laying around LOL) on my 72 Challenger that has a 73 low compression 340 motor a small cam and headers and an electronic ignition. I'm just messing around trying to see how much I can get out of this thing until I rebuild it with some 10.1 pistons and a 528 lift cam.
Still on the list of things to do,
1. Clutch fan
2. A/C water pump
3. ported 308 heads with bigger valves/port match to intake and thin head gaskets.
4.dynomax Ultra mufflers and an X pipe
5. remove the 3.23 gears and get some 3.91's or 4.10's
6. Pro Form Main body? :Would I notice any improvement on a low compression motor?
7. Recurve the distributor.
8. K&N air filter and K&N Xstream top

Anyone got any other cheap ideas, it's a daily driver/hot rod

I would get a 3000 stall and a 750 vacume secondary carb, as the 700 DP will be too much for the street all the time. This will also compliment the cam and heads.

BJR Racing

Tony, it's a hgih $$ carb spacer. They are very nicely tapered and made to fit certain intake flanges. It smoothes out the transition between carb and intake, and can add or subtract plenum volume on an engine. Some guys love them. As far as spacers, they are very good if you can work with them.

supers.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these? Very pricey but might be worth the coin if they work. Please advise. Terry.

With your combo, plus the airgap,it may hurt your power down low.
Get that cam, and some good headers, and then you probably will see results with the spacer,but it should be last on your list.
The rear gears are going to be your most cost-effective improvement.

I use spacers all the time, but I really only use open ones, to make a small plenum bigger. IMO, a dual plane with a spacer of any kind is the wrong intake choice. I'd rather run a smaller port single plane (like a street dominator vs an M1) and make the plenum larger, than use a dual plane with a spacer. If the intended usage takes it full throttle over 5000 on a regular basis, a single plane may make more power in the used rpm ranges. It's just an opinion tho.

I've seen alot of people having very good luck with this 4 hole spacer on an Air gap RPM. All the 4 hole spacers I've run have given more bottom end Torque and response.
here's a post about the same subject. AdamR and Barracuda340S had good luck with these on Air Gap RPM intakes as well.
I'll give it a shot if it doesn't work well for my setup I also have a TM5 single plane intake I could try it on.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=43815#post43815
I'm waiting on a phone call about some 4.10 gears for sale right now.

I have oneon my 340. It made only 1hp more at peak but made around 15 more at average threw the pull.

15 HP average, I'll take that. I've heard 10-18HP so that sounds right, but we shall see.
I should get the 4:10's home this weekend so once I get them installed that will make a big difference.
Yea BJR, a 3000 converter will be on my list.
Thanks for the input everyone

I just saw a post on these on Moparts wich reminded me I was aske to post my Dyno results with the HVH. I used a 1" aluminum version made for dual plane intake even though I have a single plane Eddy Victor on my 340.

With no carb spacer it made 408ftlbs @ 5300rpms and 473hp @ 6900rpms.
Average tq and hp from 4400rpms to 7300rpms was 382ftlbs and 423hp.

With the 1" HVH spacer peak was 410ftlbs @ 5200rpms and 479hp @ 6900rpms.
Average from 4400-6900 was 383ftlbs and 441hp.

So at peak it was good for 2ftlbs but lowered the peak 100rpms and made 6hp more.

Average picked up 1ftlb and 18hp. I wish I had a 2" version to try on the dyno.

Also an interesting not is the shops Holley 950 carb made more torque (416 @5300rpms) then my Proform 750 (830cfms) did but made the same horse power. So a bigger carb doesnt always make more hp and less torque. In my case it was the other way around.

Not a bad increase fpr a $80 spacer.

-
Back