Hydraulic Clutch Master Mounting Location

-

72Duster440

Reaction score
I see most if not all people mount their hydraulic clutch master cylinders at an angle where the factory push rod goes through the firewall. I am assuming this is for the correct pedal ratio, and the fact that there are mounting brackets readily available.

My issue is my headers, I am running Pro Parts semi fenderwell headers and there are tubes right in that spot. I'm wondering if anyone has mounted it up higher on the firewall which would make the pushrod more horizontal? I'm not opposed to welding something to the clutch pedal if needed to get the correct attachment point.

I came across this pic, but don't know the details of the install. Mine is using a hydraulic TOB and a Wilwood master. If I make a custom bracket I can get it to fit in that normal spot down low, but the master and the two lines coming from it are all less than 1/2" away from a primary tube, which I'd like to avoid.

002-jpg.1714674279.jpg

Last edited:
You can see if the Hemi brake master cylinder bracket would work, it’s designed the raise the master up over the Hemi valve cover.

Last edited:
I think that's just for the brake master, I was asking about the clutch master, as I am planning to go hydraulic instead of mechanical. I might be able to fab up a similar bracket to use with the clutch.

It appears this would fix all my problems for clearance, but I'm not sure how the assembly actually mounts, or how I could fill the reservoir once it's stuffed up under the dash.

Screenshot_20221119_175556_Chrome.jpg

I think that's just for the brake master, I was asking about the clutch master, as I am planning to go hydraulic instead of mechanical. I might be able to fab up a similar bracket to use with the clutch.
Ok I was thinking it was your brake master cylinder.

It appears this would fix all my problems for clearance, but I'm not sure how the assembly actually mounts, or how I could fill the reservoir once it's stuffed up under the dash.
They do sell remote clutch master cylinder reservoirs so you can mount them anywhere. I’m getting ready to install my Tremec 5 spd. with a remote reservoir. You can mount your master cylinder on that clutch pedal and just run a tube to the reservoir.

6A587AE8-BE3B-4AB2-8136-05D4CC5256F1.jpeg

D749A30D-30F8-4764-AF0A-8B16F03081C1.jpeg

we had a McLeod hydro T/O on an 833 in a 340 65 A. We had to run a trans support bracket from the clutch M/C bolt to the inner fender so the firewall would not flex. We had terrible 'feel' without that bracket and the flexing. And bleeding the line to the T/O was a PITA as the bleeder was on top of the hose.

I wish I could remember the member here, made a few slick ones that mount in the pushrod hole and mount the cylinder of a remote reservoir clutch master. I THINK someone makes these commercially as well

I've seen his brackets, I have a similar one but it is too big to fit in that spot on my car.

Here is mine looking through the wheel well. The inner fenders are cut for fenderwell headers.

IMG_20221120_132820.jpg

IMG_20221120_132838.jpg

Related question
I have an 85 d150 that I'm looking to convert to an 833 od, has a 727 in place now.
The bellhousing that came with my 833od that I plan on using, is out of an 86/87 truck, has the bracket on it for the factory hydraulic slave cylinder attached.
It also has the conventional z bar setup included with the clutch pedal rod and all the mechanical linkage for that style of actuation. I am only lacking the fork itself, to put in the mechanical actuation linkage. Looks like a collection of parts off of various year 81-87 trucks based on the tags on everything.
I am thinking that I would like to run a hydraulic setup. I found an all I piece master/line/slave assembly online for the OE setup. I have not bought it yet. I'm liking the idea of a wildwood/McLeod setup instead. Is there an external slave setup that works off a conventional clutch fork like the mechanical setup would? Would I be better to run one of their internal expanding hydraulic throw out bearing? I see many choices for clutch master cylinder bore available. How would I choose? Would like to utilize the OEM clutch pedal if at all possible no matter what actuation setup I go with.

I believe Wilwood has a hydraulic slave cylinder you could get. You might need to know what fork you are using first, to make sure you get one with enough throw, and have to fab up a mount to hold the slave.

I made a little progress on this. I'm just about ready to drill a big hole in the firewall, but want to double check measurements once more. It looks like where I drilled the hole in the pedal rod gives me the exact amount of stroke as the master cylinder. I also fabbed up a reinforcement plate for the firewall, it'll weld to the factory pedal box.

20221120_202227.jpg

20221120_161921.jpg

20221121_195747.jpg

I believe Wilwood has a hydraulic slave cylinder you could get. You might need to know what fork you are using first, to make sure you get one with enough throw, and have to fab up a mount to hold the slave.
I'm hoping to utilize the factory slave cylinder mount as came on my Bell housing

I made a little progress on this. I'm just about ready to drill a big hole in the firewall, but want to double check measurements once more. It looks like where I drilled the hole in the pedal rod gives me the exact amount of stroke as the master cylinder. I also fabbed up a reinforcement plate for the firewall, it'll weld to the factory pedal box.

View attachment 1716013895

View attachment 1716013896

View attachment 1716013897
That helps me with my question, at least the "how to" now gotta figure out "which particular master and slave cylinder to get"

I have no idea what it's from, it came with my trans, but the guy said it was a small block shift fork. It appears brand new, if you figure out what the measurements of what you need are, I can measure the one I have, I won't be using it.

That helps me with my question, at least the "how to" now gotta figure out "which particular master and slave cylinder to get"

Here's a 1.375" stroke slave for $100.
Wilwood Disc Brakes - Master Cylinders: Slave Cylinder

And the master they say to use with it for $105

Wilwood Disc Brakes

I also purchased one of these brackets to get the perfect angle on the clutch master, turns out I won't be using it with how I am mounting it, but it might help you?

FIREWALL BRACKET AND PEDAL HARDWARE KIT – FWB200 - EastSide Motorsports

-
Back