hydraulic flat tappet lifters ??

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know why some lifters have a parting line near the face?(see photo). And then some do not have the parting line (see photo). Thanks for any help

tappet.jpg

tappet 2.jpg

Must be Schubecks
No Jim I see these in print all the time. They may just be using a generic photo... To the OP that's not a "parting line". Just a machined groove. I think that's just a generic pic.... may be wrong. Order one lifter and see...I've done it before.

Crower Chevy lifters all have this groove in the bottom, although not sure why.

It's a "hardened" or at least "different material" "cap" that's pressed into the base of the lifter. AC Delco lifters still have this feature on some models, and other aftermarket suppliers use those bodies with their internals. One of those suppliers calls the caps "braxed" whatever that means?

It's a "hardened" or at least "different material" "cap" that's pressed into the base of the lifter. AC Delco lifters still have this feature on some models, and other aftermarket suppliers use those bodies with their internals. One of those suppliers calls the caps "braxed" whatever that means?
I think 'braxed' is actually 'brazed' that made it past the editor/spellcheck. If these dissimilar metal caps were an attached base as theorized, they would be more precision assembled as a friction weld like a hardened tip of a valve, ie. spin one side against the other until they weld themselves together.
Hole Saws - Braxed-Carbide, Metal Cutting [REL-HS-14HO] - $50.00 : Crowder Supply Store

Just for giggles : allh ydraulic mopar lifters (.904) s.b., b.b., Hemi are the same .

LOL. Many think this. I personally malfunctioned back in the early '90s, when I bought a MoPar Performance 260/268*,.430/.450" hydraulic PurpleShaft cam/lifter kit. Back then I was basically working 2 full-time jobs and was trying to fix an updated tow rig to replace my tired '70 D200 Camper Special ('75 440 powered), using a '86 D250 as a base, with a J-headed '71 360. I built the motor in mini-sessions around all my jobs/pay work. I unboxed the lifters/lubed them and slammed-em in. I had an intermittent lifter tick that was there more than not, and it was driving me crazy. After convincing MoPar to send me a set of lifters (at my expense) and credit me back on proof of defect, I jerked the valve covers (again, for the 4th or 5th time!) and pulled the rocker shafts and pushrods. Fished all the lifters out and wallah: 5 or 6 of the lifters were BIG BLOCK LIFTERS, boxed wrong (I went back and found the 16 tappet boxes) and shrink wrapped in the kit. The high oil band was causing problems in my LA. I don't think BBs care as much where the oil band is, as all the Comp/Crane etc. lifters are really SB type. Plus there is the cup diameter difference on early Hemi/early B and A-polys, solid or hydraulic, among other subtle things. I got your "joke." :)

-
Back