Hydraulic lifters - are these good?

-

Charlie_es_cool

Reaction score
Hello there everyone. These are a set of Hughes 5001 lifters. Bought them a little over a year ago. Was going over them and noticed one of them has some marks on its face (first photo) and another has a spec of rust on its face (second picture). All of them have some very light rust on the body like shown on the third picture.

I have never built an engine in my life and this is the first set of unused lifters I have seen up close. I am aware the rust is due to being stored for so long, so that’s on me. But regarding the lifter with marks on its face, is it useable or not? And the rust, will it scotchbrite off or should I get another set of lifters? I have no problem getting another set, but I wouldn’t want to throw these away if the can still be used.

A034B7A8-1B63-49B8-A071-9BA2D2793789.jpeg

A999C12B-06FD-4F2A-BC7A-737A757F4521.jpeg

ACFC2855-2826-4741-97BF-EB3F6AFE7EF1.jpeg

I don’t like the dents.

some cam grinders can regrind the lifters, and I would do that to yours.

Get new ones or resurfaced.
The dents / scratched parts are problem.

Send them out to Oregon Cams and they’ll resurface them

There is no benefit having lifters re-faced that are made of crap-anium. Find some 25yr or older lifters & have them re-faced for trouble free operation.

There is no benefit having lifters re-faced that are made of crap-anium. Find some 25yr or older lifters & have them re-faced for trouble free operation.
I cannot disagree with that statement. Have you got your toilet flushin the right way yet?

Thanks for the input guys. I won’t be using them.

Regarding re surfacing older lifters…… the set I pulled from the 400 all looked good, didn’t look like they failed or anything. I can post pictures later. My question is, would those be a candidate for re-surfacing? Is there something else to look for in a lifter to determine if it’s worth to resurface them?

Those are new lifters with a crown. Just take a stone [fine too medium] and take down any high spots of the ding marks by hand. Run em.

^^^^ Exactly right. The I'net is loaded with stories of new, recently made FT lifters failing. In many cases, with experienced engine builders who have not changed their procedure, but are now getting failures.
You haven't go be Einstein to work out what is happening....

It’s fine to say run them. Then what happens when they eat the cam? Then what? Kim

After the high spots are stoned down, there is only a few tiny grooves left that hold oil. The grooves might even be beneficial. I had some 1970's SB lifters and they were either flat or worn down a little in the middle from high mileage. They were still hard, as a new file would barely touch them.
It would be interesting for someone with a Rockwell hardness tester to do a comparison check.

-
Back