hydro boost on an a body

-

1qwikScamp

Reaction score
im really wanting to put hydroboost on my 72 auto cross duster has anyone done this or have any info on a kit

I have been wondering about this also, I know Rielly Motorsports sells a kit......or did last time I looked.....

Hi there. I'll be done with my hydroboost setup up in a week or two. I'll post a full how-to. I'm in the stages of pulling my exhaust because I want to replace the manifolds, so I'll do the hydroboost swap at the same time.

What I've done so far is to pull a hydroboost out of an '87 Chevy Astro from a junkyard, which cost me $29. I think its bad idea to use used junkyard parts on something as safety-critical as brakes, so I dropped it by the rebuilder and had them do the full rehash of the unit. That cost $200. It's worth it. Note that if you're out looking for a junkyard donor, be sure to get a booster with the nitrogen canister. When you have it rebuilt, they'll check it for leaks and re-pressurize if need be.

Next, I found an individual online who sells pretty aluminum adapter plates for the firewall. You're going to swtich over to a later Chrysler/Ford/GM/Raybestos two-bolt master cylinder, and this plate will bolt up to the four threaded posts on the firewall and give you two new posts for the master cylinder. I already have this conversion thanks to the vacuum booster I'm running now.

The only two parts I have left to do are (a) make (or have someone else make) the proper high and low pressure power steering lines with the right fittings. (b) Determine the correct length for the pushrod for the master cylinder. I want to use adjustable thread stock with fastening bolts so I can really adjust it perfectly.

I'll keep you posted.

I have already done a hydro boost swap using parts from a early 90's chev 3/4 ton diesel. Made my own lines using 2 new chev fuel line repair kits (flat with o-ring near end) the low pressure side uses power steering hose and a "T" . I drilled the steel mounting plate on the hydrobooster to fit our 4 bolt firewalls, and had a push rod made at a machine shop, believe it was 4 1/4? and used a dodge 2 bolt master cylinder (bolted right on)

RMS sells a bolt in kit with everything you need. Friend just put a set up in his challenger and loves it. I haven't driven it yet.

RMS sells a bolt in kit with everything you need. Friend just put a set up in his challenger and loves it. I haven't driven it yet.

its a bit different pedal feel and takes abit to get used to, almost as if its soft/ nothing there when the engine isn't running (still stops good), but theres lots of stoping power there when the engine is running

Hi there. I'll be done with my hydroboost setup up in a week or two. I'll post a full how-to. I'm in the stages of pulling my exhaust because I want to replace the manifolds, so I'll do the hydroboost swap at the same time.

What I've done so far is to pull a hydroboost out of an '87 Chevy Astro from a junkyard, which cost me $29. I think its bad idea to use used junkyard parts on something as safety-critical as brakes, so I dropped it by the rebuilder and had them do the full rehash of the unit. That cost $200. It's worth it. Note that if you're out looking for a junkyard donor, be sure to get a booster with the nitrogen canister. When you have it rebuilt, they'll check it for leaks and re-pressurize if need be.

Next, I found an individual online who sells pretty aluminum adapter plates for the firewall. You're going to swtich over to a later Chrysler/Ford/GM/Raybestos two-bolt master cylinder, and this plate will bolt up to the four threaded posts on the firewall and give you two new posts for the master cylinder. I already have this conversion thanks to the vacuum booster I'm running now.

The only two parts I have left to do are (a) make (or have someone else make) the proper high and low pressure power steering lines with the right fittings. (b) Determine the correct length for the pushrod for the master cylinder. I want to use adjustable thread stock with fastening bolts so I can really adjust it perfectly.

I'll keep you posted.

Who rebuilt your hydroboost?

I put one in my 66 valiant. Pieced mine together too. With the Tti headers I had to clock my hydroboost 90*. I made a bracket out of the metal plate that came with the hydroboost unit. I'll post pic when I get home. I haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to it.

Here's my thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=13213&highlight=hydroboost&page=28

Couple of pictures now that it's finished. www.tallonhydraulics.com has just about everything you need for the conversion. I highly recommend using the Aeroquip adapters. Expensive little bastards that are life savers and look nice. The hydraulic braided hose you can find for cheaper.

P1011052.jpg

P1011050.jpg

P1011051.jpg

How did I miss your thread. Did you get your Hydroboost new?

damn daves66valiant!! everything looks so nice and clean! from your engine to the engine bay, and the hydroboost! nice execution of everything! plug wires, hoses, brackets, wiring! we need to work together soon and work on my car to get it cherry like yours! since we both live in cali! :)

and yes, RMS also sells a hydroboost kit complete with everything for people who want a bolt in and go kit. Also, contact hydratechbraking.com that is where I got my complete kit for my 70 dart autocross car.

I've had one for almost 5 years. I do not see how you can live without it, when you have large 4 wheel disks. Develops the necessary 1600 lbs line pressure up front with ease. Try that with a vacuum booster...

-
Back