I could use your opinion

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a perfectly good running 170/6 in my 66 valiant now with 62k miles on it.
I have a new head being built little bigger valves and I think 6k being shaved with just a small amount of clean porting for a good driver and just a small cam, passably just a RV lift and duration.
My question is should I go ahead and build a new 225/ and set my original 170/ aside on an engine stand if one day I want to pore some $$ in it for a HP maker ????? We all know headers are not an option on the 170 yet and I think I would enjoy having a 225/ under her bonnet :-D Thats an old word for hood :toothy10:, Like turtle hull is for trunk lid 8)

Thank you for your input and wisdom on this, Victoria thinks she wants a long stroke 198 or 225 in her :clock:
My offy 4 barrel intake has been doing great, But I am thinking the two barrel might mix better being centered ?? with a 500 Holley.
I sure would like to get all the /6 guru's input if I can :happy10:
Thank you for your thoughts on this

Attachments

• CAIN Slant Six intake 003.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 260
  • CAIN Slant Six intake 002.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 257
  • CAIN Slant Six intake 011.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 253
  • DOMINOS%20023.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 255
  • kennies camera $##$ 055.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 260
I have over 4k miles of flawless driving time on this system now.

Attachments

• June third 2010 helping Creed Clean My Closet area OUT! 006.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 237
  • June third 2010 helping Creed Clean My Closet area OUT! 009.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 230
A better question might be, How many have spent on the top end of a engine only to have the bottom end come apart shortly thereafter ?
You might be surprised. Applies to any engine too, not just 6s.

Why no header? For any performance gain, you're kinda cuttin your throat there. Also....and this is just my unedjeekated slant 6 opinion here, I would think you'd be better off stickin with the four barrel, and twistin it around sideways like you've been talkin about. That way, one primary barrel's mixture doesn't have to "run over" the other on it's way through the intake manifold. In my mind, that seems like a lot of turbulance there. I may be way off base there, but seems like it would work better sideways. That Cain intake does not appear to allow a sideways mount carb. And yes, I say do the 225. But with a header. What are you afraid of with a larger more radical cam? You certainly have the induction choices for it. That little car is light enough, you won't really have to worry about overcammin it unless you just get slap wild. All that's my two cents....but it might not even be worth that. .....and upgrade to a dual port master cylinder. You're scarin me.

Let me help ya sway your decision. Stick the 170 back and come up here and get you a 225. It will be very reasonable as you already know.
Small Block

A better question might be, How many have spent on the top end of a engine only to have the bottom end come apart shortly thereafter ?
You might be surprised. Applies to any engine too, not just 6s.
I agree, I am looking to take the low deck = LG 170 / out and put a new head on a new 30 over 225 CI. I drive my 66 Sedan daily, and I could do the bigger 225 build as I drive.
On another note, The dirt track owner will build a new 355 and run it one season in a water truck then pull it and then add the cam, heads needed for the track, the block will be good and broke in and loose for higher rev's or they just build them 2k loose.
This car will never be sold and I am just thinking the 170/'s are harder to find these days and can be built to make a higher revving HP maker you can't get out of the 225. Well That is my understanding anyway :-D

Let me help ya sway your decision. Stick the 170 back and come up here and get you a 225. It will be very reasonable as you already know.
Small Block
You are on the same page as me Bill, your 64 model 225 will match my trans bushing, The newer models I would have to have the crank drilled for something they call a pilot bushing, and if I recall right that 225 you have has low millage on it and a good shifting standard trans like mine =P~
Your / you have was the one that was on my mind, But I was not sure yet if you was going to build it 8) My pm to you on it must have got lost in the thousands that you get. :-D

I say go for it,any performance upgrade is worth wile.You should add a header for sure better breathing,remember our engines are an air pump.

This car will never be sold and I am just thinking the 170/'s are harder to find these days and can be built to make a higher revving HP maker you can't get out of the 225. Well That is my understanding anyway :-D
Mike
Higher reving and faster reving yes. HP no. Cubic inches still prevail.
Frank

Why no header? For any performance gain, you're kinda cuttin your throat there. Also....and this is just my unedjeekated slant 6 opinion here, I would think you'd be better off stickin with the four barrel, and twistin it around sideways like you've been talkin about. That way, one primary barrel's mixture doesn't have to "run over" the other on it's way through the intake manifold. In my mind, that seems like a lot of turbulance there. I may be way off base there, but seems like it would work better sideways. That Cain intake does not appear to allow a sideways mount carb. And yes, I say do the 225. But with a header. What are you afraid of with a larger more radical cam? You certainly have the induction choices for it. That little car is light enough, you won't really have to worry about overcammin it unless you just get slap wild. All that's my two cents....but it might not even be worth that. .....and upgrade to a dual port master cylinder. You're scarin me.
:-D I agree on the dual port master cylinder, That will be dun, on the header's ? When I put the 225 in I can run headers =P~ They do Not make header's for the 170/ I have, the deck is an inch shorter and the headers hit water pump starter and more.
The duals I have on there now are a split factory manifold that helped allot but they will not do me any good on a small ported job on a 225/ head, But they do real well on the low deck 170.
The Holley 390 I am running matches up great with my little 170/ But I was thinking a 500cfm Holley with no secondaries would mix better, and be centered, I agree that I need to move my carb 90degrees and I could re jet and build it so it would be a 500cfm maybe.
I was thinking spring pressure on my valves is way I was thinking of staying with a mild RV cam, But like you say it would be nicer, and thank you for your thoughts on this. I am no tec by any means StrokerScamp, Just looking at the CAIN intake it just looked like it would give me an even distribution compared to the four BL Holley 8), But That's why I am here asking :happy10: Thank you :cheers:

Mike
Higher reving and faster reving yes. HP no. Cubic inches still prevail.
Frank
There you are :cheers: Thank you Frank.
We all know I want about 200hp and this 170/ can not pump that much air though my Manifolds and headers are a must and I need Cubic inch for that head to get me close to my numbers I want 8)
Any input on the intake flow that CAIN did for the 500 Holley?

I say go for it,any performance upgrade is worth wile.You should add a header for sure better breathing,remember our engines are an air pump.
Thank you Snake 8) Header is a must, no header for a 170 on the market..., and sounds like I need the extra ci of a 225 that I can buy headers for :happy10:

if it were me , i would install a 225 and just put the 170 in storage for a possible future project.
Thank you Justin, I would like to do a T-Bucket with it :happy10:

Attachments

• slant-6-chrysler-powered-t-bucket.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 236
You might be right on the Cain intake. I am not familiar with those. BUT, it's very similar in design to the Offenhauser, so I would assume similar in performance and function too.....but you know how assumin goes. lol As for valve springs...I imagine the 340 spring would do for most any cam you'd wanna run.....but you got Frank's help and as he said....the head will be RIGHT....so you've got that covered. As far as the 170 and higher rev thing and all.......for a street car, my personal choice has always been the bigger cubes, cause you need torque down low on the street and smaller cubes don't produce there. Anyway, I'm anxious to see what you do as I'm gonna build a slant as well.

Mike either way you know the head will be right. When ya coming down??
Your Friend,
Frank
Oop's :read2: I missed this post Frank, Not any time real soon 8)
Wish I could make a short visit trip some time soon and see you and the mrs :happy10:
But all of my children and wife's birthdays are all with in 15 days of each other and you know what that means :-D, and my new granddaughter needs me here and seems like if I have a day for myself I need to get things on the hill ready for winter and then there is the Ramcharger =P~ that as soon as Creed "new daddy" gets time he will put my fresh warmed up 360 engine in it so I can drive it :cheers: He is in great shape and I think we talked on the phone about it :happy10:

You already have 4k miles of good service and memories out of the 170, I say go ahead and change things up and put in the 225 since you have a good one lined up. It will be a fun project and I for one will enjoy watching it happen.

You might be right on the Cain intake. I am not familiar with those. BUT, it's very similar in design to the Offenhauser, so I would assume similar in performance and function too.....but you know how assumin goes. lol As for valve springs...I imagine the 340 spring would do for most any cam you'd wanna run.....but you got Frank's help and as he said....the head will be RIGHT....so you've got that covered. As far as the 170 and higher rev thing and all.......for a street car, my personal choice has always been the bigger cubes, cause you need torque down low on the street and smaller cubes don't produce there. Anyway, I'm anxious to see what you do as I'm gonna build a slant as well.
Thank you StrokerScamp :happy10: And you are right, I am blest to have Frank close by to keep me in line, seems he said something about 340 springs to me when he came by one day and seen where I liv for a visit :-D
And I agree, assuming things as I see them can be like walking in the dark :-D
That's why I am here picking our slant six members brains and see what they have experienced and receive there knowledge and direction.
All I am looking for is 175 to 200HP for my car, heck :-D the little 170 set up I have know feels ok and has run a 12.07 1/8 mile first time outhaving fun at George Rays Drag Strip, and I did not hit her hard. Not to bad for a 170 C.I. 44 year old A body :happy10:. We have allot of /6 guru's that visit here from slantsix.org and I am so glad they take the time to jump in here for us.
I go there now and then, but I am spoilt to using this site :-D

You already have 4k miles of good service and memories out of the 170, I say go ahead and change things up and put in the 225 since you have a good one lined up. It will be a fun project and I for one will enjoy watching it happen.
Thank you goldfish :happy10: I have enjoyed 10 k driving Victoria and 4k of them are with my upgrades :cheers: she has been REALgood to me, Yep I am looking at starting this soon, Creed said ne should be able to get my 360 in my Ramcharger soon then the 170 will go on an engine stand I have waiting for it and bag it up

Stroke that 225 and use a set of 198 rods
=P~=P~:-D You are talking about something down the road there Pete =P~, I would need frame conectore's "doing that this winter anyway" a good 81/4 to a 8 3/4 rear end complete new fuel system lines and all :-D
I have read that some where before STROKE THAT SLANT :-D:blob::wave:

I see the fun you had at George Rays has put a big smile on your face:-D and some thoughts in your mind.LOL(need for speed)I,d wrap up the 170 lowdeck and stuff it in the corner,after you get the 225 built and ready.JMO.Good luck with changing Victoria to the way you want her,sounds like it will keep you busy on the hill over winter.Keep us posted with your progress.:read2:

First off, very nice ride!!

I would stick with the 170 myself. It is original and less common...just personal preference for me.

I see the fun you had at George Rays has put a big smile on your face:-D and some thoughts in your mind.LOL(need for speed)I,d wrap up the 170 lowdeck and stuff it in the corner,after you get the 225 built and ready.JMO.Good luck with changing Victoria to the way you want her,sounds like it will keep you busy on the hill over winter.Keep us posted with your progress.:read2:
Thank you Scott 8)
I think the extra 55 cubic inches will really make allot of difference in this 2.700 lb early A Body 8), Your 66 is a wolf in sheepskin =P~ This 225/ will just take the high heals of of Victoria and put some running shoes on her :-D
And keeping her leaning engine in her is a must do, You would not believe the old folks that enjoyed seeing the bullet proof engine under the hood at car shows and event's, Every event I go to I am the only slant 6 there.
And you can count on updates :happy10:

First off, very nice ride!!

I would stick with the 170 myself. It is original and less common...just personal preference for me.
I have been saying that for over three years now Flashback :happy10: The 170/ is in great shape and get's me around in town and on the HWY's, she loves 80 mph know that I took the little bitty factory exhaust off of her and added the waggin split manifolds and removed the 13'' wheels and went to 14''.
I like this little 170 LG /6, and I would like to keep it in good shape.

Here is the day I headed to the muffler shop after I completed the 4 bl and duals :-D You cant hear here run now, dual 2'' to the trans tail shaft and then back to single 2 1/4 to a factory 318 muffler and hums down the road , Thank you for your thoughts, I would like to have a solid 9.50 1/8 mile driver and I think the 225 can get me there

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JInsZEHyig"]YouTube - 41120010HolleyNEW!! 003.avi[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-CQmR999Uo&feature=related"]YouTube - Memike2010 fun 022.avi[/ame]

Mike, I run the long K1 rods in my 225, and I like it....of course I have a bit of compression.
My friend wayne runs a 170, and that thing hits the RPM's hard.....I thnk that it hit over 6500 before.
My suggestion would be to run a 225.....and maybe add a 500 2bbl to the clifford intake. If you need a 500 2 bbl, let me know....
Your build sounds like your planning really well.....here is a replay of the singin' 6 in my car.LOL
http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv309/TerryLScott/?action=view&current=AndrewatSac.mp4
Andrew/Kidd

-
Back