I figured I'd buy from a FABO sponsor, so I called...

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wildcat auto wrecking to check price and availability for front and rear bumpers for a 65 Dart I am working on.
$300 EACH ????
Whuuuuut ??
I have bumpers, I just want nicer ones. What does it cost to have bumpers rechromed? If it is around $300 each to rechrome, why would anyone pay that much for 52 year old parts???
Maybe I am spoiled by the self serve yards. The Pick-N-Pull yards are about $50 plus a core.

Well maybe this will help ease your pain......Ive gotten several quotes to re plate (triple dip) my Duster bumpers up in B.C. and they have all been $1200 or more EACH, and thats without allowing for hidden damage. Arrgghh.

I called around here in socal can was quoted $425 per bumper for my 67, so I went with a powder coat extreme chrome, looks really good, its with a clear coat but i saw them before they put it on and it was mirror like chrome, but it looked like polished aluminum too. Cost like $125 for both plus had the front part of the wing window frame.

20170606_184108.jpg

Wildcat auto wrecking to check price and availability for front and rear bumpers for a 65 Dart I am working on.
$300 EACH ????
Whuuuuut ??
I have bumpers, I just want nicer ones. What does it cost to have bumpers rechromed? If it is around $300 each to rechrome, why would anyone pay that much for 52 year old parts???
Maybe I am spoiled by the self serve yards. The Pick-N-Pull yards are about $50 plus a core.

Apparently you do have bumper worthy of rechrome. When a car is wrecked, parts damaged beyond repair, a owner or an insurance company pays the part yard for replacement parts. That and rarity is how their prices are generated. We're lucky that there are those like Wildcat who haven't crushed/recycled those parts we may need someday.

I had a rear bumper on one of my cars straightened and replated to driver quality that was $600. I also had the 3 piece bumper of my 53 Buick done and it was just under $2600.

One thing I do is call around to the local chrome shops. You would be amazed how many people drop off bumpers to be done and never come back and pay for them. So the shop just sits on them. I got a rechromed front bumper for my wife's Fairlane that way for $300.

Thanks
James

Had my duster bumpers done at tri city for around 320 a piece and the quality was fantastic.Sent them in had them back in 2 weeks guaranteed for as long as you own the car

Sioux City Plating in Nebraska did the bumpers on my dart, was just over $500 for the pair. They even have a guy that picks up the parts in our area and delivers them when done, that was about 10 years ago now.

Give Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix a try. They have quite a few early A body cars.

I've bought from Wildcat before and I'll admit it was a rich bill. It was a while ago when there were fewer parts being reproduced for A bodies. However, the chances are really good they will have the part(s) you are looking for right now instead of having to wait for it to show up on e-bay, here or posting a wanted ad. There is a premium for that and it depends on if you think that price justifies being able to have it now vs waiting. Since I'm located in the PNW, it was an excuse to venture down to Oregon so I didn't also get murdered on shipping costs.

I remember we used to put them on the Greyhound bus to a plating shop in Atlanta to have them rechromed.

For 200 dollars round trip including the bus ride. But that was 1981.

Local shop was doing some work on a 64 Impala. To get both bumpers done was a bit over $3300 from a local (eastern Washington) shop.

Give Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix a try. They have quite a few early A body cars.
Yup. Haven't dealt with them in a long time but prices used to very fair. They had a heater box for my our 64 Fairlane. Cost me $15.

Chrome plating is a 3 step process if I remember correctly. There was a member on here that had some stuff done, think they were exterior door handles. Were yellowing in less than 2 years. Think the state he lived in was only legally allowed to do a 2 step process....if I remember right

Ya gotta remember;

The pick n pull yard makes it money on volume. They're paying scrap price for a whole car (often less), and when that car goes in the masher, ka-ching.
Need that Neon fender? If they sell it they're out scrap weight and that's it. If not, another will be along shortly. If they sell the parts, that is a spiff, most of these yards are actually owned by steel companies.

Wildcat had to pay what is effectively rent on whatever car you're buying parts off of. Every year, they have more cost built into every car that they had from last year. They can't scrap it because then they don't have it anymore, and the parts are worth more than the scrap, IF they can line up a buyer.

There is a vendor that goes to all the swap meets on the west coast.

They quoted me $250 that was to straighten mine and triple plate. They even offered to meet me on I-5 when they were on their way to a meet. Given,ot was about 3 years ago. Give em a call. The Bumper Depot

I just looked at their bumpers they have for sale on ebay. The average cost of their bumpers was $1000. I have a call into them asking for a quote for my 68 Dart GT bumpers to be redone, I can't wait to hear the price when they call me back.

dont know, but sounds like i need to start chroming bumpers

dont know, but sounds like i need to start chroming bumpers
In Cali, chromer's are just about as extinct as the dinosaurs. Just lost our local one, sold out to a big corporation, no longer doing piece work, they just wanted the company's good name and permit to do chroming.

Another reason why I went to powder coating, plus the place is right around the way from my house

Try-City is doing my neighbors bumpers for his 64 GTO at $550 a piece! Now mind you, they are large bumpers, and not being reproduced!

67 Dart bumpers cost me 300 each and had dents 67 Chevelle bumpers 300 each 57 pontiac bumpers 650 each also had dents 36 REO grille 3000 and the plater is 80 miles from me

I paid 350.00 for front and rear bumpers, triple plated, came out perfect on my 66 Dart. NOW I need to put them back on:BangHead::lol:Each

-
Back