I found a nice Slant 6 article I would like to share.

-
If I am currently running a Pertronix conversion kit, should I perform the ballast resistor 10 gauge override, as mentioned in this article?

If it's a pertronix 1, you need the 3 ohm coil to bypass the ballast.

petronix 2 & 3 sense current, so you can bypass with any coil.

I just took my GT out for a ride, and it ran perfect. My guests loved the ride.

Standard deal from us slant sixers, harping on a magazine article about a slant...at least they are playing around with one and not just, "Yank that POS out for a real motor," we normally see. And car magazines have ALWAYS been commercials...ALWAYS.

That being said:

I would be interested in seeing the same comparison using the tried and true HEI conversion that is popular among those of us that are more...uh...frugal. Willing to hazard a guess that it would be the same improvement using a Ford coil and a 4 pin module from the JY on a curved distributor.

As an aside, I just did this same deal using JY parts. Coil/bracket from Ford truck $8, module mount $2, coil connector $3, distributor $25 (!) and down the road I go. I had a module, wire and connectors around the house so saved some $. I would buy a good (AC delco module) or find one from the JY if I did not have one. So, yes I am the cheapskate I speak of.

Typical HotRod written article, plenty of things there to question and argue.... Want real slant info, plenty on FABO and slantsix.org for sure. I think us slant people always like someone taking the time to write an article, even if the purpose is to always sell parts for their advertisers.

Typical HotRod written article, plenty of things there to question and argue.... Want real slant info, plenty on FABO and slantsix.org for sure. I think us slant people always like someone taking the time to write an article, even if the purpose is to always sell parts for their advertisers.

The articles purpose, to sell parts, went over my head. I am happy that it was pointed out.

I always enjoy reading and learning, but, especially with anything, I do not take it all at gospel with an article or anyone's advice. Mag build articles tend to use "free" parts donated for their build, and the results of those shiny new parts tend to be favorable. We all probably agree there are in systems that put out more power than OEM stock, but for a stock slant, a good set of poinst/condensor probably does all that is needed. 2 1/2 in exh. on stock engine/ 1bbl if I read correctly? that is what comes on the super six 2 bbl and no doubt plenty for any hop up?. Guess it is good thy did not tell use to do 3 in.???
Anyway, we slant lovers always appreciate some press!

I posted a link to that article back on May 26th...but that's ok. You can't go wrong listening to the guys here and on slantsix.org

I do not take it all at gospel with an article or anyone's advice. Mag build articles tend to use "free" parts donated for their build, and the results of those shiny new parts tend to be favorable. /QUOTE]

I appreciate Ehrenberg and the info he passes on but about many years ago at the Mopar Nats I had a conversation with the original owner of AAR fiberglass. I always had been impressed with the quality of the parts they brought to the Nats but what do I know? I didn't own any. Anyway, I mentioned that Ehrenberg was all of a sudden trashing the AAR stuff in the magazine. That's when the owner said Eberg requested replacements for the stuff they broke on the Green Brick after they crashed during the One Lap. FOR FREE! When they said no, all of a sudden their quality was no good. He has an eBay store and none of it is free.

No slant exhaust manifold has a 2 1/4 outlet. You can use an 2 1/4 flange with a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 adapter pipe to build your own 2 1/2 exhaust pipe.

Replacing a worn out 48 year old distributor, with a new one may produce the same results. The Davis DUI distributor has a built in 4 pin HEI, so the HEI upgrade should produce similar results.

My opinion on any build article is this. If you are going to write it, and publish it. Be acurate, and truthfull. A lot of people that read these articles, are reading them to learn something. So why lead them down the primrose path.

I saw that same ignition system w/ wires today on local craigslist for ~$300, but for a 440 engine. Seller said he paid ~$1000. Seems silly since you can grab a later 8-pin HEI module & coil from any 85-95 GM truck in the junkyard for easier & better wiring, and get a better spark. TrailBeast here kits those for ~$200 for those who don't do junkyards.

But that is not the point of the articule. The point is that there is a Davis DUI distributor and that TTI makes a 2 1/2" exhaust system for the \6. Both of which will give you mo'power. So go out and buy them NOW.

For those that have never visited all the info articles at slantsix.org please do so. HotRod, dba ChevyRod, their expertise!??? ha

Steve Dulcich wrote some good articles for Hot Rod, I know for a fact he loves the Slant Six but you don't see his name attached to articles any more.

-
Back