I guess i'm not going racing.....

-

33IMP

Reaction score
...on these tires anymore. Found this, this morning.

20210605_095113.jpg

20210605_095122.jpg

20210605_095130.jpg

LOL
Back in the day I knew a few guys who would not even do a walk around their car before starting out for the track.

That falls in to the category of glad I found it before going fast.

They were speed rated at 12.00....you broke them out of their bracket. :p

Whats DOT date on those? Looks like rot?

Looks like classic dry rot! There's loads of tread on the tire. How old are the tires? you may want to check the rest.
The slicks on the back dont have a date. The date on the fronts is on the inside, i think, so i dont have that yet..... but I'm too ashamed to admit how old they are, anyway.

Last edited:
I got some Michelin XZX skinnies in the garage for my 4.5 Centerlines, probably expired but they are still soft with no cracking. Probably just rollers now.
Picture-XZX_carousel.png

Good thing that didn’t happen last month. Those VW tires are not really suited for drag racing, the weight, the weelies, the heavy braking.

Best to get some real drag tires for the front. You could loose your car, and take the guy in the other lane with you.

Tires deteriorate even if the look good and no cracks.

Many years ago I had a "new" 16" trailer radial that I stored inside for 6-7 years before I actually had to use it as a spare. It looked fine. I installed on the trailer for the first time and within 1,000 miles, the tread peeled off like a banana. Luckily it still held air and I was able to drive a few miles on a narrow road, on the steel belts, before I found a place to pull over and change it.

I donnoo why yu'd let a little thing like that stop ya.............

I will never understand the need to have skinny front tires.

I get the air resistance, road resistance part but I would like to have a bit more control personally

Really glad that did not happen at speed and you are safe

I get the air resistance, road resistance part but I would like to have a bit more control personally

Yeah skinny to me now is 5 1/2'' wide = street.

Yeah skinny to me now is 5 1/2'' wide = street.
Ive got brand new 235/75x15s ready to go, on seven inch tt2. I just wanted to get a few more laps out of these, to find out if i wanted to run the taller (much!) fronts.
The reason for the pizza cutters (other than on the other car, where nothing else will fit) is the light weight, on a 90% strip car. No power steering, power brakes, discs, front sway bar, OR handling. A man has to know his limitations.
The seven inch tts with the tall tires are at least 20lbs each heavier than the centerlines, and the lines are at least 30lbs ea lighter than my street steelies.
From street steelies and exhaust, to centerlines, slicks, and open, i can lose 150lbs. (Or more).
And, i did have tiny short goodyear front runner race fronts on my other car.

Had a 3 1/2" Goodyear pizza cutter on the front of my PARKED in the garage 69' Cuda do that exact same chit this past winter.

That was the first time I'd ever seen a tire separate like that, now your number two.

I think I'm your #2,3,4,and 5. This is my fifth to do this. One pizza cutter rim on my opel inside the garage in cali, one rear dually wheel in the garage in arizona (105° inside) and two on my theft recovery camaro in the carport in arizona (120+°). Old tires are becoming annoying.
(The opel's tire wasnt even on the ground at the time. Car was sitting on four jackstands.)

Last edited:
I think I'm your #2,3,4,and 5. This is my fifth to do this. One pizza cutter rim on my opel inside the garage in cali, one rear dually wheel in the garage in arizona (105° inside) and two on my theft recovery camaro in the carport in arizona (120+°). Old tires are becoming annoying.

Yikes,
Hell, I just sold an old Landcruiser that had 35 year old TA's on it that still held air and while awaiting my new wheels before I get new rear tires I've still got maybe 40 year old Pro-Trac 15 x 33's on the back still holding air. Go-Figure!

-
Back