I guess the 5.7 Hemi wins

-

ragcuda

69 RagCuda
Reaction score
As I embark on the restoration of my 69 Cuda Conv. I would like to share my thoughts on my vision for the car. Feel free to opine. Here are the factors I am looking at.

1. I want to be able to drive the car to work on occasion which incudes some Interstate driving in heavy traffic.
2. I have a 15 year old son who, despite two generations of Mopar men, is in to Chevy's?? and I need to convert him fast.
3. Said 15 year old son will be driving soon and will undoubtedly want to drive the Cuda as often as he can wrestle the keys away from me.
4. I want the car to drive as safely and modern as I can make it.
5. I want the car to retain it's original look and appeal, besides the slant 6, color (light green) and the spoked hubcaps it came with.
6. If I'm going to sink a lot of cash into this project, it may as well be worth something when I'm done.

So I'm thinking about one of these AlterKation kits I have heard about to update the suspension and brakes and a 5.7 hemi. Even if it is a new Hemi, to say I own a 69 Hemi Cuda Convertible will be an awesome thing.

Sounds like a great plan. I'm also planning the same with the AlterKtion suspension. I already have the Street Linx rear set-up.

I have myself a 5.7 Hemi as well already. I bought a truck motor that I'm swapping over to a car motor. Changing the intake, front cover and accessories. Car motor just looks better. :)

Keep us posted on your progress.

Riddler

Sound just like my plan. the AlterK is a great way to go, they fit great and add a modern suspension under the old body. The 5.7 fits just fine with the AlterK, however in my case (early A) no power steering or brakes. Have fun and ask any questions you may have.

I like the sound of this :)
One of our local guys has a 69 fastback done the same way. It is really a well done project. I will try to get him to come to this thread.
IMG_2479.jpg

You asked for opinions…..

The hemi and suspension mods won't make the car that much safer. A huge part of safety comes from a responsible driver. The mods will make it a better driver.

I wouldn't bother with the expense of an AlterKation kit unless you are also upgrading your wheels and tires to something like 16s-18s.

I would never put such a car in the hands of a child.

You could go with a standard small block, and standard suspension (with the common mods). With the money you save buy your kid a dart or duster with a /6.

What about a 408 stroker? That will convert him FAST. I would rather do it old school. I don't like the new hemi.How much do they weigh?

With awesome car come awesome responsibilty. and alot of the time, a not-so-awesome wreck. Try and get him a duster or dart with a slant or a 318.

Im the one with the Fast back. I am running the Alterkation and the streetlinks with the adjustable QA1's , 6 piston wilwoods up front and 4's in the back on a narrowed 9inch w/3.91 ,and 17 in wheels all around, modern 426(stroked 6.1) Hemi and a Keisler tko600...the ride is unbelievable smooth and much more positive handling and control of the car, I am running the March serpentine set up with powered rack and pinion, so steering is like a new car, you will have to relocate the steering column over to the right in the passenger compartment to clear the valve cover and there's no room to run power brakes or even a hydraboost but with the 4 wheel disks it still stops better than it will with factory gear, previously ran 73 dart disk brakes and 11x3' in the back and never stoped as good as it does now , if you have ant questions feel free to ask, I can let you know all thats involved with the swap.

Plumcrazy69

You asked for opinions…..

The hemi and suspension mods won't make the car that much safer. A huge part of safety comes from a responsible driver. The mods will make it a better driver.

I wouldn't bother with the expense of an AlterKation kit unless you are also upgrading your wheels and tires to something like 16s-18s.

I would never put such a car in the hands of a child.

You could go with a standard small block, and standard suspension (with the common mods). With the money you save buy your kid a dart or duster with a /6.

and what is wrong with a slant 6? :-D if you want it to be worth the money you put into it, get a B or E body.

Im the one with the Fast back. I am running the Alterkation and the streetlinks with the adjustable QA1's , 6 piston wilwoods up front and 4's in the back on a narrowed 9inch w/3.91 ,and 17 in wheels all around, modern 426(stroked 6.1) Hemi and a Keisler tko600...the ride is unbelievable smooth and much more positive handling and control of the car, I am running the March serpentine set up with powered rack and pinion, so steering is like a new car, you will have to relocate the steering column over to the right in the passenger compartment to clear the valve cover and there's no room to run power brakes or even a hydraboost but with the 4 wheel disks it still stops better than it will with factory gear, previously ran 73 dart disk brakes and 11x3' in the back and never stoped as good as it does now , if you have ant questions feel free to ask, I can let you know all thats involved with the swap.

Plumcrazy69

Yep that is one sweet ride! I love the sound of it!

Good to see you here Chris.

You say you want to retain the stock look how are you accomplishing that putting a newer hemi in it??..if it were me i'd put a 340 or 360 in it...

Have you considered what you're loosing ? Once all of those caracteristics that make up the feel of driving a classic car are gone, you may regret it.

You say you want to retain the stock look how are you accomplishing that putting a newer hemi in it??..if it were me i'd put a 340 or 360 in it...

From the outside, mine will look very early 70's until you see the seats or pop the hood. I get what he is saying. :)

BTW, with a Diablo tuner, you can put in a teen friendly tune by limiting MPH & RPM :) then switch to a power tune when yuo are driving :)

Have a good time with it.

To answer the question about the door handles I used are from a Dodge Intrepid, ......What you really need to ask yourself is what are you wanting to build. sit down and write down all the characteristics you are wanting....looks, stance, handling,performance, and then what do you want to be able to do with the car,If you are only driving the car on the weekends or to a show every now and then, you might not want to spend the time and money. But if you want to drive every day or drive across the country, then It might be worth it... I will tell you having a New HEMI in an old car you will draw a crowd when you pop the hood....good luck to you and your build....I have all the old suspension that I removed from my car, if any one is interested in buying...makes a big difference over a stock setup.

Plumcrazy69

Beautiful car, the stance is awesom........

I think this is what he means...... this looks stock...but, um, its not... 8)

100_2641.jpg

100_2635.jpg

Plumcrazy69 ,

Where did you find the running lights..they look like they were on the since new.
What a sweet ride !
Ian.

Thank you ....the light s are Eagle Eye off road light that I found at one the 4x4 shops, wanted the 70 style look, but didnt want to spend the big bucks for repops.

Thanks to all for the complements.

-
Back