I have a 1967 coupe barracuda with a low serial number and shipped march 1966.

-

16richard

Reaction score
How did they start serial numbers for coupes fastbacks and convertibles . I may have a been a car built for Richard Petty but abandoned .

You may have your dates off, the 67 Barracuda would have been 11/66-6/67
Your build date 1-9 Jan-Sep A-C Oct-Dec

Serial numbers were mixed and shared with the Valiants

Alan

(should read ) It may have been built for Richard Petty . When I got it, it came with a roll bar and partial cage , few options ,3 in the tree auto including a deleated spare tire on the fender tag, Richard petty blue with racing stripes and a story that claimed it was acquired by a long haul trucker and it left in a carport for 30 years after he walked out on his wife . I will post photos soon. The serial number question may be the answer to who drove it .

If you have fast backs , coupes and convertibles starting a new model how would the serial numbers start . I may be wrong but 01001
could be for the first convertible 02001 for the first coupe and 03001 for the first fastback ???

I am using a public library computer and an old flip phone with no connection . I will post a photos tomorrow

If you have fast backs , coupes and convertibles starting a new model how would the serial numbers start . I may be wrong but 01001
could be for the first convertible 02001 for the first coupe and 03001 for the first fastback ???

No.

It did not work that way.

Photos of what you actually have may help here?

Not an actual run but to illustrate that the distribution of serial numbers was the next car down the line, the first 5 digits defined the car line (BH29D), even then I'm sure the actual production order may have varied.

100001 Valiant 2-dr
100002 Valiant 4-dr
100003 Valiant 4-dr
100004 Valiant 4-dr
100005 Valiant 4-dr
100006 Barracuda Fastback
100007 Valiant 4-dr
100008 Valiant 2-dr
100009 Barracuda Fastback
100010 Barracuda Coupe
100011 Barracuda Fastback
100012 Barracuda Convertible

Alan

Ever notice that the guys with the really interesting cars usually have flip phones with no internet and use the library computers.
If I had a really interesting car I would have tons of info and pics ready because I would want to know asap what I have. But then again I don't have a flip phone(it broke after 10 years) and my library is full of noisy school kids.

Each plant had the same sequence of VINs. They ALL started the model year with 100001, but since the assembly plant was also in the VIN there could not have been any complete duplicates. Usually the first few were pre-production, press cars, etc. Production started around Aug 1. Certain cars were only produced at one plant while others could have come from a few places. ALL '67-69 A-body convertibles were built at Dodge Main, AKA Hamtramk.

Also, the cars did not necessarily come off the line in numerical order as the VINs were produced before the car started down the line.

Did they build a Barracuda coupe in 66? The OP is the unsure and unable to confirm any part of this(Richard Petty) 67 A-body blue car. Just sayin -----without photos it can't be ---------

:popcorn: The last great find of this decade!

Tough crowd! I’m giving him the chance to show what he has. He admittedly isn’t sure about it or how to tell what it is.

Pictures could prove to be interesting.

Did they build a Barracuda coupe in 66? The OP is the unsure and unable to confirm any part of this(Richard Petty) 67 A-body blue car. Just sayin -----without photos it can't be ---------
Oh very well could be. Back then the design teams were a few years ahead of production. They had to be. It could be a prototype or a pilot car. This is pretty early in the conversation and we haven't seen a vin tag or a fender tag yet.

-
Back