I have a free AX-15 5spd transmission- useful?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
So I'm looking at parting out my 1996 XJ. It's in fairly good shape but the little problems are starting to add up.

One thought that crossed my mind was that the AX-15 manual transmission (which still shifts beautifully after 200k miles) might be something worth holding on to and rebuilding. Word on the street is that the AX-15 is rated for 400 lb/ft but they may be even tougher than that.

Does anyone know if this could be bolted up to a Magnum or LA motor?
How much or a project would I be getting myself into?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Unless you have a .7 rear gear LMAO, that 3.83 first ought to be "useful"

So I'm looking at parting out my 1996 XJ. It's in fairly good shape but the little problems are starting to add up.

One thought that crossed my mind was that the AX-15 manual transmission (which still shifts beautifully after 200k miles) might be something worth holding on to and rebuilding. Word on the street is that the AX-15 is rated for 400 lb/ft but they may be even tougher than that.

Does anyone know if this could be bolted up to a Magnum or LA motor?
How much or a project would I be getting myself into?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Could always install the 4.0L and tranny in a A-Body. You got the complete parts rig for it. I am doing such a build in a 69 Ply Barracuda.

I'm in the middle of the swap myself. My AX came out of a 98 Dakota with a 3.9 and bolted right up to the 5.9 magnum. @ralphie361 is also running one behind a 5.7 HEMI. He blew one up but as he'll confirm, he beats on the thing!! Lol

Also, a 2.76 rear gear is perfect for that transmission all around. I've got 3.23s in my Duster now but have a pig with 2.76s that I may swap in sometime.

As you can see I compared an AX-15 with 2.76s, 255/60/14 (26" tires) to a low first gear 904 with 4.10s and the same size tire and the take off is almost identical plus you have 2 extra gears on the top end and 56 mph in 4th at 2k rpm and 71 mph in 5th at 2k rpm. What's not to like? :D

image.jpg

You are putting it in a pickup?

Not to hi jack this thread, but to answer your question. I am installing the 4.0L and BA5 5sp manual tranny (2wd) in a 69 Barracuda fastback (A-Body). And I plan on using the 94 Jeep YJ (wrangler) engine managment due to its simplicity. I have a thread here in the slant six group of my attempt.

Good luck with that BA5, Peugeot is not known for making anything good and the BA5 is probably the worst thing they ever made, right next to cars with 3 lugs per wheel. The best thing to do with a BA5 is keep it behind the seat of your Jeep so when the E brake doesnt work, you can use the BA5 to put behind the tire and keep it rolling away. The fact they are about the size of a Stanley thermos makes them handy to keep behind the seat. I would start with an NV3500 and then AX-15, third choice would be to just shoot yourself in the foot because it will be less painful that dealing with a BA5.
The AX-15 will hold up behind a V8 in mild applications of 300 HP and lower, the NV will handle closer to 400 HP. The NV had better ratios and if you can find the close ratio version its even better.
OP, The AX-15 will work fine as long as you arent running big tires and lots of torque, Its the 1-2 shift at heavy throttle that kills them, you end up putting 2nd gear out the side of the case.

Last edited:
-
Back