I have the opportunity to buy a 65 impala station wagon

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
396, 3 speed auto, white, 2 rust spots that I can fix, GOOD paint, even better interior , sorry no pics, I think it needs shocks,tires, brakes, maybe carb work , and rear springs the second owner has had it for a few months from the previous first owner whom passed away recently. $3500.
I was thinking about a minor fix up, cruise and resale.
Do you think I could get over $4000 after I put the work in it?

Correction, it has the 6 round taillights
I think1965, so maybe I should check if the engine really is a 396. The condition is phenomenal, the price is great- what would you guys look for?

Buying for $3500, worried about of getting something over $4000 ?? .....after all the parts (maybe $400/$500) and your labor, don't think there's much meat on the bone my man. You make your money when you buy a car, so knock your offer down from the $3500.

The best time to sell any car is before dumping any time & money into it.

Just like the seller is apparently trying to do......

As a general rule, buy it if you want to keep it.

Factory 396 is pretty cool.

...but I'm kind of a wagon guy.

Last edited:
That is a great price for that wagon, you should be able to sell it for $4k or better without doing anything to it, but running and driving it should bring a lot more than that to someone looking for a nice wagon to build.

D968974A-E39D-4503-83C5-0E7C858E9E0F.jpeg
Really just look for major rot or water I the oil. This is a friends 60 wagon he pulled out of Texas several years ago. Only thing he did to it was pull the carpet out ( was full of chicken crap) hose it out and left the carpet out of it. Satin cleared the original paint bagged it and wheels. Normal maintenance stuff to get it running. He has turned down 15 k for it.

Sounds like a cool wagon Greymouser! I don't follow them so can't offer much in way of pricing. But other than a sweet 55 Belaire w 283 and dual quads, my Dad drove nothing but Big Block Chevy wagons about 1960 until the 80's, when he moved into BB Suburbans. I remember him surprising more thank a few "youngins" in their hot rods at stop lights when I was a kid. Those old wagons would hook! I often think of building one some day, but think the Boss would kill me if I drag one home before we get the kids through school! Good luck with the purchase!

Pat

If I remember correctly, early 65’s could still have a 409, while the later could have a 396. Both pretty rare, I believe.

Sounds like a cool wagon Greymouser! I don't follow them so can't offer much in way of pricing. But other than a sweet 55 Belaire w 283 and dual quads, my Dad drove nothing but Big Block Chevy wagons about 1960 until the 80's, when he moved into BB Suburbans. I remember him surprising more thank a few "youngins" in their hot rods at stop lights when I was a kid. Those old wagons would hook! I often think of building one some day, but think the Boss would kill me if I drag one home before we get the kids through school! Good luck with the purchase!

Pat
There was a 1957 Chevy Hearse for sale in San Antonio Facebook market place this morning

There are stick shift volare and aspen wagons.

My grandfather had an Impala wagon he and my Grandmother pulled an Airstream around the country with in the 60s-70s. Power to spare for the big hills.

Parker Stevenson?

...from the Hardy Boys show in the 80's?

-
Back