I just did about the biggest bone head thing in my life!

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Over the many years I've played with cars, today I think was the biggest screw up ever! I decided to install the Turbo Action Cheetah shifter in the 68 Barracuda today. So I locate where I want to mount it on the floor and where the cable needs to exit the floor. I used a 7/8" hole saw and drill a hole in the floor, and drill the 1/4" pilot hole right through my brand new CRT 727 transmission case!!!! All the way through!

That's one of my biggest fears. Is just getting to "into" the project or "ahead" of myself. And drill or hammer something without checking behind it!

Well after I got over the initial shock of what a dumb *** thing I did, I evaluated the situation. Lucky I drilled right over the rear drum so yeah I used a 1/4" Pipe tape and drilled the hole out to 21/64, tapped the hole and put a 1/4"brass pipe plug in it. I used grease on the drill bit and tap to capture the shavings. Since the trans is still empty, I'll drop the pan tomorrow and see if I can get some of the original shavings out.

Damn Roy, that sucks. Glad you got it under control though.
C

I've always said." Life is tough, but it's a whole lot tougher when your dumb" And time and time again my ignorance comes shining thru!

I think I would have simply made a plug of epoxy and pretended it hadn't happened.
Tell John, I'm sure he'll forgive you.

Well another story for sittin around in the shop. lol

I know after the hole saw went through the floor board and I removed the hole saw I looked down at the hole in the transmission case and your mind does funny things. "No that ain't a hole in the trans case I'm seeing ****" AHHHHHHHHHHHHH hell it is!

I almost did the same exact thing . Installing and cheetah . Using a step bit the first little tip just polished a nice dimple in my fresh 727 . I wasn't to thrilled about it . I feel your pain . Glad you were able to fix !

the "next" guy will try to understand the purpose of the "plug" on top of the tranny..... he'll start a thread to ask what's its purpose :)

Well if your still around you can shed some light on what happened. The conversation will start with something like "Your not gonna believe what this idiot did"

John is the man at CRT who built your trans.
I knew that now that you mentioned it. When I saw you wrote John, my best friend in my life was John and he past away in 2006. So I'm thinking, do you mean my buddy? How does he know John. Sorry I got it now.

I installed that same shifter in my duster today and almost did that. i have a couple scars on top of the trans now.

Clutchflite transmissions often have the stock vent plugged and a new vent drilled right over the rear drum.....

Well if your still around you can shed some light on what happened. The conversation will start with something like "Your not gonna believe what this idiot did"

No.... He will begin by saying, "For Sale, very rare Mopar, the only one from the factory with a plug like that in the tranny case. Bidding starts at $150k."

-
Back