I lost my spring. Please send photos!

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi All: I've lost the spring that is on the stem of the counterweight shaft for my 1974 Duster's slant six exhaust manifold. I've attached a photo of the location where the spring was before I lost it. Does anyone know why this spring is there? What does it do? If you have the original one on your car, could you please post a photo? I could then get a replacement at the hardware store. As you can see, one end of the spring attaches to the end of the shaft, and the other end attaches to a fixed post on the exhaust manifold. Many thanks!

IMG_3329.jpg

Anti rattle.

This kit might not be identical to the 74 parts but the spring is close enough.

Screenshot_20220928-154605.png

Last edited:
No, I don't actually have a slant. Just guessing at it. I can't remember the last time I even messed with one, but it would have been a V-8. Back in the early '80s IIRC.

Should be rebuild instruction in the FSM, no?

Here ya go.

20220928_193144.jpg

And here it is, removed. Measures 1-1/8" long and just shy of 3/8" in diameter. It is moderately strong, it will only pull out to a little over 1-1/2" long.

20220928_193501.jpg

Hi All: I've lost the spring that is on the stem of the counterweight shaft for my 1974 Duster's slant six exhaust manifold. I've attached a photo of the location where the spring was before I lost it. Does anyone know why this spring is there? What does it do? If you have the original one on your car, could you please post a photo? I could then get a replacement at the hardware store. As you can see, one end of the spring attaches to the end of the shaft, and the other end attaches to a fixed post on the exhaust manifold. Many thanks!

View attachment 1715991537
I have several slant 6 exhaust manifolds. I'll look tomorrow and see if I have one. I'll send you one if I do.

-
Back