I Might Have Found Something Pretty Cool.....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Check this out. This is a FACTORY closed chamber slant head. It has NOT been milled. Look at how the chambers are twisted. This bad boy was made like that. I knew there was the Argentine head Doug Dutra had that was closed chamber, but this is the first one of these I've ever seen. I wonder if the ports are any different? Check it out.

SLANT HEAD1.jpg

@slantsixdan Dan, what say? Have you seen this type of closed chamber head? All I've seen is the Argentine head Doug has or had. It was somewhat different.

Check this out. This is a FACTORY closed chamber slant head. It has NOT been milled. Look at how the chambers are twisted. This bad boy was made like that. I knew there was the Argentine head Doug Dutra had that was closed chamber, but this is the first one of these I've ever seen. I wonder if the ports are any different? Check it out.

View attachment 1715686995
Looks like Ford Blue.

Rob by chance you have a spare water nipple like on that head?

What is this casting #? It is obviously a "peanut plug" era head, how did You determine it has not been milled?

Look at it. There's no way in hell it's been milled. Milling would leave the chambers straight, but closed. Look CLOSELY at each trio of chambers. The first three are angled one way and the second three are angled the other. That would be impossible with milling. The head had to be cast that way.

Look at it. There's no way in hell it's been milled. Milling would leave the chambers straight, but closed. Look CLOSELY at each trio of chambers. The first three are angled one way and the second three are angled the other. That would be impossible with milling. The head had to be cast that way.
OK, guess l misunderstood, You meant it wasn't mowed down until that shape developed. "447" is the std casting# for peanut plug heads, even earlier ones, unless someone at the foundry was playing with chamber shapes...one would think a new casting#'d be used? My impression is it had been spray welded(very pro) & then surfaced enough to clean up the deck. Interested to see more of that one.

I would guess natural gas with the btu loss of the fuel adding compression would keep power up maybe a generator engine

OK, guess l misunderstood, You meant it wasn't mowed down until that shape developed. "447" is the std casting# for peanut plug heads, even earlier ones, unless someone at the foundry was playing with chamber shapes...one would think a new casting#'d be used? My impression is it had been spray welded(very pro) & then surfaced enough to clean up the deck. Interested to see more of that one.

Blow the picture up. It has not been modified.

View attachment 1715686995
Here's one I didn't know existed. Could you imagine if it was a 7 main block with a Hemi head? Bullet proof! Factory HEMI Head!

Slant 6 Hemi head.jpg

Here is a good closeup of the chamber. It is unmodified from the factory casting. It MAY have been milled in the past just for a clean up, but I don't think so. I'll know more and will post more pictures soon.

SLANT HEAD CHAMBER.jpg

Blow the picture up. It has not been modified.
LOL, if l could, l would. My PC went bonkers a while back, & l haven't replaced nor attempted repairs yet. This flip phone is lucky to give Me anything, but better than nothing. Interesting piece for sure. I wonder if that was a late attempt in iron before the Al-U-minimum one that was basically a 6cyl pushrod version of the 2.2/2.5 head. That unit looks like they emulated the 258ci. AMC-6 chamber.

LOL, if l could, l would. My PC went bonkers a while back, & l haven't replaced nor attempted repairs yet. This flip phone is lucky to give Me anything, but better than nothing. Interesting piece for sure. I wonder if that was a late attempt in iron before the Al-U-minimum one that was basically a 6cyl pushrod version of the 2.2/2.5 head. That unit looks like they emulated the 258ci. AMC-6 chamber.

It kinda does remind me of that, too. I agree with you about the casting number, BUT the ONLY reference I can find for it is in lists. No description, no pictures. Just the number. Have you found anything other than that?

The valve arrangement on the 258 and slant heads are different though. But you're right, the chambers do look very similar.

Interesting for sure.

It was just one of those things I could not help myself from. LOL I had to have it. I'll post a lot more pictures when it gets here.

So Chrysler 4cylinders and V8s all went to fastburn closed chamber heads starting for the 1985 model year. The slant six was in production up through 1987. Any chance they made a fastburn slant head for '85-'87?!

-
Back