I Might Have Found Something Pretty Cool.....

-
so rusty, whats the over all goal to achieve with this head? what kind of results are you expecting? So maybe now alot of us will search junkyards for aspen volare /6's.
been driving /6's over 40+years never really gave them a second thought till recently, always took them for granted.

so rusty, whats the over all goal to achieve with this head? what kind of results are you expecting? So maybe now alot of us will search junkyards for aspen volare /6's.
been driving /6's over 40+years never really gave them a second thought till recently, always took them for granted.

This long rod engine I have the Chrysler 2.2 non turbo pistons and longer 198 rods in. So right now, the unmodified deck clearance is .043" in the hole. Before I found the head, I was not going to be able to zero deck height the block, due to compression being too high. 9.8 with the stock open chamber head.

Even though it's a closed chamber head, because the chamber was cast deeper, it's the same size as the open chamber. This is good. That means I can zero deck height the block and have good quench (about .035.038). The quench distance will be "whatever" the head gasket compresses to. I'm not looking for more power, though it may accidentally happen with good quench. I am looking for anything to aid in detonation reduction and it will do that for sure. I've done all the math and it says DCR will be 7.9-ish, so it should be fine on pump gas.

Last edited:
Got the "unicorn" head updated to the 318 valves. Richie did a great job. Dropped the head off at the porter's today. Should be ready soon and I'll post pictures and numbers. Mike @ B3 Racing engines is getting my rocker shaft relocating shims ready.

Got the "unicorn" head updated to the 318 valves. Richie did a great job. Dropped the head off at the porter's today. Should be ready soon and I'll post pictures and numbers. Mike @ B3 Racing engines is getting my rocker shaft relocating shims ready.
Question, guessing that you are doing the shims for the shaft relocation because the 318 valves are longer than the stock slant valves, does B3 need the head and short block to get the shims right, or do they work off photos or just off valve stem lengths? And roughly what does that cost?
And if I understand what B3 is doing their shims are tapered so they not only move the rocker shaft up, they also move it sideways, is that correct?
Thanks

Question, guessing that you are doing the shims for the shaft relocation because the 318 valves are longer than the stock slant valves, does B3 need the head and short block to get the shims right, or do they work off photos or just off valve stem lengths? And roughly what does that cost?
And if I understand what B3 is doing their shims are tapered so they not only move the rocker shaft up, they also move it sideways, is that correct?
Thanks

He needs one measurement with a T square straight edge against the valve stem and the other end on top of the rocker shaft. From there he needs the measurement of the gap between the metal rule and the valve tip. Mine was .040". And yes, the shims move the shaft both up and over. The 318 valves are longer on the order of .300" which is great for me, because I needed more room for a good spring for the roller camshaft. They are going to set up right at 1.8" with about 160 on the seat. Perfect for a low lift (.488") mild ramp solid roller.

He needs one measurement with a T square straight edge against the valve stem and the other end on top of the rocker shaft. From there he needs the measurement of the gap between the metal rule and the valve tip. Mine was .040". And yes, the shims move the shaft both up and over. The 318 valves are longer on the order of .300" which is great for me, because I needed more room for a good spring for the roller camshaft. They are going to set up right at 1.8" with about 160 on the seat. Perfect for a low lift (.488") mild ramp solid roller.
Thanks, the 289 Ford valves that I am using are a little over .100 longer than the stock slant valves. I shimmed the rocker shaft up, made it better but the contact patch is not the best. I will look closer at the B3 solution.

Thanks, the 289 Ford valves that I am using are a little over .100 longer than the stock slant valves. I shimmed the rocker shaft up, made it better but the contact patch is not the best. I will look closer at the B3 solution.
Just a FYI. I have a head that has longer valves, and a raised shaft. I milled the cast rocker stands off the head, and used the old big block 413 cid bolt on rocker stands

Just a FYI. I have a head that has longer valves, and a raised shaft. I milled the cast rocker stands off the head, and used the old big block 413 cid bolt on rocker stands

Very cool Charlie. do you have any pictures of that? I would love to see it. That's some real creativity.

I would think making shaft spacers would not be a big deal.
Beehive Springs and Shaft Mods.jpg

Back from Killian's Porting Service. Jerry officially said this is the last iron head he will ever do. He said there was so much nickle in it that it constantly sprayed sparks the whole time. lol At any rate, here it is.

CLOSED CHAMBER PORTED.jpg
CLOSED CHAMBER PORTED2.jpg
CLOSED CHAMBER PORTED1.jpg

Here is the port flow before and after, in that order. Keep in mind, this is with just a single 45 on the valves and NO back cuts whatsoever and with the valve job untouched after porting. Both of which will be done shortly. I'm petty happy with it.

Before:

CLOSED CHAMBER BEFORE PORT FLOW.jpg

After:

CLOSED CHAMBE AFTER PORT FLOW.jpg

He done good on the exhaust.
I dont get too carried away on the exh myself, about 145 is what I see after my work.

I thought it was pretty good too, considering the valves only have the factory 45 right now. Probably won't have it flowed again. What do you think a 30 and a 15 will add to the backs of them? Anything? Not that it really matters. lol

I thought it was pretty good too, considering the valves only have the factory 45 right now. Probably won't have it flowed again. What do you think a 30 and a 15 will add to the backs of them? Anything? Not that it really matters. lol
I think the factory does like a 60-45 + 0

15 can pick up the flow up to .400, but typically just a 30 alone will bring you a stronger Peak number-60,45,30

Some factory stuff looks steeper even, like 75 .

Last edited:
Most don't have enough appreciation for how big an influance the valve-job & valve profiles have on those numbers, esp with the relatively low lift for the duration......it's gonna matter for sure. Really curious why B4 the VJ, but those should be decent #'s when done. Caint wait for a little audio/video Rusty! :thumbsup:

I got the guides cut to the diameter seals I'm using and also opened the sprAng seats up just enough to accommodate the Comp 911 sprAngs. This procedure also cuts the step out of the seat at the base of the guide in case I go to a dual sprAng in the future. Very doubtful, though. Jerry was right. This dang head does have a LOT of nickle in it. It's hard as a rock. The cutter still did a good job, though. I kept it SOAKED with Deep Creep.

CLOSED CHAMBER SEATS AND GUIDES CUT.jpg

REALLY nice work!

Thanks. Jerry is a master at hand porting. He's a local legend. I consider him one of the best porters in the country. I feel pretty honored he saved his last iron head port job for me. We've been talkin about it for over a year and he swore me to secrecy until it was done. lol

Thanks. Jerry is a master at hand porting. He's a local legend. I consider him one of the best porters in the country. I feel pretty honored he saved his last iron head port job for me. We've been talkin about it for over a year and he swore me to secrecy until it was done. lol
His work looks excellent, and not many people will even touch cast iron...that's the sweetest slant head I think I've ever seen!

head looks awesome, what setup carb,intake,exhaust are you going to use?

head looks awesome, what setup carb,intake,exhaust are you going to use?

Sorry I missed this. Probably same as I'm running now. Offy four barrel intake, QFT 450 ported and opened up stock exhaust mannyfold. Only change I might make is a Holley 600 DP with the new engine.

Finally found the elusive rear rocker shaft bolt. Got the rocker shaft torqued down and my Crane adjusters on. The head is officially done. Now I need to get the block decked and I can build another slant 6. I remeasured the chambers and Jerry did exactly what I asked. He bigged um up lust a little. lol. They are all within 59-60 CCs.
DSCF1581.JPG
DSCF1580.JPG
DSCF1578.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back