I Miss Sears!

-
I miss knowledge people that work at these hardware stores. It's hard to find anyone on the floor, they did away with checkers in order to put more people on the floor and that didn't happen either. Self check out needs to be done away with.

They lost my business when they sold Craftsman and then stopped making it all in the USA. Some of Apex Tool is made in USA. mostly I keep my eyes open at swap meets for good USA Craftsman or Mac or Matco tools.

They lost my business when they sold Craftsman and then stopped making it all in the USA. Some of Apex Tool is made in USA. mostly I keep my eyes open at swap meets for good USA Craftsman or Mac or Matco tools.
I seen some craftsman tools in a hardware store and they had usa on them, not all of the craftsman tools are made here and they were like that when sears was still in business. My parents had a neighbor who had never been in Walmart because they sold imported products and treated their employees terrible. He would drive over a hour to buy his clothes because they were made here, he was a hard core union man

i'm sure sears had good stuff .....but... my dad worked for montgomery ward and everything in our house came from there. i'm sure the 10% discount was a big factor.

I'm particular to sears and roebuck.

My heirloom is a Sears and Roebuck 22 bolt action. My Daddy's Daddy gave it to him before he gave it to me. Love that gun.
I'll take the little dingley thingy on the bottom of your ear off at 200 yards with that baby.

I have a Sears and Roebuck 1982 Game Fisher boat. Has a chrysler 5 hrs motor. Works great for catfish.

In the last 15 years, I have purchased lots of appliance's from Sears and they have all failed.
dryers, washers, refrigerators, dish washers, hot water heaters.
They have all broken within a few years. When I then need parts I would have to call a parts department that was absolutely stupid. Then the parts would come in a weeks time from China. Then the parts would be wrong and would need them again. I once went 2 weeks without a hot water heater. (made me realize how happy I am to be civilized).
Basically sears has become crappy due to china china china crap.
Our small town store just closed down a few months ago. Sad to see it go. But, I stopped buying electronic items from them.

Plus, I did love the bra section of the sears catalogue when I was but a wee boy. hahaha!

Blame Sears CEO Eddie Lampert, the Goldman Sachs reject that ruined the Sears corporation.
Funny the guy merged Kmart and Sears in 2005 and now they are both about gone.
Yes, not really too strange. And I bet he had his golden parachute.
Pennies on the dollar. My sis worked for Sears from the age of 16 and worked her way up to management.
She was 52 when she got the screw.
I knew some people who made a good career out of working for Sears. We knew one guy who had been working in appliances for about 30 years. Between his salary and commissions, he was making good money. I haven't seen him in a long time, but I bet he got screwed too. And he knew his products backwards and forwards. Go most places now and ask detailed questions, and you will hear crickets.

The "Craftsman" tools at Lowes seem lower quality and the selection has gone way down.

I know there's an online Craftsman through Sears, but that selection is way down. They used to carry all kinds of specialty stuff.

When they were closing stores here 2019 and 2020. And they were discounting stuff aggressively on their online store. I bought a lot of stuff. I knew the end was near and it was my last chance.

Side note: just found out you can review old online orders at www.sears.com all the way back until 2007.

I clicked on many of these tools and they are not available any more.

Some of the deals then...

$48 for 8 items. Just shipped in 3 groups.

1673934110863.png

1673934122585.png

1673934135858.png

Last edited:
These 20 stores are prone to closure in the near future, according to an article I read (Sears is doing OK in Mexico-probably bought out here and just keeping the name).

The key to Mexico's success? His name is Carlos Slim Helú. The richest man in Mexico, Slim purchased Sears Holdings through his retail holding Grupo Sanborns, which presently owns 99% of Sears Mexico.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 10.43.31 PM.png

These 20 stores are prone to closure in the near future, according to an article I read (Sears is doing OK in Mexico-probably bought out here and just keeping the name).

The key to Mexico's success? His name is Carlos Slim Helú. The richest man in Mexico, Slim purchased Sears Holdings through his retail holding Grupo Sanborns, which presently owns 99% of Sears Mexico.

View attachment 1716036157

Burbank is gone.

Whitter sounds like barely hanging on from a youtube video last April

Burbank is gone.
yeah that was a long sloooowwwww decline. the going out of business banner was out front forever. that store had a pretty decent tool department.

the valley plaza store was tops! but alas, time marches on, even in NoHo...

Sears did sell everything. I have a JC Higgins 1940s 12ga double barrel shotgun that was sold through Sears as well as a 1940s JC Higgins rod and reel and a couple of JC Higgins pressure lanterns similar to Coleman. All still work as designed.

I miss the old free standing Sears store in downtown Macon. They always had a major toy display in the basement every year at Christmas, complete with a very extravagant toy train layout. It was really magical. Nobody does that kinda thing anymore.

Last edited:
I heard that sears is doing good in California
sears has 11 stores in CA, four of which are retail and of those four, technically one is a "hometown stores" and Whittier is all but gone, so two retail outlets and the rest are tire/auto or appliance outlet or appliance repair.

they closed three massive stores here in the San Fernando Valley which has 1/3 of the population of Los Angeles. all three were anchors of large retail malls or shopping centers.

so, I'd say, that no, they are not doing good in California.

sears has 11 stores in CA, four of which are retail and of those four, technically one is a "hometown stores" and Whittier is all but gone, so two retail outlets and the rest are tire/auto or appliance outlet or appliance repair.

they closed three massive stores here in the San Fernando Valley which has 1/3 of the population of Los Angeles. all three were anchors of large retail malls or shopping centers.

so, I'd say, that no, they are not doing good in California.
Bummer.

Blame Sears CEO Eddie Lampert, the Goldman Sachs reject that ruined the Sears corporation.
Funny the guy merged Kmart and Sears in 2005 and now they are both about gone.

He was in it for the property investment. He is exactly the face of what Wall Street is today IMO....

JW

My son and I ran the Sears Diehard Platinum batteries in our race cars for years with great success. Such good success that when Advance Auto bought the names selling rights I took a chance and bought one. Going on my 4th year I think with zero issues.

I’m probably an oddball but I for one hate their ratchets. They are in my box but I’ll grab a Harbor freight ratchet before I’ll grab a Craftsman crap.

I remember , there were 4 guys in Tulsa , that had my exact name (way back) , one had a charge account at sears , his account number was exactly the same as mine , right down to the last
digit , and it was differant by one , they were always billing me for his purchaces , which were many and often ...

I've been in the market for a used "3 bag" concrete mixer for a few months.
Checking craigslist routinely yields one or two a month, usually HF units with some priced almost as much as new ones ($250 plus tax).
Last week I scored a Sears brand 3.5 bag unit for $120. Way cooler, and likely better quality.

Here it is next to my Sears brand "attic fan" that works great as a shop fan. Also note the Sears brand regulator and moisture trap on the compressor.
Anyone happen to know what color that "Sears yellow/tan" is in today's paint or better yet a spray can?
20230116_142733.jpg

I do find it ironic that Sears, who revolutionized the mail order business got put out of business by the evolution of "the mail order business".

Sears and K Mart. Both staples of American life "back in the day".

calvin-blue-light-special.gif

I have various tools bought there 30 years ago that still work, a Shop vac, battery charger and a worm drive circular saw made by Skil but had craftsman name on it.

I heard that sears is doing good in California, but I know that for a fact. And when a company fires a CEO they pay them millions. I believe that CEOs and other over paid management should have their pay strictly based on how the company does. Also they should have to take 401k plan like the rest of the employees and not get outrageous bonuses, bonuses should be for all of the employees not just the ones who make stupid decisions
sorry, but no

if employees want to work for bonuses, they should work on comission

bonuses are for those who bear the risk and brunt of the company...the owners, the ones who put it all on the line to get this thing going
not for the blue collars, or even white collars who just punch a clock

Our home oven/range is a very late Kenmore glass top.

Bought used in 2007-ish.

Works great but it's a bit "hot", IE temp is a little higher than what you set.

Not sure who the "real" MFG is, though.

Our home oven/range is a very late Kenmore glass top.

Bought used in 2007-ish.

Works great but it's a bit "hot", IE temp is a little higher than what you set.

Not sure who the "real" MFG is, though.
kenmore_mod_tag.jpg
Sears manufacturers by Kenmore model number Prefix "Kenmore 80" or "Oasis" is not the model number!
Model Prefix​
Manufacturer​
Appliance Type​
103.RoperKenmore cooktops, wall ovens
106.WhirlpoolKenmore refrigerators, air conditioners
110.WhirlpoolKenmore washers, dryers, dishwashers
116.Absocoldice makers
118.Corningcooktops, ranges
119.”Athens, Royal Chef (Electrolux), Roper (Whirlpool)cooktops, ranges
126.Absocold?refrigerators, ice makers
154.Whirlpoolcooktops, ranges
183.Haierfreezers
196.Brownranges
198.Whirlpoolfreezers
233.Broanhood
253.Gibson (Electrolux)ac, refrigerators
266.GEwashers, dryers
267.GEwashers, dryers
278.Roper (Whirlpool)wall oven, microwaves
335.Amanaranges
362.Roper (Whirlpool)ranges
363.GE, LGrefrigerators, dishwashers, microwaves
401.Samsungmicrowaves
402.Samsungwashers, dryers
417.Kelvinator (Electrolux)washers, dryers
465.Maytag (Whirlpool)dishwashers
501.Goldstar (LG)washers, dryers, refrigerators
564.Sanyomicrowaves, freezers
565.Sanyomicrowaves
566.Sanyomicrowaves
567.Sanyomicrowaves
575.ColdSpotfreezers
586.Amana (Whirlpool)refrigerators
587.Electroluxdishwashers
592.Samsungwashers, dryers, microwaves
596.Amanarefrigerators
622.Whirlpoolranges, compactors
628.Kelvinator (Electrolux)ranges
629.Maytag (Whirlpool)ranges
630.Boschdishwashers
647.Roper (Whirlpool)ranges
651.Amana (Whirlpool)ranges
664.Whirlpoolcooktops, wall oven
665.Whirlpooldishwashers, ranges, wall ovens
666.KitchenAid (Whirlpool)ranges
675.WC Wood Co.refrigerators, freezers
683.Philcowashers, dryers
721.Goldstar (LG)microwaves
757.Imperialfreezers, ranges
767.”LGmicrowaves, refrigerators
790.Frigidaire (Electrolux)ranges
791.Tappan (Electrolux)ranges
795.LGrefrigerators
796.LGwashers, dryers
850.Preway (Whirlpool)wall ovens
880.Whirlpoolranges
911.GEwall ovens, cooktops
917.”Roper (Whirlpool), GE, Electroluxranges
970.Electroluxranges, refrigerators
And that's over simplifying things, here's the rest of the facts...
  1. Whirlpool appliances in years past had a reputation for great quality and functionality. However, if you get a Sears Kenmore appliance today that's built by Whirlpool bookmark this website because your probably going to need it.
  2. Samsung and LG produce much of the newer Frigidaire and Whirlpool appliance designs.
  3. GE's appliance division was just purchased by Haire
  4. So in a round about way if you buy a Kenmore appliance that, by the model number appears to be produced by GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Maytag, etc. There is an increasingly good chance your Kenmore appliance was actually produced by LG, Samsung, or Haire.
    Please Don't Shoot the Messenger...
    So if you are having trouble finding repair help for your appliance problem try finding a Samsung or LG appliance that has a very similar appearance and the troubleshooting and diagnostics for your Kenmore appliance may be the same

sorry, but no

if employees want to work for bonuses, they should work on comission

bonuses are for those who bear the risk and brunt of the company...the owners, the ones who put it all on the line to get this thing going
not for the blue collars, or even white collars who just punch a clock
Sorry, but I disagree with you on the bonus payouts. The job I had for 27 gave it's employees a nice bonus right before Christmas, most of mine were $1500 or more. They believed in sharing their profits with their employees. Also my raises were 3-3.5% every year. 4 weeks vacation, 12 paid holidays, 3 paid sick days, great insurance. I don't want to sound disrespectful but you sound like you're in upper management.

Sorry, but I disagree with you on the bonus payouts. The job I had for 27 gave it's employees a nice bonus right before Christmas, most of mine were $1500 or more. They believed in sharing their profits with their employees. Also my raises were 3-3.5% every year. 4 weeks vacation, 12 paid holidays, 3 paid sick days, great insurance. I don't want to sound disrespectful but you sound like you're in upper management.
lets just say im self employed

its nice that you used to get bonuses but your boss had no reason to do so
it would seem to me, a better base pay would be beneficial to you
(of course, with a higher base pay, on a bad year, they cant cut you down a bit)

-
Back