I need some GOOD header gaskets

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got the pipes ran off the headers and damn the header leaks. I have some NOS CPPA 3/8 flange headers on some stock port J heads. I used some solid copper gaskets but they were real thin and couldn't conform to the flanges very well. Just for kicks I used a Mr Gasket standard gasket along with the thin copper gasket and that seals pretty well. But I know that is not a permanent fix. What do you the gang suggest I use for gaskets?

Thanks dok, Due Owe you a co-pay? I like the looks of the Remflex, Anyone use these before?

I've heard good things about the Percy's header gaskets but haven't used them. Anybody here used them?

I use 1 gasket per side, Mr. Gasket! I also run Permatex Gold high temp sealer, no leaks yet! I have even had the passenger side header off twice, never resealed, used the same gasket, still no leaks! I was very surprised. I heard the copper or aluminum ones are junk, having good headers is a big part also, I run Hooker supercomps on my 340.

The passenger side on my car tends to leak even using the thicker gaskets. So I just did the old trick of 2 gaskets on it. And by the way I'm turning blue here also waiting on an answer about the Percy and Remflex gaskets.

Have you re-torqued the bolts? I know I had to re-torque mine about about three times before they stopped leaking. I used the gaskets that came with TTI headers.

I second remflex. Awesome gaskets and reusable.

The passenger side on my car tends to leak even using the thicker gaskets. So I just did the old trick of 2 gaskets on it. And by the way I'm turning blue here also waiting on an answer about the Percy and Remflex gaskets.

That is funny, my pass side leaks much worse than the drivers also? I doubled up on the pass side and it is much better. Now I can hear one on the drivers side. I'm waiting for some testimonials too.

have used the mrgasket ultra seals since 2001 and they have not started to leak so far, they have been changed cause i always manage to destroy them taking the motor out or putting it in again but always sealed well for me, with thickflanged tti headers they will even last running without one bolt here and there.

I have tried to retorque them but no luck. I think I'll try the Remflex or the Mr. Gasket ultra seals. I'll post my results. Thanks for all the feedback.

Mr gasket ultra seals and stage 8 locking bolts,runnem and re torque for the first two weeks then put on the locks,mine been together since I built it with no problems and daily drive it.

Mr gasket ultra seals and stage 8 locking bolts,runnem and re torque for the first two weeks then put on the locks,mine been together since I built it with no problems and daily drive it.

Who makes the stage 8 locking bolts?

stage 8 makes em,when you go to install the locks on the headers with the tight turns you will have to trim them to fit with tin snips,I'll try to get you some pic's later.

I used the Percy collector gaskets on the Duster when I changed
to the X pipe. I'm going to use there header gaskets when I
change out the headers this winter. The collector gaskets are
great. If the header gaskets are half as good I'll be happy.
Check with your local parts store. You might get the gaskets
cheaper. I got mine at the local AutoZone. Only paid $29.68
for the set. And no shipping.

Remflex will seal the head to header flange well but they are soft. After a few months, the passenger side gasket separated and protruded out (leaking again) near the alternator. I think I may try the Bison gaskets I bought at the local speed shop last year, they are thick like the Remflex gaskets but not so soft.

I've been running Percy's in the Duster since the summer of 05 (initial build) and have had no issues at all...And I run the car hard.

I also suggest you try your local AutoZone...their price is sometimes a buck or two lower than a mail order outfit, and more importantly, they are usually in the store within 2-3 days and you don't pay freight on them 8)

FYI, I bought the Percy's and they seem to work great. Had the car out today and ran it pretty hard and NO LEAKS! Thanks for all the feedback.

-
Back