I need some help with an issue

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Or at least I thought it was one and my buddy said you are worried about nothing. Back a year ago or more when I had a post about porting a Speedmaster intake. Well I mentioned I put a hole in it while porting. I put it on my shelf with the thought of trying to weld up the hole. Well I showed my buddy and he reassured me it wasn’t anything to worry about. then backed up his thinking by saying technically it’s the same as cutting out the divider on a dual plane or if it was on a single plane it would be in the open area. I want to sell this intake but I want it to be right. So what do you guys think. I put a bolt in the hole on a couple of pictures to see it easier.
C53D4540-8620-4CE1-B671-2D7FBE5B9F50.jpeg
9DE59BB0-93DC-4453-93D2-A0C65F5183CA.jpeg
FD57B4AE-4345-42DC-AD78-07686A9F5C3E.jpeg

Two part grey epoxy would seal it up for good as far as making it usable??/ There isn't anything but a slight vacuum in there anyway.

All that does is join the two plenums together. Shouldn’t do a damn thing. You could argue that it would “balance the pulses between the two” and call it a performance enhancement.
:lol:

Two part grey epoxy would seal it up for good as far as making it usable??/ There isn't anything but a slight vacuum in there anyway.

I didn’t want to risk epoxy and even bought copper to use for a back up and put a goodie weld on it. But I’m just trying to get some more opinions. After he explained it to me it makes sense to me that it can’t harm anything

I didn’t want to risk epoxy and even bought copper to use for a back up and put a goodie weld on it. But I’m just trying to get some more opinions. After he explained it to me it makes sense to me that it can’t harm anything
Take your buddies word for it, he's right.
Save your welder for another day.

Like I said I want to sell it and be comfortable doing it. I would eat it before I would screw someone out of this little bit of money. Now if it was of more value, or I mean. Lol. Thanks guys.

Offer it for sale, explain what you were told. Tell the buyer that if they want, you will weld up the hole & smooth it out.

If you have the means to weld it up, why not just weld it and smooth it out. That wouldn't take long, would it?

Only going by what I’ve been told some of these Chinese aluminum doesn’t weld real nice. My Tig welding sucks so I bought a spool gun but never tried it yet.

Too bad you aren't closer, my grandson does beautiful work with a spool gun. He bent some aluminum diamond plate & built a tool box for his other grandpa's truck. All if the welds looked like a stack up dimes.

PR, as you know I earn a living with a welding hood and I would not spool gun that. I would heli arc it. Remember regardless of your skills you are going to grind it down and polish it a bit so no worries on your skill set! Grinders were invented to hide sin. Great practice on a part you literally can’t tear up. Use 1/16 -4043 alum rod and pre heat it a bit and you will be fine.

Sell it as is and make sure the buyer is fully informed. They can't blame you for that. Unfortunately, I would suspect it would have to be sold at a discount. I wouldn't want to find out later that it had been repaired if I was the buyer. I appreciate full disclosure.

Sell it as is and make sure the buyer is fully informed. They can't blame you for that. Unfortunately, I would suspect it would have to be sold at a discount. I wouldn't want to find out later that it had been repaired if I was the buyer. I appreciate full disclosure.
Knowing PR as we do there is no doubt he would disclose repair. But to your point he will have a hour or so in repair and part would likely get price reduced regardless of how well repair is preformed. So best route may be simply to do as you suggest, sell it as is. Lord knows none of us need the practice repairing stuff just to sell.

You’ve certainly worked with epoxy with all the porting you’ve done, you don’t need advice on how to fix it do you really?? and you have access from both sides of the hole to peen/dimple/rough up the hole, pack epoxy in there from both directions, feather it etc to where it ain’t coming out. It’ll be there long after the engine and car it goes in is junked/crushed. Let the buyer know and your conscience is clear.:thumbsup:

You’ve certainly worked with epoxy with all the porting you’ve done, you don’t need advice on how to fix it do you really?? and you have access from both sides of the hole to peen/dimple/rough up the hole, pack epoxy in there from both directions, feather it etc to where it ain’t coming out. It’ll be there long after the engine and car it goes in is junked/crushed. Let the buyer know and your conscience is clear.:thumbsup:

If I bought it and it wasn’t going to create an issue I would rather have a hole than epoxy.

But if it doesn’t matter why bother. It’s not like I don’t have other projects.
I think you are reducing the number of potential buyers by not welding it up. Whether or not it is truly an issue, a lot of people will walk away because of a hole like that. Since it only costs a little time I’d be fixing it before sale if it were me. My 0.02 cents

I think you are reducing the number of potential buyers by not welding it up. Whether or not it is truly an issue, a lot of people will walk away because of a hole like that. Since it only costs a little time I’d be fixing it before sale if it were me. My 0.02 cents

ya but I’ll bet you wouldn’t sell it for as cheap as I will for a pretty nice flowing intake.

If the hole is an issue for a potential buyer, melt it down and send it back to China.

If I bought it and it wasn’t going to create an issue I would rather have a hole than epoxy.
An as cast Speedmaster (iirc for what you and others have shown) is not something to be impressed with but you ported the heck out of it, and improved it beyond what most would ever do, its certainly far superior even with a hole. Didn't you flow it with the hole??

Dress it up some more, call it a
“Signal Balance Port” PBR’s “SBP” a selectively placed tuned port, precisely placed so as to equalize the signal the carb sees.....someone will eat it up!! :lol:

-
Back