I placed an ad: FORD 9 inch axle for sale or TRADE for Mopar parts...

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
...I was wanting to make a few bucks on this axle that I pulled from a trailer I have:
Ford axle 4.JPG

Ford axle 3.JPG

So I placed an ad on Craigslist. I have never tried to trade anything there before but A guy responded with.....
Would you trade for a Mopar axle?
Maybe.....What kind? Car or truck?
It is from a 1971 Valiant.
IMG_4882.JPG

WHAT ??? Really ??

IMG_4888.JPG

Check out all the paint markings. The axle is drum to drum with spring plates and parking brake cables. I was asking $300 for the Ford axle.

IMG_4887.JPG

The only bummer is that it is a 2.76 open diff. I am a bit confused though. The car was a 71 Valiant 4 door. I thought the 8 3/4" axle was only available in non performance cars when a "Towing Package" was chosen. If this was the case, it should have 3.23 or 3.55 gears. I wonder if these were swapped out OR if Ma Mopar just stuffed these axles in random cars to use up the remaining axles...?
What is one of these worth nowadays? It is small bolt pattern with 10" brakes. I may or may not use it but I usually convert all my A-body projects to a bigger bolt pattern when I add the 73 and later front disc brakes.

Sellers of a complete 8-3/4 rear end cam range from $800 ro $1200 as I have observed. The price gap is due to actual parts on the package. Suregrips, performance gears, spools, back braced, disc brakes, etc, wil alter the price as well as the condition of the housing itself.

For a MoPar, this is a very desirable rear end. Even more so for small block equipped A bodies.

So I placed an ad on Craigslist. I have never tried to trade anything there before but A guy responded with.....
Would you trade for a Mopar axle?
Maybe.....What kind? Car or truck?
It is from a 1971 Valiant.
View attachment 1715229492

WHAT ??? Really ??

View attachment 1715229493

Check out all the paint markings. The axle is drum to drum with spring plates and parking brake cables. I was asking $300 for the Ford axle.

View attachment 1715229494
The only bummer is that it is a 2.76 open diff. I am a bit confused though. The car was a 71 Valiant 4 door. I thought the 8 3/4" axle was only available in non performance cars when a "Towing Package" was chosen. If this was the case, it should have 3.23 or 3.55 gears. I wonder if these were swapped out OR if Ma Mopar just stuffed these axles in random cars to use up the remaining axles...?
What is one of these worth nowadays? It is small bolt pattern with 10" brakes. I may or may not use it but I usually convert all my A-body projects to a bigger bolt pattern when I add the 73 and later front disc brakes.

I had a 70 Dart swinger once with a 318 and 8 3/4" 2.76 axle... It was just a basic 318 Dart Swinger and the window sticker did not mention the 8 3/4" axle.... But it did have one...

Great score... :thumbsup:

-
Back