I surprised someone tonight!

-

My 72 340

Reaction score
Ever since I took ownership of the family Duster, I have been trying to think of the original owner's last name. I knew what street he lived on when he sold the car to my brother (RIP Bro) back in 1978. But a distant relative who remembered him couldn't remember his last name.

So I googled his first name and street name and city & state and most of the results went to one last name and middle initial. One link I clicked on gave me a name and an age that would seem correct, plus it listed where this person previously lived and there was that street name in my hometown. It had a North Carolina phone number, I called it.

A lady answered, I introduced myself and told her where I was from and asked for her husband, she replied that he was out and would be back in about 30 minutes then asked what she could do for me, so I asked if her husband owned and sold a 1972 Duster 340 back in 1978? The excitement in her voice when she described the wild candy apple paint job (Look in my photo gallery, there is a couple shots), "you mean that car?" When I told her yes that is the car, it was the "omg I can't believe it's still around"! We talked for a few minutes answering her questions and such and told me she would have her husband call when he got home.

20 minutes later the call came, His voice was just as excited sounding as his wife was, and we talked about everything, He saw one at the dealer that he liked but didn't want an automatic, so he ordered one with a 4 speed, didn't seem to take him long to start playing, he did the motor with a solid flat tappet cam, had the heads shaved off a few thousands and the valves redone, did his own porting job on them, the Edelbrock Torker 340 intake and carb (told me to get an 800 DP Holley and bolt it on straight out of the box, and it will really run, he put a 700DP on it to tone it down a little) He also did the wild candy apple paint job himself said it took him over 2 months. He and his wife were both amazed at the low mileage number, we chatted for almost an hour.

He has family and friends in my hometown, he's planning a visit in July, I told him he is welcome to "get reacquainted" with it and take it for a spin, so it sounds like a reunion meeting is going to happen this summer. I'm actually excited.

Whoa, that gives me goosebumps. Some divine guidance there. Maybe your brother helped. Very happy people on both ends of your discovery.

That's cool! I wish I could here back on some of my old cars. Your story of the car still being in good shape and taken care of is the probably the exception in most cases.

Awesome!!! I still go by the original owners house where we got Sunfish from!! This past summer I stopped to show him the dash that we redid!! He was stunned when I told him the car was in the driveway, he came out all giddy like a kid on Christmas!!

You're gonna make those people very happy when they see the car!! I know they'll be sitting in it, taking selfies and messaging their kids and stuff!!

The guy I bought my 54000 mile 73 Satellite from had one condition for the sale-

Do NOT ever return to show him the car.

very neat stuff.. way to keep the faith too - essentially a random act of kindness - one of those "win win" kinda things - good on you!

Thanks all, just felt I had to tell it here.

He called my cell while I was at work, unfortunately I couldn't take the call. He left a message saying he had more info to tell me and will call later tonight.

Keep us updated! Great story too.

I bought my car off the original owner which is dead now so I don't get to dream of stories like this.

A little bit of irony went on this week, I work in a family run auto parts store at the counter, I work with another person named John, an older gentleman who walks with a limp from an unfortunate incident on his motorcycle. On Friday it was a little slow and later on in the afternoon we were discussing finding the Dusters owner, he asked me how I found him so I started with the story and when I mentioned the street name, he quickly asked what's the guy's first name was, I told him and he immediately blurted out the guy's last name! Here John was dating the owners' wife's sister for years until unfortunately the nasty "C" took her life. He remembered the Duster from back then when the sisters would meet for a visit.

So later that night the owner finally called, after the normal hello how's things pleasantries, the first thing he asks is "That guy John you talked about, does he walk with a limp?" I answered that he did, and got the whole story again from his point of view which was basicly the same as I knew from John. Here I have worked with this guy for 7 years side by side, and I could of had the answers long ago!

Anyway, he told me the X heads are a 1970 vintage, I thought the engine was bored, he believes it was still the stock bore, he did change the rod and main bearings to Federal Mogul bearings as in his words he wanted a better quality bearing set on the bottom end. He didn't remember how much the heads were shaved he just said a "few thousands". I also mentioned to him that the engine number stamping (38340059) on the front of the block under the head verifies the engine came with a factory forged crank. He did give me the valve lash figures for the adjustable rockers so I'll check those out this spring and make sure they are correct. I also asked him about something I saw in the valley when replacing intake gaskets to fix an oil leak from the back of the manifold, a copper tube that runs from the right front of the valley to the left rear, both ends terminating in the lifter area, (pic below) he told be that modification puts more oil to a place in the block that could be oil deficient, the machine shop did that mod.

He asked if he could get some pics of the car and I had a bunch on my phone so I cent him a few pics of the outside, inside, trunk, the only thing I couldn't send was a video of it running while walking around the car.He was actually very impressed on how well "preserved" (in his words) the car really is.

Since the heads are 70 vintage I will start running a lead substitute to better protect my exhaust valve seats. Unless I can find some cam 2!

Now he is totally excited about the reunion in July!

Attachments

• 20150412_145924[1].jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 197
UPDATE!

Well first, He could not make it up from NC last year which kind of bummed me out as I really wanted to meet him, but life went on until last Friday when my cell phone rang while I was at work and his name popped up on my screen, I immediately answered the phone, he told me he was in town and wanted to see me, 20 minutes later he showed up at my workplace and we were face to face for the very first time. I called my work partner John from the back of the store and we both chatted with him for about 15 minutes or so. We arranged a meeting for Saturday at the Hotel where he was staying at and would call me when he was there to set a time for the meet.

Yesterday evening the wife and I went to the Hotel and met him in the parking lot, the man was in awe, he loved the paint color, looked inside the car, then under the hood, and in the trunk, he just couldn't believe how well preserved the car was inside and out. I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride and to a resounding "yes!" I handed him the keys and said "Wanna drive? "I would love to" was his response. We cruised it around the town for about 20 minutes, he even opened it up on a straight stretch of road and said it felt the same as he remembered from years ago. When we got back to the Hotel I took a pic of him with the car then the wife took one of both of us with the car, we chatted for a little while longer and then the wife and I left. I do wish I could of met his wife too but she was at a Class Reunion, sadly they are leaving today.

A very unique story. I've tried with a couple of cars I've owned to locate a previous owner or the location of a car afterwards with zero luck. In both cases they were 70 340 4speed Dusters. You a were very lucky to meet the guy.

This is an awesome story. -- The OP started 16 months, ago. -- Thanks for sharing.

-
Back