I tell ya guys, it's awesome living next door to a retired fabricator/welder guy.

-

RSie

Idiot In Training
Reaction score
My neighbor, cutting pieces out of my Dart parts car. He had already zipped out the rear end for me. He's making yard/garden art out of the leftover pieces.. he wanted the center hump for a dragonfly body. He took the roof skin for the dragonfly wings :)

IMGP6142.jpg

That's his boy watching with the hose, and making sure **** doesn't go haywire. :)

Burning without goggles. Brilliant!
Agreed 100%.
I don't want to sound negative, but if he was a retired tradesman, he should know better and set an example.
FWIW, I am also a welder/fabricator by trade and can count on half the fingers on one hand how many times i did that, and that was before i went to trade school and knew better.
In my opinion, the guy is an idiot.
I met a lot of ''tradesmen'' in my day that would cut without goggles, weld without gloves, or even a proper helmet because they were ''tough'' and didn't need that ''wimpy stuff''.
Also, don't get me started on people torching apart and using good parts cars as ''yard, lawn, wall art''..............
(Yes, this picked off a scab).

I knew a guy that never used a welding helmet. Closed his eyes when striking an arc.
He was crazy though.

I knew a guy that never used a welding helmet. Closed his eyes when striking an arc.
He was crazy though.

That is crazy. Never understood why people don’t wear proper ppe. My last job consistent of fabricating and welding aftermarket suspension products, we even had a robot later on. Some days I’d run it. Even if you’re working with the robot you’d still have to wear a helmet as if you were the one welding. Spent the day Loading parts and working with the robot. Next day my eyes were killing me. I paid more attention next time. It turns out the robot produced such an arc that the light would reflect off of objects in the shop and flash your eyes that way.

For you guys losing your **** over him not wearing goggles, he was wearing a hood for most of this. He's just zipping out a spot he missed here. He's wearing gloves, and that jacket is heavy canvas type thing.
As for the Dart, I bought it for the front frame rail, inner fenders and torsion mount to fix my Cuda. I've stripped out anything that was remotely usable on it, including the rockers and posts that you see here (and the good parts of the floor). What he didn't take is going to the scrapyard... you can explain to my wife why I'm keeping this on the off chance some guy with a 4 dr. Dart might need a roof skin someday.
I don't appreciate a good friend of mine, that is helping me out for pieces of scrap, being called an idiot. This 'idiot' retired at 48. His house is paid off, has about 10 years of wages sitting in the bank, never used credit so he has no bills. He needs $200/month to pay his util bills... but sure, call him an idiot over one picture. This 'idiot' is going to make getting my Cuda on the road possible. By the time I got home from work today, he and his kid had finished cutting this, hauled what he didn't want to scrap.. and cleaned my driveway with a magnetic sweeper.

You will find few threads here where someone doesn't get on their "High Horse". Based on one photo they judged his character. I would Love to have a neighbor like that.:BangHead:

You will find few threads here where someone doesn't get on their "High Horse". Based on one photo they judged his character. I would Love to have a neighbor like that.:BangHead:
He's awesome. I told him about this thread, and the reply was priceless... "Meh, I have two eyes, I don't need them both to do this ****." :)

He's awesome. I told him about this thread, and the reply was priceless... "Meh, I have two eyes, I don't need them both to do this ****." :)
That's what i thought and even posted.
Too tough and manly to wear ppe.
He may be a helpful person to you, but professionally, he's still an idiot.
Well, good luck with your endeavors............

Oh i dont need my PPE to do this little job. Wham!
Allways quick to criticize on this site-------------------------------
I myself have never , ever , done anything stupid , or dangerous . NOT !!!

HYMMM, WONDER WHAT CAUSED ALL THESE SCARRES !

Allways quick to criticize on this site-------------------------------
I myself have never , ever , done anything stupid , or dangerous . NOT !!!

HYMMM, WONDER WHAT CAUSED ALL THESE SCARRES !

Don't ya know Bob..Some of these guys are the poster boy for perfection. I believe in Safety too but to look at one picture and call the guy an idiot. The only idiot here is the perfect poster looking in the mirror.

Send him my way but with his plasma cutter!!! What you need as a project now, with neighbor's help, IS an old 30'-50's Mopar hotrod!!!!!!!

Send him my way but with his plasma cutter!!! What you need as a project now, with neighbor's help, IS an old 30'-50's Mopar hotrod!!!!!!!
Not a plasma, plain old oxy/acetylene. Funny you should say that about the older Mopars.. really looking at a '55 Plymouth right now. Get away from the '67 to '73 year cars and it's much cheaper. That said, you're not getting me to part with my Cuda. :)

Don't ya know Bob..Some of these guys are the poster boy for perfection. I believe in Safety too but to look at one picture and call the guy an idiot. The only idiot here is the perfect poster looking in the mirror.
The same guys wear white coveralls. for some, it must be nice to be perfect.

Talked a little more to my neighbor, and no, he doesn't usually use goggles or a hood cutting with oxy/acetylene. Then he went on about UV vs. Infrared light, and what scale of protections are needed for various welding situations... my eyes glazed over after about 8 minutes. This guy is anything but an idiot. He also said 'that guy needs to get back in the closet so he can kiss his goggles some more'.

-
Back