I think my 727 is fried. Now I'm at a crossroads...

Fried 727 in a car you plan to convert to 4 speed. What would you do?

• Rebuild the 727 and run it until you're ready for the 4 speed conversion

• Do the conversion now and worry about the engine rebuild later

• Find a cliff, push the car over it, and never look back

Results are only viewable after voting.
-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well folks, I took the Cuda out for a nice little adventure today, and towards the end I started noticing a little bit of smoke coming from underneath the car while idling in parking lots. I had just replaced the oil pan yesterday and thought perhaps an oil leak.

Then a guy at a stop light was frantically trying to get my attention. He was pointing down as if to signal that I should look under my car. I looked and saw fluid puking out from the bellhousing. This has happened before, but it always stopped on its own very quickly. I had always thought it was because the transmission was over filled and the fluid was coming from the weep hole.

Well, I didn't even make it home before the smoke got worse and the transmission started slipping. I limped home and shut her down immediately.

Now I'm at a crossroads. The plan is to eventually convert the car to a 4 speed, and I already have the setup. But if I do that, won't I have to build the engine differently than it currently is, since it's an auto setup? I'm under the impression that manual transmissions call for different cams. Is that right? I do plan on rebuilding the engine, just not quite yet. I guess the other option is to pull the 727, rebuild it, and run it until I'm ready to do the 4 speed conversion.

When you replaced the pan, did you refill the transmission per the directions in the FSM or add all the fluid at once?

If added all at once, a lot of it will puke out the vent hole inside the bell.

And after puking all that fluid out, it would be too low to operate normally.

Why would you have to build the engine differently? You got me on that one.

When you replaced the pan, did you refill the transmission per the directions in the FSM or add all the fluid at once?

If added all at once, a lot of it will puke out the vent hole inside the bell.

And after puking all that fluid out, it would be too low to operate normally.
I should've clarified, I replaced the engine oil pan, not the transmission fluid pan. I thought perhaps I had a leak and some was dripping onto the exhaust.

Why would you have to build the engine differently? You got me on that one.
I honestly don't know. I've read here that when folks are planning their builds, manual vs automatic transmission is a consideration when choosing the cam.

I should've clarified, I replaced the engine oil pan, not the transmission fluid pan. I thought perhaps I had a leak and some was dripping onto the exhaust.

I honestly don't know. I've read here that when folks are planning their builds, manual vs automatic transmission is a consideration when choosing the cam.
I wouldn't sweat it.

No difference in build but there can be issues with the crank not being drilled for the pilot bearing, but there are ways around that so if you proceed with the manual install, you won't hit a "nope, got to put an auto back in" situation.

What is the engine now and is it rebuilt?

He replaces the Engine oil pan and the transmission crap's out because he says he limped home. Most be more to this story that we don't know.

No difference in build but there can be issues with the crank not being drilled for the pilot bearing, but there are ways around that so if you proceed with the manual install, you won't hit a "nope, got to put an auto back in" situation.

What is the engine now and is it rebuilt?
That makes me feel better about it.

The engine is a mild 440. I don’t know the build specs, and I’ve been wanting to rebuild it for some time now so that I’ll know exactly what it is and that it was done right. Or least I’ll know who to blame if something goes wrong.

He replaces the Engine oil pan and the transmission crap's out because he says he limped home. Most be more to this story that we don't know.
I don’t think the oil pan and transmission are related. I was just saying I thought the smoke may have been engine oil.

I was a mile from home, so yeah I limped home. In that mile, the transmission started slipping. Sorry, I’m not gonna get a tow truck for a 1/2 mile haul especially after the damage had already been done.

Well folks, I took the Cuda out for a nice little adventure today, and towards the end I started noticing a little bit of smoke coming from underneath the car while idling in parking lots. I had just replaced the oil pan yesterday and thought perhaps an oil leak.

Then a guy at a stop light was frantically trying to get my attention. He was pointing down as if to signal that I should look under my car. I looked and saw fluid puking out from the bellhousing. This has happened before, but it always stopped on its own very quickly. I had always thought it was because the transmission was over filled and the fluid was coming from the weep hole.

Well, I didn't even make it home before the smoke got worse and the transmission started slipping. I limped home and shut her down immediately.

Now I'm at a crossroads. The plan is to eventually convert the car to a 4 speed, and I already have the setup. But if I do that, won't I have to build the engine differently than it currently is, since it's an auto setup? I'm under the impression that manual transmissions call for different cams. Is that right? I do plan on rebuilding the engine, just not quite yet. I guess the other option is to pull the 727, rebuild it, and run it until I'm ready to do the 4 speed conversion.
TKX 5 speed conversion

I bet the transmission is ok. If you felt when it started slipping and babied it, fix the leak and see what happens.

Oh I definitely babied it. I was that a-hole driving 20 on a 4 lane…although way off to the right.

This is kind of a small community, so I bet most people passing me were just rolling their eyes wondering what I was up to this time.

Oh I definitely babied it. I was that a-hole driving 20 on a 4 lane…although way off to the right.

This is kind of a small community, so I bet most people passing me were just rolling their eyes wondering what I was up to this time.
The 727 is pretty tough. I say fix it and ride on.

Do the 4 spd, if it's in the plans anyway. As mentioned, crank drilled for the bushing(which it might be already).
That's if the 727 is toast.
Dads Ranchero did the exact same thing to me years ago. It was fine but freaked the fack outta me....

The 727 is pretty tough. I say fix it and ride on.
That’s kinda the direction I’m leaning, mostly due to time and money limitations.

I pulled apart the 904 in the Scamp, and it was surprisingly easy.
Do the 4 spd, if it's in the plans anyway. As mentioned, crank drilled for the bushing(which it might be already).
That's if the 727 is toast.
Dads Ranchero did the exact same thing to me years ago. It was fine but freaked the fack outta me....
What needed up being the problem?

No idea at all, this was 35 years ago. Told Dad about it and topped up the fluid, BUT if I remember correctly it was puking out the dip stick.
That’s kinda the direction I’m leaning, mostly due to time and money limitations.

I pulled apart the 904 in the Scamp, and it was surprisingly easy.

What needed up being the problem?

for low power applications the engine build doesn't really matter. I highly doubt that these engines were perfectly tuned for automatic with X gearing or 4 speed with Y gearing from the factory. They just found a comprise in parts that would work well across the board.
If you are building a race car and you are looking for those extra tenths in 1/4 mile time, then yes you should probably be building out your whole drivetrain at the same time.

I bet the transmission is ok. If you felt when it started slipping and babied it, fix the leak and see what happens.

Agreed.

Maybe blown front pump, seal? Pretty easy fix if so. Happened to me in the Duster. .

Good luck with the troubleshooting,
Pat

for low power applications the engine build doesn't really matter. I highly doubt that these engines were perfectly tuned for automatic with X gearing or 4 speed with Y gearing from the factory. They just found a comprise in parts that would work well across the board.
If you are building a race car and you are looking for those extra tenths in 1/4 mile time, then yes you should probably be building out your whole drivetrain at the same time.
After reading some of the comments in this thread, I think maybe what I was reading previously regarding cam choice may have been in the context of folks building race engines and I didn’t realize it.

You don't have to worry about a stall when you have a 4 spd. So you can run a hotter cam.

With a 4spd you don't get the same torque multiplication of an automatic's converter. So that can be addressed with cam and/or gearing(trans and/or rear axle) changes.
I think a big difference between the two options would be the carburetor and the distributor advance curve.
Of course, the previously mentioned pilot bushing situation will need to be addressed if you want to go with the manual trans.

-
Back