I think my 727 is fried. Now I'm at a crossroads...

Fried 727 in a car you plan to convert to 4 speed. What would you do?

• Rebuild the 727 and run it until you're ready for the 4 speed conversion

• Do the conversion now and worry about the engine rebuild later

• Find a cliff, push the car over it, and never look back

Results are only viewable after voting.
-
I like this guy's videos.

There's a local transmission guy who'll let me know if he has Red Eagles on Monday, until then I'll assemble the forward drum and get the shift kit going. I have a core 727 here, hopefully there's an accumulator spring in it.

There is some misinformation in that video. I haven't found a 727 video that I could recommend. They all overlook important issues and usually have misleading advice. He says things in that one that tell me that he is no 727 expert at all. He does make some nice videos, tho.. Get the smooth .061 Red Eagles. Yes probably a spring in the other 727; also get the lower forward pressure plate. And the thick plastic thrust washer can be used to tighten up endplay.

Awesome. Thanks so much for your help so far. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future.

I replaced the clutches in the forward drum, and I found out the reason they were able to fit four is that they are much thinner than the replacements I got. Wouldn't fit with four, but fits nicely with three.
p6fNVkoiT1yJNUudMHPbDQ.jpg
+K7ZaCAHRLq+EQdkFQoRKg.jpg

I don't know why I was so afraid of opening up the valve body, it's really not too bad if you're organized and clean. And obviously I'm not terribly organized or clean...
fullsizeoutput_f18.jpeg

Dammit, I thought they were all the same. That explains it! I'm such a dummy.

I brought the VB home to do the drilling and filing the kit says to do. Everything else seems pretty simple.

If the kit doesn't have the "mumbly peg" to reinstall the detent ball and spring, just go to Home Depot and find a box of 2" drywall screws. You can poke one out of the corner of the box and steal it.

The kit did include the mumbly peg, and I think I know why they call it that. I found myself mumbling curse words while I tried and tried to get the rooster comb installed and the ball shot across the shop. Finally I got it.

I assembled the drums and started to put the transmission back together, will finish tomorrow. Pulled an accumulator spring from a core 727 I have and cut down a piece of pipe to 5/8" for the blocker rod.

Sounds like you're getting sloppy. Did you put the pump into a vise and assemble the drums onto it and air check them? I air check every trans about three times. What is the clutch clearance in both drums?

Quite honestly I didn't think to put the pump into a vise and assemble the drums onto it, I thought people assembled them and installed them onto the output shaft. I forgot about the air check and measuring clutch clearance.

I think you're right, I'm getting sloppy. We have drill this morning, but I'll have some time afterwards to pull it apart and start over.

I like to be able to watch each clutch apply. When you witness that; then you'll really know what's going on; and have a much better idea of what clutch pack clearance is all about. And did you remember to check inside the direct drum for ringwear??

I like this guy's videos.

There's a local transmission guy who'll let me know if he has Red Eagles on Monday, until then I'll assemble the forward drum and get the shift kit going. I have a core 727 here, hopefully there's an accumulator spring in it.

I noticed towards the end of this video, the guy mentions he prefers a modified later style (large rod) front servo. I've heard the earlier (small rod) style was better. Which one do you prefer @CudaFactHackJob ?

I use whatever is in there. There are a lot more other details that need attentiveness than that servo rod. Clutch clearance, ring wear surfaces, end play, and pressure tests. My goal is to make sure that transmissions don't have to be r&r'd more than once. That guy is BS. He's a great actor, but anybody who knows 727's can tell that he is only repeating what somebody else told him; very little first hand knowledge.

That guy is BS. He's a great actor, but anybody who knows 727's can tell that he is only repeating what somebody else told him; very little first hand knowledge.
Can you give us an example of what he's saying that is BS. You may know, but us dumbasses are still in the dark. Providing examples is much better than simply saying the guy is BS.

Better for who? Me? I don't have time to watch all those bs videos on youtube just to sort thru all the baloney and critique it step by step. My warning is to take it with a grain of salt. You can't rely on what he says.

Not true at all. 5% is good info. I'm part of the 5%. I can't devote too much time to the other 95% and still eat, sleep and breathe..

The problem with your invitation to debate the video, is that I would state reasons, while you would only state excuses; and everybody knows that nobody ever runs out of excuses.

The problem with your invitation to debate the video, is that I would state reasons, while you would only state excuses; and everybody knows that nobody ever runs out of excuses.

I get what you're saying, and I have no dog in the fight. My knowledge of transmissions is minimal. That's why I'm here - to learn. But how are people on this site going to learn the right way of doing something if all you're going to do is say a video is BS, without saying why it's BS?

At the very least, do you know of a video or book that you can recommend that outlines the correct steps of building a performance 727TF? Carl Munroe's and Tom Hand's books come to mind, but even they recommend several things the guy in the video above recommends.

I'm not here to teach people how to rebuild transmissions. I'm here to address individual problems associated with their particular build. As I have stated many times before on multiple threads; I do not know of any book or video that I can recommend that outlines the correct steps of building a performance 727. Only folks who can't do it think it's simple. All the books and videos are good for showing you how to take one apart and reassemble it. You're not going to read some books or watch some videos and be able to rebuild one and be sure that you won't have problems with it. That's proven every day on here. My goal is to make sure that it doesn't have to come out again, so I'll ask posters to provide pics and measurements in order to avoid that.

-
Back