I think my doors are two different years...

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
I noticed (AFTER having everything painted, of course) that the doors for my '72 Swinger seem to have come from two different years (or at least different trim packages). Neither is the original that came with the body.

The right side door has a row of five vertical holes on the outside, at the base of the window. The left door does not. That's going to be fun to fill and repaint...

More importantly, I just made new vapor barriers from a handy sheet of 4 mil plastic, glued them to the doors with butyl rubber caulk, popped the left panel on, no problems. The right side, however, doesn't have any holes along the top of the panel for the clips to enter! They're definitely not just obstructed with foam tape/paint/etc. but not drilled at all. The bottom and side clip holes are all in the proper locations.
:wtf:
I can and will drill four 9/32 holes in the right places, but just scratching my head as to why those holes weren't punched at the factory. With the outside trim holes being different, I figure either it's not a '72 door or it's from a different trim level. Any thoughts?

A wise body man told me a long time ago that, "It don't matter if both sides of the car look the same." I said, "But what if someone notices that both sides are different". He said, "Nobody can see both sides at the same time, so they'll never see a difference." :lol:treblig

Without a picture I'm assuming that your five vertical holes are for a trim piece that holds the top of the door panel.

Could be chrome belt molding holes if they're on the horizontal area of the door outside the window.

Could be chrome belt molding holes if they're on the horizontal area of the door outside the window.
Most 68 up Dart hardtop doors have a stainless belt molding at top of door, that is what the holes are for. If the one door doesn't have the outside trim holes it is most likely a 67 Door.
Earlier doors have different locations for lock button. 73-76 doors are completely different on the inside of door, exterior dimensions the same.

I had a 71 VL Dart without the belt moldings

100 (9).JPG

The right side, however, doesn't have any holes along the top of the panel for the clips to enter!

^^^
The door with the holes for the top of the interior panel clips is a 72 Door, the other door with out the panel clips is a 71 and earlier door

Thanks...
I will drill the holes for the panel clips, then it's close enough to a 72 door :)

(The connector to the key lock on this door was different too, instead of the round rod on the '72 it has a flat dog-leg link. I just had to improvise a small shoulder bolt to connect it without any other mods or parts replacement).

Interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion. Can the clips be removed from the cardboard panel without damaging it?

One possible problem though - the trim panel would need to be "stuck" directly to the door, so that area would not be protected by the vapor barrier.

I plan to coat the edges of the holes to prevent rust, if I do drill them.

Where in MO are you? :)

Interesting idea, thanks for the suggestion. Can the clips be removed from the cardboard panel without damaging it?

One possible problem though - the trim panel would need to be "stuck" directly to the door, so that area would not be protected by the vapor barrier.

I plan to coat the edges of the holes to prevent rust, if I do drill them.

Where in MO are you? :)
Sorry I thought we were talking about the chrome belt moulding trim on top outside of the door for the 3m tape idea.

I see. I think this car has way too much chrome trim to begin with... it definitely doesn't need another piece on the door. Rather than add trim to the door without holes, I plan to fill the holes on this door and have the area repainted. Someday!

-
Back