I think my sons Dart is mad at him. You ever feel this way about your vehicles?

-

340doc

Reaction score
My son has a 70 Dart that's his daily, school, work etc. It has a smooth running slant six. The car has given us very little trouble. About 10 days ago a lady backed into the front end, damaging the bumper and lower valance. Since then it seems the car has been vengeful! Monday, I broke a wheel stud pulling the wheel. Tuesday, he's coming home from school and the old alternator belt broke. Wednesday we joked because nothing happened. Thursday,(today) he's leaving home for school and the car wont stay running. He calls me and I go by. Get in and it starts and runs fine. He asks me "Why is this all happening to me?" I tell him don't you know when your down that's when they kick you! Share your experiences.

My son has a 70 Dart that's his daily, school, work etc. It has a smooth running slant six. The car has given us very little trouble. About 10 days ago a lady backed into the front end, damaging the bumper and lower valance. Since then it seems the car has been vengeful! Monday, I broke a wheel stud pulling the wheel. Tuesday, he's coming home from school and the old alternator belt broke. Wednesday we joked because nothing happened. Thursday,(today) he's leaving home for school and the car wont stay running. He calls me and I go by. Get in and it starts and runs fine. He asks me "Why is this all happening to me?" I tell him don't you know when your down that's when they kick you! Share your experiences.

I'm generally a strictly science based thinker, but still I totally believe these cars can get pissed off about some things.
It doesn't make sense, but it sure seems that way.

I could swear that from the first day I brought my Dart home it was testing me to find out if I was worth having it.
Stupid little things that actually should not happen, happened.
Then when it started getting some attention and some new parts it straightened right up and has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.
In fact it has rescued every other car and truck in my family from one situation or another.

Broken timing belts, crankshaft position sensors, flat tires, all rescued by the Dart at one time or another.
Also absolutely flawless multi thousand mile out of state trips
The last time it didn't start and run every single day was about four years ago, so it gets treats here and there to keep it happy.
Sometimes a little dress up accessory, or even like recently when it got a brand new recurved and advance modded distributor even though it ran fine with the old one.
I must admit I even thank it when it comes through for me, or even for someone that needs it's help.:D

I realize it sounds stupid, but I also can't ignore the results of paying it attention even if it's just a spoken out loud thank you.

I talk to almost every car.
Customer thought i was nuts yesterday, fighting with a stuck wheel and i said lego my eggo!!:lol:
When i bought a second plow truck, the first one got a flat the next day ...

I like to think I treat our vehicles good, keep them clean and everything in order. I've already ordered new parts for his Dart. maybe it will feel better when they get here. I do thank my vehicles when they get me home safe. It sure seems like they know what's going on sometime. Maybe there's a little bit of Herbie in them!

While I should not believe this, I totally do. Some days everything goes fine, other days nothing goes right. I am sure its our perception and our own mind set, but it absolutely seems like the vehicles have a mind of their own. If you have worked on cars for any length of time, you will have had to conduct some repair or mod that should not be difficult but turns into a complete debacle; broken bolts, bolts not threading (in or out), surfaces not sealing and then there is the unfathomable which is things like when you unbolt something and despite not having any mechanical connection will just not come off. Then when you finally do get it off (usually by damaging or destroying it) there isn't any visible reason it should not have come off in the first place...

And it's not just Mopars.
When I got married (a million years ago) I was driving a '64 Olds Cutlass. It always ran perfect - except when I was driving to the church to get married. It stalled on me several times and just wasn't running right.
After the ceremony it ran perfect. I always maintained it was just jealous.

-
Back