I wanna see some flat black dusters or rat rod dusters

-

SOUPENE

Reaction score
WAS THINKING OF RATTLE CANNING MY DUSTER FLAT BLACK BUT I WANT TO SEE WHAT IT COULD LOOK LIKE BEFORE I DO BUT I CANT FIND ANY PICKS OF ANY SO IF ANY YOU GUYS HAVE SOME PICS IT WOULD HELP

I know this isn't your question, but if you are really going to do that, why rattle can it? It won't stay on, it will be streaky, unless you're going for the craptacular look, that is. If you're going to do it, just spend a little more, scuff your paint, spray the flat with a gun, then spray on a matte clear to protect it.

Sorry, I don't have a pic. I like rat rods though, and now I'm curious to see it myself. Some primer is black, so if someone has a pic of their Duster in black primer, it would be just as good.

In your avatar your paint looks good... if that's the case why sacrifice good paint for a crappy rattle can job?

For the record, I have seen a flat black duster and it looked crappy. Probably like someone sprayed it with a rattle can!

here are a couple pictures of my Duster taken around 2003. This was when I stripped the car down to bare metal and rattle can sprayed it myself.

Attachments

• primerduster1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,088
  • primerduster2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,080
  • primerduster3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,076
Im on a $50 doller budget ha ha and im kinda wanting to go for the rat rod look.

You won't get the sandpaper to strip it for that, but you could at least scuff it before spraying with the cans if you're gonna do it, and stay within that nobudget.

in your avatar your paint looks good... If that's the case why sacrifice good paint for a crappy rattle can job?

For the record, i have seen a flat black duster and it looked crappy. Probably like someone sprayed it with a rattle can!
my car is currently in gray primer and i hate it every time i Touch it it leaves marks and i kinda like the whole rat rod look and i have a whopping $50 bucks to spend on primer.

here is a car that an ex friend of mine owned

Attachments

• DCP_3476.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,142
  • DCP_3477.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,106
  • DCP_3478.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,106
Duplicolor, but I did strip off the old finish with aircraft stripper and palm sanded and hand sanded all the body panels.

you won't get the sandpaper to strip it for that, but you could at least scuff it before spraying with the cans if you're gonna do it, and stay within that nobudget.
i have the paper already i guess i just wanna do something with it till i can afford to get it painted the way i want.

my car is currently in gray primer and i hate it every time i youch it it leaves marks and i kinda like the whole rat rod look and i have a whopping $50 bucks to spend on primer.

I hope you meant paint. If you put primer on as a top coat (over other primer), then drive it, you're probably asking for trouble. Primer absorbs moisture, so it'll rust out real quick, the speed depending on what's under the primer. Then if you ever do want to refinish the right way, you'll have to start over from scratch (or worse). Flat paint may have a similar issue, I'm not sure.

EDIT: I just saw, you're in CA. Maybe it won't be so bad out there. Still not good, but you're way better off in CA!!! LOL, I tend to think WI/Midwest issues!

duplicolor, but i did strip off the old finish with aircraft stripper and palm sanded and hand sanded all the body panels.
oh ok thanks well she's in poly primer right now and i already wet sanded it or blocked it about two months ago. I just dont care for gray primer any more too hard to keep clean

i hope you meant paint. If you put primer on as a top coat (over other primer), then drive it, you're probably asking for trouble. Primer absorbs moisture, so it'll rust out real quick, the speed depending on what's under the primer. Then if you ever do want to refinish the right way, you'll have to start over from scratch (or worse). Flat paint may have a similar issue, i'm not sure.

Edit: I just saw, you're in ca. Maybe it won't be so bad out there. Still not good, but you're way better off in ca!!! Lol, i tend to think wi/midwest issues!
ahhh i see ha ha i mean she's garage kept and i almost never drive in the rain if i can avoid it..plan on painting this spring or summer but for now wanna go for the batman look 8)

Before and After pics

Attachments

• primerduster1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • duster2010.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,062
I am actually painting my 71' Duster a black satin look with a paint called John Deere "Blitz Black". I would be happy to show you the pictures as soon as I'm finished sometime in the next few weeks.

flat gray not quite black

Attachments

• car stuff 006.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 008.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,016
So when it comes time to paint the car for real, what are you going to do? You probably shouldn't put your new good paint over top of this rattle can paint due to possible chemical incompatibility or poor adhesion. So, are you going to then strip the car down again? Or take a (bad) chance? Just wondering, because unless you have a plan (like you were going to strip the car down again anyway), this may cost you more than you think in the long run!

The Blitz Black can give a great finish, costs very little, and is reportedly very durable.

For those on an ULTRA budget, forget rattle cans. Get a couple quarts of Rustoleum flat black paint ($8.00/quart), and spray it through a gun.

I know with my current school and work commitments, I'm not going to have time to properly prep and paint my car for at least two more years. I was thinking of putting the horizontal surfaces (no paint left) in cheapo primer, and blitz blacking the car. I would do it proper, though, masking and removing trim. Then add a gloss black stripe. I think that would be pretty cool. Between the Blitz Black, and the stripe, I'd be into it for well under $200.00. Yes, it would all have to be stripped down to metal again before I can apply a proper finish, but hey, it's extra gun time, so the final paint job should come out even better.

Not everybody has $5000 to put in to a paint job, or the skill to paint, and at the race track I've seen 30000 dollar cars be put on their trailer by cars in primer. I think young guys or gals or people on low budgets should make their car safe before paint. I sold some parts to a young man covered in tats, studs in his face and a mohawk, he has a 70 dart primer black red wheels and flames, not my thing, but at least he is doing all his own work and enjoying his car and its a mopar.

-
Back