I Wanna Talk About Barracudas

-
I also have a well loaded 67 Formula S fastback...

273 4 bbl, 904 auto, console, factory tach, A/C, power steering, power brakes, Kelsey Hayes 4 caliper front brakes, 8 3/4" with 3.23 sure grip, hood mounted turn signals, and bumper guards, California emissions....
I have a 67, and I’m usually well loaded. Can I play at your house?

719AA43E-F1D2-4676-9642-CB5C42B0AB29.jpeg

Here’s my ‘68

The 68 Barracuda has been my favorite car since I was 16 years old. I was wanting to change it around a bit.
Make a feature or two something Chrysler could have done.
The grill is my take on that. I fit in the grill and head light surrounds from a ‘67 Coronet. The outer head lamps are the low and high beams. The driver side inside lamp is one of those flame throwers bulbs. The passenger side inside housing is a cold air intake for the motor. I fabricated-shaped the surrounds that trim out the front grill.
I have all of the OE bezels and grill work. Nothing on the car itself was modified to install the new pieces. So I could easily swap it back to stock.
The car is a summer time driver and I have also drag raced the car. This past summer I ran the 68 B in two Autocross events and plan to do more of that.

View attachment 1716012802

View attachment 1716012803
Interesting treatment. It really makes sense from an aerodynamic standpoint, so if Chrysler had had a factory Trans Am team in 68-69, it's possible they would have come up with something like this...

A Body Fastback Barracuda's are the best. I like them all and have had all but a 65 and 69. With everything from a 170 to 383, 4 speed to automatic trans, they are a blast to drive and comfortable enough to run all day long at high speed. Not enough difference to matter between a 67 and 68. My 68 has no marker lights, since I filled them.

67 have chrome interior treatment on the knobs and metal trim.
68 and 69 are different, like a brushed metal.

Interesting treatment. It really makes sense from an aerodynamic standpoint, so if Chrysler had had a factory Trans Am team in 68-69, it's possible they would have come up with something like this...
And you hit on my original intent, which was to make a 68 Barracuda version of a 1968 Charger 500. The flush rear glass is already in place, I was wanting to move the grill work forward like the Charger 500. It does not show in the photos, but the air that hits the front grill is all ducted. It either is directed through the radiator or is blocked to send the air around the car. I would love to have incorporated the hidden head lights from a 67 Charger, but that was not in the budget. Look close at the front view and the parking light - turn signals can be seen behind the grill work. I used the round 68 Barracuda side marker lights. They are mounted on the dam that splits the air to either through the radiator or around the car. The air that does not go through the radiator is blocked right behind the grills-head light bezels.

78BE0FCB-C12D-44C5-A37C-CC06556358B0.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back