I want to strangle my kid. (No, not really strangle.. but a payback is in order!)

-
I don’t have a honey do list, I do all of the maintenance around the house without being asked. She points out something she sees, I put it on my list of stuff to fix. Most times it’s at least one trip somewhere to get some new parts for something somebody broke! Most things I do are not even on the brides radar. She broke the handle on the screen door over the winter when the bottom of the door froze to the deck, we got a new entry door and screen door. She said “why didn’t you just change the handle”? Because they were both trashed, and it was time!

As for my kids, they listen, and fear me, not because I’ve ever hit or threatened them, it’s because they don’t want to disappoint me. And they don’t disappoint me very often, but the fear that I will take an action against them as stated above is enough for them to at least think before they act, most of the time! Last time the boy was disrespecting his mom, he rode the bus, which means getting up an hour earlier, and riding the bus for 45 minutes. That lasted one day, and hasn’t said a disrespectful thing to her since! I carry through with my “punishments” which I alway try to fit the “crime”!

I'm not sure how the people who say " my kids fear me" or " get a switch" truly grew up.

I can tell you without a doubt that I clearly remember the day when all that stopped.

It took over 20 years before I was on speaking terms with my father and to this day my stepfather wont look me in the eye.

There comes a day when you realize that your stronger than they are and wont take anymore ****.

That is not a good day for a family.

So maybe you can switch your kids and maybe it won't destroy your family and make life super awkward for ever but maybe some day it will.

Best of luck to you with your son. It cant be easy.

Last edited:
My parents used to discipline me by hitting me with a camera....

I still have flash backs....

So, all the **** that needs to be done, that she thinks she can't do, is for a guy that can't get it right the first time? I'd love to hear your wife's input on that.
The list is for men that don't know what needs to be done. My wife will tell you it's already done.
The same goes for my son's. I treat my son's with respect, they return it. just like my recruits did at MCRD.

If you think I never disciplined this kid, and he had consequences to his actions, think again. A good swift kick in the *** was never not an option that didn't happen from time to time.

What I'm saying is that you don't "get even" with your kids.That's 5th grade stuff. Your supposed to Love ,nurture and guide them.For the short time I had him in my life my Dad never once laid a hand on me but I knew in no uncertain terms if I pushed it that could be one of the "consequences" of my actions.I raised my 3 Sons the same way and we all Love and respect each other as I did my Dad.

The boy in question was diagnosed young with ADHD, and ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder)

I WHOLE HEARTEDLY DISAGREE.
Every child defies. It’s in their genetic makeup to push and find boundaries.

Every teenager opposes their parents, it is the biology of leaving the nest (shelter and patience of the parents).

Using a label as an excuse for bad behavior handicaps your kid for his future, feeling shitty and pissed off, only to take out on a coworker (and get fired) or spouse and get divorced.
Adults need to learn to keep their mouths shut because ALL OF US have something impolite to say to people that cross us, silence equals class 9 times out of ten.

And don’t think I am high and mighty, I’m blue collar thru and thru.

If you disrespected a woman like my grandmother, she would turn your head sideways with her 70 year old slap across the face. Ask me about a 22 year old man you know getting whip lash.

Boundaries and a tiny warning, not playing games. Immediate consequences, because the young don’t correlate (action reaction) unless it’s philosophy.

That’s YOUR WIFE. You loved her before him, and will continue long after he moves out. He crossed the line IN YOUR HOUSE.
He lives under your rules and guidance.

If you are not too strict with him now, sit him down and lay down the boundaries, hint he loses FOOTBALL if he does it again, because you are not playing.

Best wishes and GOD bless

Drama! If ya wanna get things done right and quick, bash him over the head with a bat. Knock him out, break every bone that is easy to get to with the bat and let him wake up to a mirror in his mangled face.

Tell him that’s step one.

While he is tied up in the chair, gag him. Build a coffin in front of him. Use the wife’s tap measure to get dimensions for an exact fit, EXCEPT..... At the feet where you add approximately 2 cubic feet.

This is where you point at it and tell him this is where the cement goes to keep your dumb *** at the bottom of NYC harbor.

Call me when the need comes up.

Stop bitchen on the net.

You should have whipped his *** earlier and taught him respect from jump street. You now reap what you have .... ahhhhh, never mind.
Have fun with the jerk.

Old age and wisdom can I overcome youths strength and I’ll temper.

I NEVER have anything even remotely close to this issue happen. I don’t tell my son to take out the garbage, cut the grass, clean his room, wash the dishes, clean his bathroom, never have to say mind your manors, be polite, as permission, say thanks, give thanks, help others, never, NEVER ever talks back! NEVER!

Why?

Raised right!
He does it on his own WITHOUT being told.

So, the weather forecast for today looked beautiful, so I was thinking 'Great! I can get out in the garage and get busy!'
I get up early, get some work done in the quiet hours before the wife and kid get up.
The 16yr old boy comes downstairs, had a little chat with him how his high school dance went the night before (which I went way out of my way to help him get ready for.. but that's a different story!).
The wife wakes up, and before she can get a sip of coffee down, the kids gets into a huge argument with her, by being a jerk. It ends with the wife saying 'great, now I'm gonna be crabby all day! Then he toodles off to work for 9 hours... thanks man!
So. I break out the honey-do list. Got a ton of stuff done.. I got her to smile after replacing the kitchen faucet, which has been on the list for awhile.. and I made it out to the garage! Yay!

Now, to figure a payback.. I can't let him get away with this no repercussions. I'm open to suggestions...

Oh by the way, I am not saying those two labels are not real. Every friend or co-worker that knows me will attest to my ADHD.

But the label isn’t an excuse. For eternal years parents have dealt with these problems, and often needed success to survive-they did it without drugs (I applaud your approach) and often enough successfully with good old fashion discipline.
It took all my will to focus on WMD’s during front end work.

Looks like you have a pretty good spectrum of options, (hopefully none of them including cement). Raised 3 boys, all of them needed different things at different times. Mostly just a rudder and some perimeters, and to know the rents cared. This is kinda a tricky transition discovering freedoms without getting into trouble, but it sounds like you are doing fine.

717970D8-20C0-4214-AC5D-389F12CDFEB0.jpeg
Looks like you have a pretty good spectrum of options, (hopefully none of them including cement). Raised 3 boys, all of them needed different things at different times. Mostly just a rudder and some perimeters, and to know the rents cared. This is kinda a tricky transition discovering freedoms without getting into trouble, but it sounds like you are doing fine.
The cement SHOW CASED is ‘THE RECKONING.’

This post was meant to be taken in a light hearted manner... boy, did it take some dark turns.
While I may not agree with some of the viewpoints expressed, I think they were made with the best of intentions: to help me... And I do appreciate that.
Even though I may not agree, they have given me food for thought.

You guys that grew up abused... those are heart wrenching. I can't imagine growing up that way. It gives me hope, by hearing your stories that you recognize how messed up that is, and break that cycle.

I'd like to comment on a few points:

My boy is not some out of control monster.
He does dumb things from time to time, like all kids do.
This last winter, his schedule: I roll him out of bed at 5:15. He's off to school by 7:20. Gets out of school, head to the hockey rink (usually with a gaggle of younger kids in his car that don't have licenses yet) for 2 hours of practice. Showers at the rink, throws on his work clothes, and off to work until 10 or so. Comes home, grabs a bite, crashes out. Do it again the next day.
He missed his first hockey practice and game, in 10 years of playing this last year. And that was because we wouldn't let him go with a 102 temp. he plays hurt, he plays sick, by his own choice.
He also keeps his grades... no, he's not an 'A student'. I don't put much stock in grades..but he knows he needs to graduate, and he's on track.

He has his issues to deal with. And we deal with, and help him with those. He's come a long, long way.

I'm proud of this kid.
And I love him dearly.
And he knows that.

As far as me not 'sticking up' for my wife, she made it plain long ago that she does NOT appreciate that. I tried a few times and wound up with a redheaded wife more pissed at me than at him. That's not a fun place to be.. and I understand why she feels that way, and respect that.

To the whole 'honey-do list' thing: No, my wife does not make me out a chore list like I'm a fourth-grader. I call it a 'honey-do list' in fun. Usually, there is no physical list... other than in my head. Sometimes, I do write the stuff out I'm going to do that day, and leave it on the table, just so the wife knows why there's all that noise in the basement, or why there's no hot water. When I do that, she clears the way out for me ahead of time.. like pulling out all of the stuff under the sink yesterday, having towels ready, etc.

95% of the time, our house is filled with laughter. It's great.. we're doing good. Money could be better, but who can't say that?

Now, where did I leave my old baseball bat?

Again, I appreciate all of your posts.
Thank you all :)

You are an idiot. For the most part I believe the OP started this thread with a good bit of sarcasm. In General Discussion forum. Go get fuckin neutered or spayed.....whichever you are to spare the world of any more of your recessive genes. 2 posts and I KNOW you are an idiot. Pick another forum.
Sorry for the rant OP, I agree thread went dark wow. Cement shoes for a kid? WTF?
Why don't you adults grow up? First off this is a FOR A BODYS ONLY forums. Not a how to fix my stupid parenting. Bottom line ADHD is a fake diagnostic for a stupid parent, not the kid. There was none of this stupid **** when we were young. It's only a excuse to let a kid get away with ****. If they have school functions you can receive the school messages and relay them. Thought you said he had a job, let him pay for his own phone. The parents have ADHD so start taking your meds.

Well I be pretty happy! I did not want to be the life of the party. If you want to post this personal **** do it on face book. This is a classic car forum, not a HOW TO RAISE YOUR KID forum. Your the dude that screwed up, and if you would reread you own post you would know that. My kids are grown up, with no meds but I did own a switch and it worked. Be firm and stop making excuses.

You are an idiot. For the most part I believe the OP started this thread with a good bit of sarcasm. In General Discussion forum. Go get fuckin neutered or spayed.....whichever you are to spare the world of any more of your recessive genes. 2 posts and I KNOW you are an idiot. Pick another forum.
Sorry for the rant OP, I agree thread went dark wow. Cement shoes for a kid? WTF?
While I do agree with you.. I have to pump the brakes a bit on this. He's probably a new guy, that saw this on the home page not realizing there are different forums... the home page posts new stuff. That said, he didn't have to be a dick, whatever he saw.

And, I think.. think, that post was made in jest. I hope so, as he's one of the guys that I look for as an authority on this forum. By the way, you are too :)

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it. I hope the "cement" was in jest too. The new guy should get a feel for the room(50,000+ members) before opening his tap.
Thanks again, I enjoy reading your posts! Your doing good Dad!
And, I think.. think, that post was made in jest. I hope so, as he's one of the guys that I look for as an authority on this forum. By the way, you are too :)

-
Back