I was "318", when 318 wasn't cool......

-
"35 years of being shunned, uninvited all due to my car having a 318. And now, just this morning, I was offered 5 digits for my username rights on this site.... ":rolleyes:

:lol::lol:
You mean 100.00 LOL yeah you should sell, and come back with 318Will run with a capital "W" LOL!

Yeah UTG is ok but correct me if I wrong didn't he "speculate" 10s with that B body and a 318? even in 1/8 mile that's slow IMO. I've had B bodies and I wouldn't go no less than a 383 in one of them.
10's in the 1/4. If he gets there, then awesome~ I'm cheering for him, and why not? Saved a 4 door b-body from the yard, slapped in a 4-speed behind a.... a... subscriber voted 318 !!!!!

P.S. - my B-body just ran 10.16 in the 1/8 on Saturday :)

Thought Chrysler bought the slant 6 design from General Motors. I could be wrong. But thought I read that somewhere.

The Slant-6 was a clean-sheet design, fully in-house at Chrysler. GM had utterly zero to do with it at any stage. Also, the moon landing actually happened on the moon and not on a Hollywood set, water is wet, the 2020 US Presidential election wasn't stolen, and basset hounds got long ears.

Last edited:
When I was in auto tech school the instructor claimed the small block Mopar was a cheap imitation of a small block Chevy. I didn't believe it though not after i tore down one of each and went through them. Firing order is the same that's about it. he was a Chevy douche nozzle...

When I was in auto tech school the instructor claimed the small block Mopar was a cheap imitation of a small block Chevy. I didn't believe it though not after i tore down one of each and went through them. Firing order is the same that's about it. he was a Chevy douche nozzle...
When I was in vocational automotive services, my '72 Demon with a 318 wasn't cool till it beat another kids Z28, the son of a machinist that specialized in performance and built some fast drag cars, then I was COOL... LOL :D :D

P.S. - I have a 318 on the stand..... I'll trade even up for your good running 408 - 426 stroker if you'd like to hop on the ban wagg'n and be ......
COOL....

:lol:

I've posted a dozen times that my stock 2 barrel 80,000 mile 66 poly 318 beat MANY freshly rebuilt gm 350s back in the 80's.

...and even though most of those race losers tried to tell me I had a big block because of the wide top end and odd valve covers (many even pointed to the Coronet "440" emblem), and that was why I won, it was still pretty darn cool.

10's in the 1/4. If he gets there, then awesome~ I'm cheering for him, and why not? Saved a 4 door b-body from the yard, slapped in a 4-speed behind a.... a... subscriber voted 318 !!!!!

P.S. - my B-body just ran 10.16 in the 1/8 on Saturday :)
I am loosely guessing here that 10s in the 1/8 is like 15s in the 1/4...which is probably where a 318 in a B body would be with a stock cam and 2 bbl, I'd say 15:70s and I am guessing from having owned a 69 Coronet 500 with a 318 2 bbl.

I suppose my point is, UTG will dock around and Bottle rocket it will be good entertainment for those not in the know, but he'll end up performing about the same as the 318 did when new/stock in the early 70s. He'd have to dump a boatload of $$$ in it to get anything more out of it, and he's about low buck fun so yeah...

Last edited:
I am loosely guessing here that 10s in the 1/8 is like 15s in the 1/4...which is probably where a 318 in a B body would be with a stock cam and 2 bbl, I'd say 15:70s and I am guessing from having owned a 69 Coronet 500 with a 318 2 bbl.

I suppose my point is, UTG will dock around and Bottle rocket it will be good entertainment for those not in the know, but he'll end up performing about the same as the 318 did when new/stock in the early 70s. He'd have to dump a boatload of $$$ in it to get anything more out of it, and he's about low buck fun so yeah...
LOL... stick around me a little more just so you'll understand... My "B-body" is a B250 Van with a 5.9 :D

Oh, UTG has already gone high 8's in the 1/8, and he should be faster now. His plan is to go low 8's and then hit it with a 300 shot. A 10.99 once (in the 1/4) before it explodes and he's accomplished his mission.

My brother used to run around with a guy who had a 318 in a duster in high school. He'd run around roasting treefiddies all day long.

LOL... stick around me a little more just so you'll understand... My "B-body" is a B250 Van with a 5.9 :D

Oh, UTG has already gone high 8's in the 1/8, and he should be faster now. His plan is to go low 8's and then hit it with a 300 shot. A 10.99 once (in the 1/4) before it explodes and he's accomplished his mission.

I can see him melting it down with nitrous then laughing about it on camera LOL! :) Uncle Tony does look like he's having fun at all times...

uh..what's a "tree fiddle...?" :)

I can see him melting it down with nitrous then laughing about it on camera LOL! :) Uncle Tony does look like he's having fun at all times...
He plans on at least 2 or 3 mule motors to find out what works and what doesn't. It will be fun to see what he does at 318 fest.

He plans on at least 2 or 3 mule motors to find out what works and what doesn't. It will be fun to see what he does at 318 fest.
I was in one of his live streams, I posted that he should host an event of just street car racing because street outlaws is nothing but big buck racecars on the street. His reply was "yeah like I have time to do that..." :) point is, it would be neat to see people racing ,say 318's in a bracket setting where everything was along the same lines horsepower wise. You know have some rules for mods but basically low buck street stuff...

I was in one of his live streams, I posted that he should host an event of just street car racing because street outlaws is nothing but big buck racecars on the street. His reply was "yeah like I have time to do that..." :) point is, it would be neat to see people racing ,say 318's in a bracket setting where everything was along the same lines horsepower wise. You know have some rules for mods but basically low buck street stuff...
That's kind of what the "318 Fest" will be. Let me remind you, in the late 80's there'd never be a 318 Fest. I was 318, when 318 wasnt' cool :D LOL. Any kind of street race for low dollar builds turns big dollar cars out, just the nature of the sport. Look what happen to FAST class. So many cheaters that they just went with stock appearing.... while they race full roller stroker motors. Factory appearing RR running 9's in the 1/4.. hmmmmm LOL

I beat plenty of 350s in the 80s with my 70 Dart GT, running a .030 over 318 with j heads and cast iron 340 intake, thermoquad and stock cam. I also blew up several 7.25 diffs with that car, but the 904 trans was rock solid. That was a really fun car, almost wish I still had it.

I watched UTG video on the "most misunderstood engine"(318) I suppose he is on target with what hes saying, but its alot of mods to get a 318 to do what a 340 does, at one point he's talking about putting 360 valves into a 318 head and egging out the ports to get them flowing, then he puts a 318 head next to a 360, and you can see the casting for the intake ports on the 360 head is bigger. I can see someone grinding through a 318 intake runner and patching it with JB weld LOL! I dunno, id have to be really bored and want to grind on something for a few days..must be nice to have that time , nah..I ll go with the bigger stuff the 340-360. Why try and make something that isnt alredy cast big enough into something else? why not mill the 360 heads if it caused compression issues ion a 318,better yet buy aftermarket heads. I stuil think UTG will be the cause of 318 prices going up...it may double the prices of the 340 after someone gets into a 318 and realizes"wait, I want a 340..." :) Uncle Tony sometimes lets his imagination get away with him, 318s traditionally are cheap, and he says it in the video, dumping a bunch of money and effort into them isn't what they are about.

Last edited:
I don't think there was a 350 poly. The 350 in 1957 was the first size of the big block and was one year only then went to 361 cubes! Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. By the way I was wrong once but I just can't remember when!

-
Back