I would like to brag on my Dodge Bros. rear hub puller

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I had a lot of trouble removing the rear wheels from the old, rusty square taper rear axles on my '22 Dodge Bros. tourer. I looked everywhere for a Dodge Bros. hub puller, but couldn't find one. The center of the hub is threaded 2-7/16" x 16 TPI.

I finally heard about George McMurtry* and ordered one of his custom-made hub pullers. (He makes hub pullers for many other makes, too.) I am very happy with it. George cuts the puller out of a single block of steel, it is really a work of art, and the stuck hubs came off easily with it. It incorporates a couple of really nice features to make it easier to use: the large bolt is to expand the puller to make it easier to install, and the small bolt is to clamp it down tight on the hub's threads before pulling.

It is definitely the pièce de résistance of my puller collection!

*George McMurtry, P.O. Box 112, Bayard, Nebraska 69334; (308) 586-1930.

puller1.jpg

puller2.jpg

Paint it! Hate to see that rust up....Interesting 2 bolt operation. I guess the first 1/4" of the course thread is re-tapped fine?

I made one for a 27 studebaker.
If i recall it was 2-3/8-20.
First time i ever cut threads. Took about 10 hours on my 1947 south bend lathe. Pusher i threaded to fit the stem from my ball joint press.
Did the job,and when the car left i gave it to the customer. That was Dumb.

Nice Work! On the lines of painting, polish it and blue it. Or if your really creative, some armory finish Parkerizing would look very correct on it. Or just polish it up with Quad Ought steel wool and keep it coated in LP3 Rust Inhibitor.

Let's see it in action

We wants pics in action! - Rklein383

Sorry for the delayed response, boys. It is time to remove the rear wheels from the axles on the Dodge Bros. touring car resto, and the hubs did not want to come off of the tapered axles. Here are some shots of the McMurtry DB hub puller in action:

McMurtry hub puller vs DB rear wheel1.jpg

McMurtry hub puller vs DB rear wheel2.jpg

McMurtry hub puller vs DB rear wheel3.jpg

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.gif

just curious, is the inside smooth or are there grooves or something on there to help it grip the hub ?

The hub is externally threaded 2-7/16" X 16 TPI to attach the hub cap, and the hub puller threads on where the hub cap would normally.

I had a lot of trouble removing the rear wheels from the old, rusty square taper rear axles on my '22 Dodge Bros. tourer. I looked everywhere for a Dodge Bros. hub puller, but couldn't find one. The center of the hub is threaded 2-7/16" x 16 TPI.

I finally heard about George McMurtry* and ordered one of his custom-made hub pullers. (He makes hub pullers for many other makes, too.) I am very happy with it. George cuts the puller out of a single block of steel, it is really a work of art, and the stuck hubs came off easily with it. It incorporates a couple of really nice features to make it easier to use: the large bolt is to expand the puller to make it easier to install, and the small bolt is to clamp it down tight on the hub's threads before pulling.

It is definitely the pièce de résistance of my puller collection!

*George McMurtry, P.O. Box 112, Bayard, Nebraska 69334; (308) 586-1930.

View attachment 1715660521

View attachment 1715660522

Wish I had one a while back. I broke the one I had, bend it all to hell trying to get the drum off. The car was off the road so I couldn't drive it with the loose nut. Ended up having to be torched off, cut off not heated. What did it cost you?

-
Back